Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:This project is a long time coming with quite clearly tons and tons of work poured into it. I can't wait until it is done. :)

Same here.

But Twitter? Ugh... It's one of the sites I tend to avoid like the plague - right after Facebook.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Our plan is to post smaller but more frequent updates, anything major will be posted in the threads so don't worry. More location shots as well as monster concepts are coming.
Graf Zahl wrote:But Twitter? Ugh... It's one of the sites I tend to avoid like the plague - right after Facebook.
The reality is that even a project that is of the highest quality will be overlooked if the the public is not aware of it. Social media are the main promotion channels right now and it wouldn't be wise to ignore them, that's how things are now.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

If it's standalone... will it be a commercial release or not? At this point I actually wouldn't mind if it was. Would have already paid for REKKR (and still would).
Gez

Post by Gez »

A commercial release would require remaking the monster sprites from scratch, because last time I checked the resprites for classic monsters were based on the Doom 64 sprites. E.g. look at the demon here:
Cage wrote:Video clip of the minigun is up! :) Alt-fire is still wip, but I'm sure it will be very useful in-game as well as surprising!

(Video Clip 720p)

If you want to help this project, please ReTweet:
https://twitter.com/CagesCorner/status/ ... 1989794816
Thank you!
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Gez wrote:A commercial release would require remaking the monster sprites from scratch, because last time I checked the resprites for classic monsters were based on the Doom 64 sprites.
Yup that is correct. There are lots of direct Doom assets that have been used as a base for new artwork. We're in the process of weeding out anything that's directly Doom related.

The project is essentially being reborn as something entirely new; that includes a new story/lore, new monsters, a couple new weapon behaviors (can't have a BFG obviously), new sounds, etc etc. It's going to be completely devoid of any Doom assets or direct Doom references. So while we don't really have an answer on whether it will be a commercial release, we're not ruling that out. Making it our own thing makes it that much easier to go the commercial release route.

By the way, the OP is obviously out-of-date now. I'll try to get that updated at some point when the project is in a more concrete state.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Honestly, that D64 demon looks amazing. It fixes everything that I don't like about the D64 sprites and keeps all the good stuff.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That chaingun looks super fantastic too. And yeah, D64 enemies might work with this kind of style.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Whether this is going commercial or not, it looks like it's going to be great. This could be for Doom what Ion Fury was for Duke Nukem 3D. Maybe the comparison is inadequate and I am exaggerating, but all the material shown so far send out strong, positive signals.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Mechadon wrote:
Gez wrote:A commercial release would require remaking the monster sprites from scratch, because last time I checked the resprites for classic monsters were based on the Doom 64 sprites.
Yup that is correct. There are lots of direct Doom assets that have been used as a base for new artwork. We're in the process of weeding out anything that's directly Doom related.

The project is essentially being reborn as something entirely new; that includes a new story/lore, new monsters, a couple new weapon behaviors (can't have a BFG obviously), new sounds, etc etc. It's going to be completely devoid of any Doom assets or direct Doom references. So while we don't really have an answer on whether it will be a commercial release, we're not ruling that out. Making it our own thing makes it that much easier to go the commercial release route.

By the way, the OP is obviously out-of-date now. I'll try to get that updated at some point when the project is in a more concrete state.
this makes me a little sad.
Was kinda into it as a new/parallel doom storyline.. also, So much good work done on the d64 imp, demon, hellknight etc... Will these simply be scrapped or released on the resources forum as free assets..?
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

osjclatchford wrote:on the resources forum as free assets..?
I understand the sentiment but I feel like this question will answer itself in time, no need to pout about it just yet
Mechadon

Re: [WIP - Standalone Game] Supplice

Post by Mechadon »

Hey guys! Just so you know, we're still working very hard on this. Most of what we've shown off has been relegated to our Twitter page. I will try to make more of an effort to post updates here from now on, even if its just a link to the latest tweet.

I've also updated the first post with more up-to-date information about the project.

Anyways, I recently finished up the detailing phase for a new map. So I figured it would be nice to share some screenshots :D

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

And here's a DB shot for anyone interested in that stuff.

I'm sure we'll have more stuff to show off in the near future!
Last edited by Mechadon on Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

This is starting to look more like Unreal than Doom. I'm liking the art direction immensely.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

The art and design are beyond awesome!! :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Vostyok wrote:This is starting to look more like Unreal than Doom. I'm liking the art direction immensely.
It looks more like the commercial release of Back to Saturn X to me. :mrgreen:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Nmn wrote:The art and design are beyond awesome!! :)
Seconded.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”