[VERSION 1.01] Prime Directive (aka Space Station Omega 2)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GooberMan

Re: [RELEASED!] Prime Directive (Space Station Omega 2)

Post by GooberMan »

The WADs "everywhere" are solely in the root folder and are just the resources as I grabbed them unedited (for the most part).

Keep in mind that this project did not exist as a PK3 until it was released. Unzip to a folder and run from the folder. It's about 100% more sane for editing purposes. The DBS files link in the resources correctly (minus path alteration you'll need to make, they're just text files) which should make it easier to play with.

EDIT: 1am posting. I'll expand. Thanks for the offer.

But memory concerns aren't a concern as I see it. When it decompressed those extra WADs in to memory on load, what you're getting further on down the track are loading time benefits. If the content of those WADs were loose in the PK3, then they'd be decompressed each time you switch maps, and considering I heavily use hub features that time will add up. To be quite honest, I'm not too comfortable having PNGs in a PK3 as loading it results in two decompression operations (one from the PK3, one for the zlib data inside the PNG). I know I should probably move the main maps to the /maps folder at least, but I'm not sure if they're decompressed on PK3 mount. If they aren't, then that's a decompress as well as the UDMF text parse, resulting in slower load times.
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

What the.. default weapon sprites are overriding my weapons mod :/
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Uh oh. Someone didn't read the text file where I said weapons/gameplay mods aren't supported.

Specifically, there's a new player class and I reimplemented the vanilla weapons with stats tracking. Your weapons mod will not be able to deal with it. If you want it to work with your favourite weapons mod, remix and upload it yourself. Prime Directive is released under a Creative Commons license, and as such remixing is encouraged.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I'll be uploading a bug fixed version within the next day. There is a minor/major change included too - marines are now colour coded according to what weapon they have. If some spriter thinks that's rubbish and wants to make vwep versions of the female skin I'm using, then please go ahead and do so as that would be by far my preferred option.

If you've found any bugs, now's the time to let me know. I just found out about an interesting one where someone had managed to get down in to the marine barracks without obtaining the yellow card. That shouldn't be possible... but since it clearly is I'll have to work out how to fix it.
GooberMan

Re: [VERSION 1.01] Prime Directive (aka Space Station Omega

Post by GooberMan »

Version 1.01 is released! Get it from the idgames archive (or if it hasn't updated yet, my Google Drive).

What has changed in this version?
  • Marines now have their weapons colour coded
  • SSG marines now have a reload time
  • Someone found a rather major dead end with the yellow key, so there is now a safety barrier in place
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes
A bit of a FAQ is in order here before you consider this download too.
FAQ wrote:Does this work with weapons mods?

No. I define a new player class, and all vanilla weapons are reimplemented with tracking abilities. Weapons mods cannot deal with this. If you want to make it work with your favourite weapons mod, by all means do it yourself and release a path/remixed version for the community. Prime Directive is released under a Creative Commons license and as such remixing is encouraged.

Should I play this if I can't stand story in Doom mods?

No. This is not the mod for you.

Should I play this if I can't stand RPG elements in Doom mods?

Maybe. If you can stand the story, there is a path you can take through the mod that doesn't want you to level up a weapon. The Gateway Experiments aim to give the player choice and freedom, so while I don't signpost things the choice of progression is entirely up to you.

Should I 100% this thing? What have I missed?

There are some pretty silly goals required to 100% this mapset. That's intentional. The idea of 100% completing a game is something I find a bit silly, especially in such a choice-driven experience as Prime Directive, so there's some silly things you need to do to 100% it. More interesting though is how little percentage you can complete it in...
Further to this, I have recorded a commentary and (near) 100% playthrough for Prime Directive. If you don't want to play, or you want some insight in to the plot and how I approached creating it, then devote two and a half hours of your life to listening to my voice and watching the following:

GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Post-Development Diary #1

So, it's out. And seems to be getting the kind of response I was expecting - those that liked it really liked it; those that don't like story based mods hated it; and it's not very visible in amongst the crowd. It does get a bit away from standard Doom play; and being incompatible with weapons mods certainly limits the audience for those that can't live without autoloads. As a continuation of something I started in late 2001 though, it's quite solid and I got to try out some ideas I've been wanting to do for a while.

There's a certain expectation of only doing concepts that are proven to work in my line of work. Dealing with Elaine in Prime Directive was the perfect execuse for me to experiment with some of the psychological stuff I've been theorising about over the years. I didn't want to do the full system, so I bastardised it right down to something I could use in this mod to tell the story and give it fluidity. How you treat Elaine throughout the mod dictates how she reacts towards you and other events. Calling it a tree is a bad idea, since actions you take don't affect things in a tree-like manner. Developing even this constrained version gave me better ideas on how to progress with the full system, so even if I never released Prime Directive I considered it a resounding personal success.

Now that it's done and dusted... Well, I have a game to ship. Quantum Break will need the lion's share of my attention. I'm an engine programmer at Remedy, which tl;dr means that when shit breaks I'm going to be one of the guys doing all-nighters to make it not broken. I still have Z-Kart's physics to get in to shape. I've made a fork of Chocolate Doom to play around with. And I've also had ideas on how to approach further episodes in The Gateway Experiments... but since I want to roll it all in to a commercial FPS with an original IP backing it up, I really doubt I'll make an Episode 6.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

review posted on my blog, thank you for this.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

I'll cross-post what I said on DW about that:
Gooberman on DW wrote:A far more detailed review than I was expecting. Good read. It did highlight that I didn't take in to account everyone's settings correctly. I hinted through dialogue that you'd need the crouch and jump buttons... but promptly forgot that purists wouldn't use freeaim. Derp.

Just a note: Altfire is the heal mode (and scales according to how powered up you are). I tried to hint that through the "one hand to destroy, one hand to heal" dialogue, but I guess it wasn't that successful.

The Cronenberg body horror is definitely an angle I was pursuing, but the ongoing plot is more of a deconstruction of the video-game-hero power fantasy and the people that play them (the decision of what you tell Elaine after returning from hell is one of my favourite parts - no amount of power and skill with the game mechanics can save you there). The end of Prime Directive is when that part of the plot starts to get really interesting. I know, I should stop teasing right?

EDIT: I did notice when I started making this that the community may not be all receptive to the playstyle being put forward. The "VANILLA IS BEST" backlash was in full swing, and weapons mods pretty much comprised the bulk of ZDoom-based output. The audience it has found though loves it. So yay for that.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

updated the review with the healing move info, a failure on my part
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Heh, and it's not quite accurate info. When you haven't upgraded the weapon at all, it's a 1:1 ratio for healing from ammo used. But it scales up as you collect more capacity items. A heal with all 9 capacity items and 50 ammo gets you nearly 80 health from memory.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

fffffff

since i didn't have a savegame anymore, i just did a "give all" which filled me up to "full" capacity (50?) but, as you pointed out, the mechanics of the actual capacity upgrades (apparently) scales the healing, which is different from just having 50 ammo. sploops!
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

take baronammo 45

give baroncapacity 9

See the scaling in effect.
JoeCapricorn

Post by JoeCapricorn »

So stuck on this WAD - though it has been fun so far...

I found the first red key fragment but I cannot find anything else.

I looked at the video you posted that is two and a half hours in, and at the 1 hour 9 minute mark you activate a computer panel that activates a teleport to Sector 76.

When I try to activate that panel nothing happens. Do I need to do something else before?
blakecasimir

Post by blakecasimir »

Joe Capricorn wrote:So stuck on this WAD - though it has been fun so far...

I found the first red key fragment but I cannot find anything else.

I looked at the video you posted that is two and a half hours in, and at the 1 hour 9 minute mark you activate a computer panel that activates a teleport to Sector 76.

When I try to activate that panel nothing happens. Do I need to do something else before?
I'm in exactly the same situation. Please help, someone?
csiga77

Post by csiga77 »

I can't open the youtube-seen computer to enter the password. Please fix this, it was so much fun to get there...

Maybe I have the same problems as my predecessors: half red key, got the pass, I know where to put it, and... stuck.

It would be a wonderful mod!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”