Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mechadon

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by Mechadon »

Hey guys, I have some goodies to share! I finished up the visual pass on my first official map a few days ago. So here are some screenshots :)

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

The map's name is "Romeda". It will likely show up somewhere in the middle of the first theme (so maybe a MAP03 or MAP04). I'm not sure if you can tell from the DB shot, but its a medium-sized map; its probably one of the smallest maps I've made in a long time.

I can't make any concrete comments on the gameplay yet since that hasn't been fleshed out. But more than likely its going to be a mostly linear affair, perhaps with two or three minor path deviations if I can make that work.

Hopefully I'll have some more map stuff to show off soon!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Oh my goodness, that looks so beautiful...

It's like Back To Saturn X mashed with something else I've only seen in my head... :D

And... DAT BLOOM. It really adds to the atmosphere! Remind me to actually enable Bloom while playing Supplice... XD
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh Merda, Romeda looks very acinent and excellent! And after looking at the computer map... I don't think this is small! D:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Small for a mechadon map perhaps...
Tasty stuff. Must ask? It seems from the pics that bloom only effects the lights and sky. Is this just due to the vibrant colours or is it down to some other trickery. Not all that familiar with bloom. Too much lag for me when I activate it... in gzdoom:(
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

osjclatchford wrote:Small for a mechadon map perhaps...
Tasty stuff. Must ask? It seems from the pics that bloom only effects the lights and sky. Is this just due to the vibrant colours or is it down to some other trickery. Not all that familiar with bloom. Too much lag for me when I activate it... in gzdoom:(
I agree that this looks very very cool. Looking forward to this more than anything!

On subject of bloom, it seems to be most affected by contrast. Bright lights/colours in dark areas will bloom more than lights in well lit areas. See below for an example:
Spoiler:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Vostyok wrote:...On subject of bloom, it seems to be most affected by contrast. Bright lights/colours in dark areas will bloom more than lights in well lit areas...

makes sense... so its down to the clever design aspects of choosing specifically bright coloured objects against darker muted tones to get the lovely bloom to work in your favour (to imitate natural glowing) nicely. logically bright designed light and sky textures will naturally bloom. awesome stuff especially in a mod with design aesthetic like supplice. bloom will just make everything nicer...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I must admit, I don't really "get" the whole bloom=natural thing. When I walk around the world, I'm not really seeing bloom-like effects everywhere. I guess I'm missing out on something. That and my eyes don't seem to give me a massive lens flare, or a refraction artefact or whatever those are called either. I feel deprived.

edit:
Heh, found this posted by MaxED some time ago...
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

... Yeah, that's the reason why we should keep the blooming down so we won't hurt our eyes so badly.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Enjay wrote:I must admit, I don't really "get" the whole bloom=natural thing. When I walk around the world, I'm not really seeing bloom-like effects everywhere. I guess I'm missing out on something. That and my eyes don't seem to give me a massive lens flare, or a refraction artefact or whatever those are called either. I feel deprived.

edit:
Heh, found this posted by MaxED some time ago...
Spoiler:
Yeah... Kinda like the world according to JJ Abrams!
Cage

Post by Cage »

Don't worry guys, I've been running this thing in ZDoom recently, and it's looking great there as well!

And if you thought Heavy Weapon Dudes were bad news, wait till you meet their friends...

Monsters are scary, but I'm getting pretty decent progress, I think actually better than I expected - currently 11 are finished out of 29 planned, and I've started them last year pretty much, around September.

So that's the recent update. Wish me luck ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cage wrote:[Image]
:surprise:

They look amazing. I especially like the one with the helmet/visor.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

What is the hazmat trooper supposed to be? An alternative skin for the Chaingunner?

In any case, I wonder if it could work as a basis for a Doom 64 chaingunner.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:What is the hazmat trooper supposed to be? An alternative skin for the Chaingunner?
He's the "Flamer", which is a flamethrower zombie variant. We'll have a flamethrower weapon for the player, and I thought it could be cool to have a zombie variant that has the same weapon.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm so happy to see how well-integrated the modern post processing stuff looks in these maps. Normally, when you play a Doom-ey mapset and you turn on the PP stuff, they kinda look tacked on.

Amazing colour palette and lighting, and as always, your level design stuff remains top quality. Ten thumbs up. :D
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Mechadon wrote:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:What is the hazmat trooper supposed to be? An alternative skin for the Chaingunner?
He's the "Flamer", which is a flamethrower zombie variant. We'll have a flamethrower weapon for the player, and I thought it could be cool to have a zombie variant that has the same weapon.
So it is basically a close-range Chaingunner?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”