Doom 64 Wad Project [GZDoom] Version 1.0 released!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 64 Wad Project [GZDoom]

Post by armymen12002003 »

cools beings how doom 64 is the first doom i ever played i think i was 6 when i first played it.

also how many maps will the completed project have?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

looking quite nice so far. Creepy atmosphere. :)
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

armymen12002003 wrote:cools beings how doom 64 is the first doom i ever played i think i was 6 when i first played it.

also how many maps will the completed project have?
If all goes well hopefully atleast 20-30.

Also i'm currently using the DeathIncarnate's sprites for the Revenant's placeholder sprite, atm its kinda fitting in with the rest of the monsters. The Revenant will be shooting 2 small rockets instead of 1 big one.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

okie dokie can't wait 4 it to be released
Unholypimpin

Re: Doom 64 Wad Project [GZDoom] Version 1.0 released!

Post by Unholypimpin »

Version 1.0 has been released! Here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/?1ppi2j3ly8pkq11

The maps still need some work but are 100% playable with skill levels added. Ultra Violence might be too hard for some people so if you want it easy just play on im too young to die.

Map03 still doesnt have any secrets and alot of traps havnt been added to all maps yet, so expect alot of map changes in the next version. The reason why I am not releasing the maps fully detailed or configured is because I will be gone for a week, but i decided why not atleast let people see and play the wad anyways so they get a taste of what I am going for in this project.

If you are going to download the wad atleast give me your feedback and comments on what you thought or any bugs you may have found.

Please note many enemies and weapons are not done yet so anything you dont see in these 3 maps probably doesnt work. The placeholder revenant's are on map03 on ultra violence.

The hud hasnt been worked on yet so just put the hud on fullscreen to get the full doom64 experiance.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Wow again. This is Doom 64 for me. Many thanks for providing this great piece of work.

1- Do we need the jump feature ? I am stuck with two secrets and one yellow key, all unreachable.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

me like... but why no change the texture of the rifle man or pistol man to get a diference like in normal doom...
and sometimes a pistol man can get many bullets before die.. and it supoce they r the weaker ones
so far is very good ;) keep up the good work
PFL

Post by PFL »

Ok,

I have the demo done. It is very good. I feel Doom 64, the music is there ... what else can we expect? The levels are larger than the originals and I like it much. It's also faster paced; I'd say two times or so on UV. Is it ? Is it slower on lower skills ?

On map 1, I couldn't get the yellow key and the secets, so I began to jump. This would be a fine acceptable feature to add, in my opinion. If we're gonna get Doom 64 +, let's get it :P

On map 3, there was a problem with the Cacodemons's upper part being hidden thru a part of the roof/ceiling, almost everywhere.

Then I feel the Revenants's look will do. I like the rockets but I dislike the idea of using twice the same (the Mancubuses's). I would also limit their respawnsiveness (is that a word? :D ). If not, it becomes much unfair. I feel something like 3 times max & 1 respawn out of three or four dead Revenants. That could do it. I love the comeback of the switches. And there is also this:Image

Overall totally pleased with it. I VERY hope you'll reach the Megawad. I would suggest loosing part of the symetry (monsters, health packs and ammo placements, double path corridors, etc.) and keep up adding the Doom 64 special features included in almost each maps, like your moving floor on map 3, the switches, etc. Talking about these, a dead body won't move on it. Don't forget Doom 64 is cruel with key pickups. Don't forget the blue imps and the secret levels to the laser ...
Olroda

Post by Olroda »

Having fought through the demo (on Ultra Violence, as I always do) without actually playing any DooM 64 before, I must say that there is a greater sense of dread than in regular Doom. The monsters look more frightening (especially the pinkies), the music is foreboding, and the dim lightning... All those factors contribute to it. Now, I enjoyed your demo, Mr. AlwaysDooMed, which, to me, felt fast-paced and generally well done. The textures and overall map geometry reminded me somewhat of Quake, which isn't a bad thing in my book. Your 'placeholder' revenants look a lot better and more frightening than the regular ones (more like eight feet tall burn victims, or some such), and upon seeing them for the first time, I mistook them for Imps for a split second or so. A bad move, but in the end, they all enjoyed their bullet breakfasts.
I agree with Mr. PFL, above, that a little less symmetrical placement of enemies would be good, and also, seeing that this is for GZDooM, lights bound to the actors and the flats/textures et cetera would be nice as well (I bet you've thought of this already, though).

I'm looking forward to playing more of this, so keep up the good work!

EDIT: Oh, and about the difficulty of said maps: Challenging, but certainly not unfair. It's excellent as it is, but I wouldn't cry if you turned it up a bit (while still keeping a way out for perceptive and cautious players, of course).
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Ya there are still glitchs with some enemies that will be fixed in the next version. I realize the lostsouls are pretty op atm. They will also be nerfed but not below the difficulty of the d64 lostsouls. Yes jumping is allowed and i will be adding more gameplay features to the wad like gore and destructible bodies as well as new powerups for the player to mess with. I still gotta fix these 3 maps because they actually arnt 100% done gameplay and detail wise. Expect more things in the next alpha test.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

AlwaysDoomed wrote:i will be adding more gameplay features to the wad like gore
Might be entertaining as long as this doesn't turn into Brutal Doom 64
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Oh trust me it will not, i wont allow it.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

hey dude, can you maybe add the weapon enhancements that were made by cage?
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

insightguy wrote:hey dude, can you maybe add the weapon enhancements that were made by cage?
Link cuz idk where to find that
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Heres a list of fixes and changes.

Fixed the graphical error with the imp that made it look like it was meleeing before it died.
Fixed the cacodemons height.
Nerfed the LostSouls, they now are 50% less aggressive and better match the doom64 LostSouls aggressiveness.
maps 1-2 now have more dynamic lights and dynamic sector changes.
map02 now has sector coloring in addition to sector fading.
maps 1-3 now have more sector color variants, rather than just pure sector colors like blue green and red.

Heres a screenshot of the new map Chemical Factory

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”