[Reboot] Hell Rising

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Guardsoul

[Reboot] Hell Rising

Post by Guardsoul »

So, after getting some more experience taking part in several projects like ZDCMP2, Zombie Horde, All Out Wars 2, Invasion Unleashed 2 and other stuff, I (finally) decided to reboot this project due to the continuous comments of people that want this to be done (not complaining about that!).

What´s going on now?

The main objective hasn´t changed:
- 3 episodes
- 32 maps
- Bunch of new enemies
- Stronghold weapons

So what´s new?

Welp, the main difference with the old version are the maps and the difficulty curve. All of them are new from scrath and some of them have some tributes to other ZDoom projects.

This doesn´t mean that old maps will be scrapped. They will be added as new levels with several tweaks to them.

Right, where is the download link?

Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?ke218j6u6e79bgc

But you better take a look at these fancy screenshots:
Spoiler: Bunch of images
There are 5 fully playable maps at the moment. I´ll be updating the download link each time 5 new maps are done.

Enjoy!
Spoiler: Old post
Last edited by Guardsoul on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Shadelight

Re: Hell Rising Demo

Post by Shadelight »

You do know that the weapons from Stronghold were actually weapons from an old version of Demon Eclipse, right? :P
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Didnt know that :shock: I havent played Demon Eclipse :oops:
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Soul wrote:Didnt know that :shock: I havent played Demon Eclipse :oops:
Don't worry, neither have I. :) I played the first level up to where I got splattered by a wayward rocket. It's pretty well designed overall, although I'd probably put a teleporter in the little nukage pit. I'd recommend running the titlepic through some sort of filter in Photoshop or something as well: the standard Icon of Sin you currently have isn't overly original.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

0bsidian wrote: I'd recommend running the titlepic through some sort of filter in Photoshop or something as well: the standard Icon of Sin you currently have isn't overly original.
I´ll probably create a titlemap for the title showing some hellish places :D
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Looks promising - visually it reminds me of Simplicity. Just a couple of things:

- MAP02 has quite a bit of backtracking with no combat. I'd say toss in a couple more monster teleports after the blue and yellow keys.
- Missing texture here:

Other than that, keep at it. This deserves to be finished.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

scalliano wrote: - MAP02 has quite a bit of backtracking with no combat. I'd say toss in a couple more monster teleports after the blue and yellow keys.
I think so, to much time running all over the map without action :?
scalliano wrote: - Missing texture here:
:bang: I thought that I had added all the textures :bang:

Anyways, thanks for the feedback and also the scientist :D
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Good to see them being used :)
Guardsoul

Re: [WIP] Hell Rising (Level 3 completed!!)

Post by Guardsoul »

OK guys, I have finished level 3! New screenshots have been posted :D
Guardsoul

Re: [WIP] Hell Rising (Level 4 finished, new link soon)

Post by Guardsoul »

Level 4 is finished, one more map and I will post the new link!
Guardsoul

Re: [Alpha] Hell Rising (New link aviable, feedback needed!)

Post by Guardsoul »

Due to incoming university exams, other proyects and events that are happening I cannot finish map05 in a short space :cry: time but also dont want to leave you without a release too much time, so I have updated this version with maps 1 - 4. Hope you enjoy them until I finish map05 :smile:.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Really enjoyed this. Good looking levels that were fun to play through. A few minor points:

Your end of level/intermission screen is not widescreen friendly.
You can easily fix this by extending the sides.

I thought that there was too much back-tracking/criss crossing across the level on map02. It got a little confusing and, looking at it on the automap, some of the confusion could be alleviated by providing shortcuts. Near the start, there is a choice of two ways to go. I picked one option that took me well through the map and it all seemed quite logical - I was making good progress - so by the time I got stuck and couldn't go any further, I'd almost forgotten that there was another unexplored route and it was quite a long way back for me to go ans find it.

There are soooooo many boxes. Seriously, in some areas there are boxes littered all over the corridors. Health and safety would have a field day with all that clutter being left in the corridors.

The train level is cramped and difficult to negotiate. That's fair enough and in the nature of such a level but you could look at it again to see if any of it could be made easier to walk around. It's a very wide train isn't it. :P

You probably know this but the console spits out some errors:
Spoiler: When loading up during startup
Spoiler: When loading the train level

As I said though, those comments are relatively minor points and, on the whole I had fun playing it through. I admit I did map03 too quickly and I will go back and play it properly later.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Enjay wrote: I thought that there was too much back-tracking/criss crossing across the level on map02. It got a little confusing and, looking at it on the automap, some of the confusion could be alleviated by providing shortcuts. Near the start, there is a choice of two ways to go. I picked one option that took me well through the map and it all seemed quite logical - I was making good progress - so by the time I got stuck and couldn't go any further, I'd almost forgotten that there was another unexplored route and it was quite a long way back for me to go ans find it.

There are soooooo many boxes. Seriously, in some areas there are boxes littered all over the corridors. Health and safety would have a field day with all that clutter being left in the corridors.
Ye, Im still asking myself if I should add some more action after picking a key :? and Im also trying not to fill evey room with crates :P

Enjay wrote:
Spoiler: When loading the train level
Holy shit, I forgot to add a texture again! :bang:

Anyaways, thanks for the feedback, thats so much coming from you :D
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Uploaded some screenshots from level 5 (its about 45% done)
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Re: [Alpha] Hell Rising (Working on level 5!)

Post by FANADICALCOWHEAD »

this wad is amazing, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing through a demo. I really loved the overall Knee Deep in Zdoom aesthetics of the maps, and the GZDA weapons fit right in with the high quality levels
32 maps is a lot handle for just one person, I don't think you'll have much support from the community, few here have skill to make maps of your magnitude, though I would love to help, I don't have the ability to make maps the wad's standard.

Return to “Levels”