Doom: The Golden Souls ["Even More Definitive Edition" OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls [Full Version Released!]

Postby Batandy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 am

It's a memory error, it's the thing that's haunting this mod since the very first beta. And i still don't know how to fix it (or if i can fix it). It may also depend on the computer's specs and things like that, i don't really know
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Jaxxoon R » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Zhs2 wrote:not-always-fair platforming combined with bullet sponge possibly-turret enemies

This mod is so much better after I increased the air control to 0.5078125 and halved the plants' health. I also made the Souls and coins XY billboard so they can be seen from above and below.
Jaxxoon R

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Well, I have to say that I really enjoyed the rest of this mod (once I'd removed the FastProjectile settings after the early castle map), we really need more mapsets like this around. Bit too much ammo around (which also led to an excess of coins, as I never had to buy ammo at all) and the aforementioned issues with the plants and the castle map's monster placement, but on the whole really good.
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:03 pm

Batandy wrote:It's a memory error, it's the thing that's haunting this mod since the very first beta. And i still don't know how to fix it (or if i can fix it). It may also depend on the computer's specs and things like that, i don't really know

The main issue here is that you are not properly using .PK3. You are just loading some large embedded WADs, and to handle them they all need to be loaded into RAM when the game starts. So you are wasting more than 80 MB right out of the box. This will definitely hurt you in memory constrained situatioon.

For a start, just putting the maps in a maps/ subdirectory will already reduce memory use by 6 MB but you shouls really consider putting the resources into proper subdirectories, too.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Ed the Bat » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:06 pm

Just wanna be a petty bastard and dig up the past for a moment here...
Batandy wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:
Batandy wrote:As i told you in the pm, i was not going to add it because i'm still using XWE as my main editor, while slade can open pk3s, XWE can't

I didn't know it couldn't even do that. That's... depressing.

Well, would you prefer just a .wad format? That would certainly be better than 13 separate .wad's inside of a .pk3...

Nope, right now it's working just fine, i don't see the problem at all. When all the maps will be complete i'll start converting it into a proper pk3 directory.

...though, as Batandy has promised me he'll be putting it into proper .pk3 structure when the final release comes, I guess it's a moot point.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Jeimuzu73 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:39 pm

What exact version of GZDoom was used when this came out?
Jeimuzu73
Name's Odd. James Odd.

Postby Batandy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 am

Ed the Bat wrote:Just wanna be a petty bastard and dig up

...though, as Batandy has promised me he'll be putting it into proper .pk3 structure when the final release comes, I guess it's a moot point.

Let's say that i "evolved" when making this thing. Before Golden Souls i didn't even know how to make weapon reload states. Golden Souls was a great experience to learn new stuff for advanced projects, and the sequel will be more based on what i can improve and what i can learn next. A Pk3 version will come for sure, but i still want to give it some time before wrapping it up, i don't know, maybe someone's still working on a map for it or something like that.

MJ79 wrote:What exact version of GZDoom was used when this came out?

I don't remember, but i'm sure that it works with june 2014's dev versions, i think.
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby SiFi270 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:57 am

This feels like the kind of issue a fool would have, but... when I try to run this mod with the version of GZDoom you recommended, I get this message:
Is there something obvious I'm missing, or is the problem with my computer, or is it something else entirely? I'm a really big fan of Mario and Doom, and I'd hate to miss out on a mod like this.
SiFi270

Postby Gez » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:16 pm

You can try GZDoom 1.8.10.
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6482

The issue is that GZDoom 2.x needs OpenGL 3.0, which your hardware (or perhaps just the drivers?) obviously does not support. GZDoom 1.8 uses the older renderer which works with OpenGL 2.0. It's updated from time to time, 1.8.10 should have all the features needed by Golden Souls.
Gez

Postby SiFi270 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

That worked. Thanks a bunch!
SiFi270

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Wasn't 1.81 really unstable? (hence why it got replaced immediately)

I played it with 1.86 without any issues.
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Devianteist » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:47 pm

I personally was unable to get this mod working with the 1.8 builds, but was able to get it rolling with the 1.9 builds.
Devianteist
Dev, resident lurking user.

Discord: #0561

Postby Gez » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:48 pm

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Wasn't 1.81 really unstable? (hence why it got replaced immediately)

I played it with 1.86 without any issues.

There's no such thing as 1.81 or 1.86. There's 1.8.01, 1.8.02, 1.8.03, 1.8.04, 1.8.05, 18.06, 1.8.07, 1.8.08, 1.8.09, and 1.8.10. 1.8.01 was replaced immediately, but 1.8.10 is a different version which is stable enough.
Gez

Postby Patriot1776 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Darn good mapset and conversion! Played all through it Sunday night. Only thing I was a bit disappointed in: no floating/flying GigaBowser Head as the final boss. I was impressed with the
Spoiler:
Patriot1776

Postby Jeimuzu73 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:51 pm

I've tested TGS on 1.8.1. The room issue appears to be fixed, but the lighting effects aren't prominent (which makes levels like Ghost House much darker since the candles don't have that glowing effect added to them). There's also a weird visual glitch whenever the item shop door is open.
Jeimuzu73
Name's Odd. James Odd.

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects