Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by DoomKrakken »

I mean, I got that it was an edited Chaingunner sprite already... I'm just saying, a totally custom sprite could have been done for it, but since it's chunky like the Chaingunner, and even looks like the Chaingunner (thereby making it a Chaingunner variant), it just seems to make sense.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Ideally we'd have brand-new sprites for things like the Flamer, I agree. But the problem is that this sprite work is extremely time consuming and tedious (and that's just the repaint jobs!). So we're trying to get creative with some of these new monsters in any ways that we can. For the Flamer, it works because some visual cues needed for him are already there - the ammo belt + backpack can be turned into a hose + gas canister very easily. And having another big, chunky zombie dude works well for a brutal flamethrower style enemy.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Besides, it looks fine as it is. Also i can see the difference between the vanilla chaingunner.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Nothing wrong with it at all. Still looks mighty fine. :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm reminded of the Strife guys who hold their left hand weirdly up in the air and it's just a holdover from the fact they've been painted over Doom's zombieman, just with the rifle replaced by a one-handed pistol.

What I mean is that it'd be better if the belt-hose was replaced by a shorter one that just goes over the shoulder, but the current solution is an acceptable compromise to reduce workload.
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Those enemy sprites are sooo good!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Cage wrote:Don't worry guys, I've been running this thing in ZDoom recently, and it's looking great there as well!

And if you thought Heavy Weapon Dudes were bad news, wait till you meet their friends...

Monsters are scary, but I'm getting pretty decent progress, I think actually better than I expected - currently 11 are finished out of 29 planned, and I've started them last year pretty much, around September.

So that's the recent update. Wish me luck ;)
good to hear it looks great in zdoom. and as for the monsters. JUST WOW! is that golden chaingunner not simply a reskin then? different behavior?
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

The chaingunner is the same (actually he doesn't drop a Chaingun any longer, only a clip). He started out as a yellow recolor earlier on, and then Cage painted over the sprite so it matches the rest of the artwork.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

do the enemies come with new sounds (weapon and voice) or just new looks?
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Good question! SFX in general are something that we are severely lacking at the moment. BouncyTEM graciously donated some environment sounds, and I think he may be able to do more sfx in the future. As far as monsters go, we haven't really discussed it yet but I'm guessing we'll probably keep the vanilla sounds for them (or possibly use the PSX/D64 sounds if they fit better). But its something I haven't really looked into yet since we've focused more on the artwork and behaviors.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'm not joking but honestly, i think BouncyTEM could do the zombie/monster voices. With a bit of intimidating edits, of course.

Yes, i know monster sounds are not really a thing for this mod, like you said. But i don't know why, but after seeing what he did for voices for doom mod and such, i'd like to hear his voice once again!
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

I've been working on detailing one of my DM layouts for the past week, and I finished it up yesterday. So here are some more screenshots!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

For anyone interested, the map's name is "Penth". It's a medium-sized DM map with an open-ended layout of pathways. I wanted to see how our hell/gothic texture theme would hold up in its current state, so that was the main motivation behind this map. Personally I'm super happy with the way this theme came out. It has some nice Doom 64 nods (thanks to Cage making some textures inspired by it) and I really liked the yellow/orange/red and dark grey color combinations. By the way, the fire sky isn't an actual sky texture. We currently don't have a sky texture that would fit this theme, so I toyed around with our fire wall texture to see how it would look. It fit really well and cemented that Doom 64 hell vibe.

Anyways, I had a ton of fun working on this, which should be a good sign for things to come :). Hopefully there will be more to show off soon!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Looks awesome. Now I'm tempted to actually do Deathmatch on this... :D

What if you guys used a few sounds from DOOM? The Mancubus has flamethrower sounds that could be useful for the Flamer... :D
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Mechadon wrote:I've been working on detailing one of my DM layouts for the past week, and I finished it up yesterday. So here are some more screenshots!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

For anyone interested, the map's name is "Penth". It's a medium-sized DM map with an open-ended layout of pathways. I wanted to see how our hell/gothic texture theme would hold up in its current state, so that was the main motivation behind this map. Personally I'm super happy with the way this theme came out. It has some nice Doom 64 nods (thanks to Cage making some textures inspired by it) and I really liked the yellow/orange/red and dark grey color combinations. By the way, the fire sky isn't an actual sky texture. We currently don't have a sky texture that would fit this theme, so I toyed around with our fire wall texture to see how it would look. It fit really well and cemented that Doom 64 hell vibe.

Anyways, I had a ton of fun working on this, which should be a good sign for things to come :). Hopefully there will be more to show off soon!
Very quakey... Nice...
Cage

Post by Cage »

I've uploaded a short clip of testing out the dual wielding on the assault rifles and new bullet puffs/impact fx to Twitter, check it out:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”