Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fluff

Re: [WIP] Supplice -- Totally not dead!

Post by fluff »

It's beautiful.

There's not enough candy themed Doom. :P
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

fluff wrote:It's beautiful.

There's not enough candy themed Doom. :P

Well, those levels are looking a little dessert-ed, but they candy but try.

edit:
*cough*

I'll get my coat...
DoomKrakken

Re: [WIP] Supplice -- Welcome to Candyland!

Post by DoomKrakken »

Wait... did I see this right...?

ANGLED WEAPONRY?!

(cries tears of extreme ecstasy) :D YUS.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

They do look really cool. Although, I am gonna miss that centered side-loading rifle contraption from the early build screenshots. Looked very interesting.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Angled weapons are the bomb! I can only imagine using these with some other angled weapon mods! Oh happy day, oh happy day!

This will have some of the awesomest resources ever! Those monsters! And those weapons!! AND THOSE TEXTURES!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me that this side-loading rifle you're referring to used some graphics based off of DoomNukem's FMG for Trailblazer. I'm thinking that if they're keeping it, they're going to use the angled FMG sprites as a base.
Cage

Post by Cage »

DoomKrakken wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me that this side-loading rifle you're referring to used some graphics based off of DoomNukem's FMG for Trailblazer. I'm thinking that if they're keeping it, they're going to use the angled FMG sprites as a base.
Nope, all guns are made from scratch in 3d for consistent perspective/animations, and then cleaned up afterwards. The old rifle was done in pure 2d from scratch. The only art directly referenced that hasn't been done from scratch by me are the monster sprites due to high workload/time constraints.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Not sure. Were Trail Blazer's weapons centred at one point? If you look at DevBlog on first page of this thread, first screenshot shows it. Centre-view, side-loaded clip rifle thing. Nice wooden handguard (or that his glove?). Made me want to go back to centred weapons when I saw it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I don't see a devblog with any such weapon sprites... and Pillow only seems to have released mods with angled weapons...

@Cage Thanks for clearing it up. I still gotta say, it looks very, very familiar.

As for your weapon drawing process... I really, REALLY gotta see that. I've been wanting to do that kind of thing for so long now... :D

Might you happen to have any videos for that? I was a huge fan of that one video where you were drawing the pickup sprites...
Cage

Post by Cage »

Vostyok wrote:Made me want to go back to centred weapons when I saw it.
Ironically, I started to work on more guns after that rifle and I've decided to bail out and just go for angled. IMO the biggest problem with centered weapons is that you're pretty much bound to make the gun have a pretty simple top form (since any extra protrusions or forms on top might obscure the rest of the gun, especially when it's in the back - check out how bad the centered m16 rifle sprites work for example) and at the same time, the top is the only place you can put any details since you don't see the rest. My weapon inspirations come mostly from real life and modern games, and I found it very hard to realise those types of ideas with the constraints listed above. I do like to challenge myself, but I'd rather do my best to make the development smoother/shorter, especially since this one has been going on for few years already. :)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

THANK YOU! That's my thought on it too (but you explain it much more detailed than I ever hope to). So much good art is missed when you have centered sprites...

Alright, so I looked at the screenshot again for the centered rifle. Yeah, it's definitely not Trailblazer's FMG. The thing that got me was actually the magazine... both Trailblazer's and Supplice's magazines for the FMG and centered rifle have a magazine with ridges and a slightly worn colored strip. Also, seeing the graphics on them, it's clear that they weren't done by the same person.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

:idea:
Mechadon wrote:Here are a couple more deliciously sweet screenshots :D

ImageImage
emperor's bowels you've outdone yourselves this time. The angled weapons are lovely. Brimming with quake 2 / 3 influences... Also the higher quality doom64 styled monstas are truely a sight to behold. Should we expect a full set of these bad boys as proxy for all doom monsters..? Just amazingly Tasty and so pleasing to see the project progressing... Keep it up guys
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I believe Cage said he planned to do so with all of the stock Doom monsters... and also planned to create a couple new ones. :D

So stoked for this. I can see a number of things that could be improved by those sprites. :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

DoomKrakken wrote:I believe Cage said he planned to do so with all of the stock Doom monsters... and also planned to create a couple new ones. :D
Well, there are a few monsters that don't have a Doom 64 sprite (chaingunner, revenant, arch-vile, spiderdemon, Wolfenstein SS, Commander Keen, evil wall texture) so they'll have to be sorta-new at the very least.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Well... I didn't mean the Doom 64-styled monsters... I just remember seeing that Cage was planning to revamp all the monsters, and that some of them just so happened to look somewhat like the Doom 64-styled monsters (such as Barons and Knights). He showed progress on the Arch-Vile (which wasn't in Doom 64), and it looked beautiful. :D

HEY WAIT A SEC... I know that snow monster from somewhere!!!!!!! :D

It was that super old skiing game! What was it called...?
Gez

Post by Gez »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkiFree

If the D64 sprites aren't scaled down, exclusive monsters like the arch-vile are going to look tiny in comparison. Unless they're the ones to be scaled up, I guess.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”