Doom: The Golden Souls ["Even More Definitive Edition" OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls [Beta Released]

Post by Batandy »

GooberMan wrote:Yes, like the "Unable to open LEVEL01" error I get every time I leave the first map.

One little quibble I have is that the revolver doesn't check its reload at the end of a shot, but at the beginning. Which means that I have to wait for a reload animation if I have nothing in the chamber and run face-first in to an imp.

But yeah, not bad so far.
Wierd, i've never had such error, nor my other testers, what sourceport are you using? I've tested the game with gzdoom and zandronum
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

The platforming is, as expected with Doom, fiddly, and can get frustrating. I suggest screwing with Doomguy's jump height and friction to make it feel better, and so you can actually stick to platforms.

There are some jitters in the giant coin animation, and you can often just stand outside of the 'piranha plants' range, making them a bullet-soaking obstacle at times instead of a proper threat.

In Vanilla Hills, the decorative rainbow bridges seem like you should be able to walk on them, due to the rainbow water you can swim in, so that confused me. Several visual indicators, the rainbow 'bridges' included, seemed to indicate that you could get to the outer ring of the level, which was in fact only decorative.

The puzzle level was made overly difficult due simply to the fact that the rockets have splash damage. There was one part where I was standing on the correct platform, and got thrown off simply due to the splash of the rockets hitting the neighboring platforms. It's a factor out of the player's control, and doesn't reward a successful dodge.

Nonetheless, this shows real promise so long as you work hard at making the platforming parts rewarding and not frustrating, and work out the minor stuff. I enjoyed the quick, yet not-standard gunplay.

EDIT: I also, on GZDoom, got the Level01 error. Even using the Map command, it seemed to not exist.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Yep. GZDoom 1.7.0 here. I can't find any reference to LEVEL01 in your MAPINFO, but the map name is "The Earth Base" according to the intermission screen if that means anything.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

GooberMan wrote:Yep. GZDoom 1.7.0 here. I can't find any reference to LEVEL01 in your MAPINFO, but the map name is "The Earth Base" according to the intermission screen if that means anything.
The Earth Base is the first level of "No Rest for the Living", it's really wierd...Are you playing with the Doom 3 BFG edition of doom? Else, something in the latest version of gzdoom must be screwed. I've tested the mod with an older version of gzdoom and it never gave me this problem
Captain Ventris wrote:The platforming is, as expected with Doom, fiddly, and can get frustrating. I suggest screwing with Doomguy's jump height and friction to make it feel better, and so you can actually stick to platforms. *And other stuff*
I've noticed that something's different between the jumping on gzdoom and the jumping on zandronum, in gzdoom it looks like you get "slowed down" when you jump, while in zandronum, you keep the same friction, that makes it way easier to control your player on these maps.
Since i've mapped and tested the mod mostly on Zandronum, i'd recommend to play the mod on it instead of Gzdoom, while i try to fix this issue
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Batandy wrote:Are you playing with the Doom 3 BFG edition of doom?
I do not own the BFG edition.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I'm getting the same problem running GZDoom with DOOM2.WAD.

I just looked inside the wad files and can't find anything that would cause this bug, but I'm not a mapper so I've probably missed something.

(the way you handle the ladder is genius btw)

One suggestion: allow the player to jump onto the pool table in the main hub. It seems very artificial to prevent the player from doing that and gives the wrong impression about what to expect in actual play.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Vaecrius wrote:I'm getting the same problem running GZDoom with DOOM2.WAD.

I just looked inside the wad files and can't find anything that would cause this bug, but I'm not a mapper so I've probably missed something.

(the way you handle the ladder is genius btw)

One suggestion: allow the player to jump onto the pool table in the main hub. It seems very artificial to prevent the player from doing that and gives the wrong impression about what to expect in actual play.
Hmm, i think you're right, i made that pool table in an early development stage, when i still had to plan the room and the other stuff, it's time to remove those "block player" lines.

And, about that bug, i don't think it's related on something i did, i've never called one of these levels "LEVEL01" and i didn't copy the code from no rest for the living. My best advice right now is to play the mod on Zandronum, it work perfectly with that sourceport
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'll take some time to investigate it for you, but off the bat, my suspicion is that trying to teleport to Map 0 is confusing the engine, since I don't believe you intended for it to go to an intermission screen once the Golden Soul was collected.

I'll report back if I find any more useful information.

Yep, that seems to be it.
Changing this:

Code: Select all

Teleport_NewMap (0, 1, 0);
...to this:

Code: Select all

ChangeLevel("MAP00",1,0,CHANGELEVEL_NOINTERMISSION);
Got things working for me.

Does Zandronum support that ACS command? If so, you should be golden (no pun intended).
Last edited by Ed the Bat on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Batandy wrote:I've noticed that something's different between the jumping on gzdoom and the jumping on zandronum, in gzdoom it looks like you get "slowed down" when you jump, while in zandronum, you keep the same friction, that makes it way easier to control your player on these maps.
Since i've mapped and tested the mod mostly on Zandronum, i'd recommend to play the mod on it instead of Gzdoom, while i try to fix this issue
A thing here is that while Zandronum can do ZDoom jump physics, the reverse isn't true.

So unless you were planning on using aircontrol (which doesn't work with Zandronum physics), you might want to cut you losses on making it ZDoom compatible since the discrepancy between the two jump physics will make precision platforming impossible.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

XutaWoo wrote:
Batandy wrote:I've noticed that something's different between the jumping on gzdoom and the jumping on zandronum, in gzdoom it looks like you get "slowed down" when you jump, while in zandronum, you keep the same friction, that makes it way easier to control your player on these maps.
A thing here is that while Zandronum can do ZDoom jump physics, the reverse isn't true.

So unless you were planning on using aircontrol (which doesn't work with Zandronum physics), you might want to cut you losses on making it ZDoom compatible since the discrepancy between the two jump physics will make precision platforming impossible.
I don't want to make it Zdoom compatible honestly, because the mod requires the OpenGL render,and i prefer to develop it on Zandronum since there's the possibility of making it multiplayer-compatible.
I'll do my best to make the jumping sections work on both sourceports, afterall, i'm not making a jumpmaze mod
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Batandy wrote: I don't want to make it Zdoom compatible honestly, because the mod requires the OpenGL render,and i prefer to develop it on Zandronum since there's the possibility of making it multiplayer-compatible.
I'll do my best to make the jumping sections work on both sourceports, afterall, i'm not making a jumpmaze mod
ZDoom can use an OpenGL renderer. It's called GZDoom. :P
And maybe there's just something wrong in my brain, but I find the GL renderer in Zandronum really hurts my eyes, wheras GZDoom doesn't. Zandronum just looks all fuzzy and desaturated to me, somehow...
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i "think" it might be because Zandronum doesn't have any filter set on by default? in GZDoom, there's a number of filters you can turn on, which makes the game not as grainy and pixelly, which works fine in software, but not in Open GL. not sure if Zandronum does have such options or not, though.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I actually find GZDoom's filters to be nauseating. I much prefer the game to be pixelated. Not saying you're on the wrong track here, but my gut tells me the issue lies elsewhere. I did hear once that Skulltag (and I suppose by extension Zandronum) is forced to use an outdated GL renderer, due to some kind of legal stipulation.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

The new rendering shader in GZdoom makes it look much nicer than the default settings. I think it's called "software" IIRC.
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

I get this error when i spawn in Vanilla Hills. :c
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”