Doom: The Golden Souls ["Even More Definitive Edition" OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls [Full Version Released!]

Postby Batandy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:31 am

kmxexii wrote:review is up for any interested parties. this was really cool but im glad that you are quickly moving on to golden souls 2 which looks hell of sweet in that promo vid. also tumblr link for funsies

Thank you! It's a very professional article and it'll be really useful for the making of the sequel!
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Captain J » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 am

oh crap, really? are you really prepared for it's sequel? can't hella wait then, if it's don't need to be update anymore.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby luigiman0640 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Sami wrote:I played the mod so far today to 13 golden souls. The mod is awesome, very funny and the maps are really good and fresh to play, congratulations! I'm enjoying this a lot

I have to say that the HUD could be more pretty, it is functional and good, but maybe the icons could be a bit tweaked, little thing, nothing very important. By the way, im stuck at 13 golden souls, how i should open the black doors in the castle? I need more golden souls! :D

I have the same problem. I had fun through all the levels, but I need 2 more Souls to get up the stairs and I don't know where to find them. I'm guessing the metal doors throughout the manor, but I can't get them open.
luigiman0640
Retro/Nintendo Fanatic

Discord: luigiman0640#0351
Twitch ID: luigiman0640
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Triple S » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:53 pm

A metal door indicates a secret exit within the level closest to it. Go in and search around!

The first level has one. I'll give you a pretty easy hint:

When you take a path from inside the building that leads outside and around the house to a lone skull switch, the path to the secret exit is around there somewhere. In fact, you might even be able to see it on the automap. Perhaps you should practice climbing trees while you're looking.
Triple S

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:49 pm

i thought the only way to reach the place was to rocket jump. :p i mean, you can buy a full heal from any of the shops anyway.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby luigiman0640 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:36 pm

Triple S wrote:A metal door indicates a secret exit within the level closest to it. Go in and search around!

The first level has one. I'll give you a pretty easy hint:

When you take a path from inside the building that leads outside and around the house to a lone skull switch, the path to the secret exit is around there somewhere. In fact, you might even be able to see it on the automap. Perhaps you should practice climbing trees while you're looking.

I found the secrets and beat the boss. Good thing I did find all the secret levels, cuz now I'm in the "All Souls" door.
Spoiler:

This is a great game to add to any Doom and/or Mario fan's collection. I'm planning on making a level for the bonus levels behind the Doom Coin door(s).
I've just gotta come up with an idea first...
luigiman0640
Retro/Nintendo Fanatic

Discord: luigiman0640#0351
Twitch ID: luigiman0640
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Zhs2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:59 pm

This was... pretty alright. I think it's great for a start, and ambitious for a single person, but recognized regardless. My main complaint is that it's a bit... lackluster. It tries to be both Doom and Mario, but never really borrows the best strengths of either. At its core, it's a megawad of not-always-fair platforming combined with bullet sponge possibly-turret enemies and weapons that never really feel like you're dealing damage so much as emptying a clip and hoping what you're shooting at dies. In aesthetics, it excels - the maps are tastefully designed and textured. The music choices are not consistent in the slightest but aren't bad, either - just a bit jarring to go from WHOA SUPER MARIO GALAXY to okay some Yoshi's Island. Overall, it's pretty average in being light-hearted gaming, and it could have done perhaps with some more amusing gimmicks and also more pistol ammo because I feel like the pistol was forgotten about like a Doom pistol instead of offered as an alternative sidearm for a number of situations. B+ for Batandy.
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Zeblid » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 am

Wicked mod, but I get a crash every time when trying to re-enter Map08 from the painting.
Spoiler:

Works fine with changemap though... It says the same thing in the console, but the level appears to be fine.

Also I have a handful of missing texture errors which is sort of weird, but that doesn't affect gameplay.
Zeblid

Postby Batandy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Zeblid wrote:Wicked mod, but I get a crash every time when trying to re-enter Map08 from the painting.
Spoiler:

Works fine with changemap though... It says the same thing in the console, but the level appears to be fine.

Also I have a handful of missing texture errors which is sort of weird, but that doesn't affect gameplay.

Huh, this never happened before, are you sure that you're running it with an unmodified DOOM2.wad? Are you using the latest Gzdoom dev build?
Batandy

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I'd suggest removing the FastSpeed entries from decorate, as it makes the affected projectiles impossible to dodge. (I was quite enjoying this mod until the early castle map, hopefully now I've removed said entries it'll improve)
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Zeblid » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:09 pm

My Doom2 is fine, and I got my GZDoom from the link you provided. I'm not an expert, so It's probably just me, but who knows.

Also, did you happen to make a list of all the music you used in this? Some of them are on the tip of my tongue but I can't figure it out.
Zeblid

Postby jpalomo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:37 pm

The golden souls and coins really need to have +Inventory.NeverRespawn. I use the 'items respawn' dmflag, and it breaks progression easily.
jpalomo

Postby Jeimuzu73 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 pm

The game crashes whenever I try to return to the castle hub, even though I've just downloaded the latest version of GZDoom.
Jeimuzu73
Name's Odd. James Odd.

Postby Batandy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:44 am

MJ79 wrote:The game crashes whenever I try to return to the castle hub, even though I've just downloaded the latest version of GZDoom.

Post the error message please

jpalomo wrote:The golden souls and coins really need to have +Inventory.NeverRespawn. I use the 'items respawn' dmflag, and it breaks progression easily.

Will do, thanks, i've also added it to GS2
Batandy

Postby Jeimuzu73 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:02 am

The error report isn't very helpful, but I saved a copy of what just happened just in case.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Jeimuzu73
Name's Odd. James Odd.

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects