Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ravick

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by Ravick »

That is rly nice stuff! :o
I'll keep an eye on it! :D
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys! We'll be trickling more progress through here as we continue :)
esselfortium wrote:Seriously cool bears :)

The texture set looks really yummy, and for example maps these look pretty involved!

A couple things that stood out to me as odd:
- The grass should probably just be using the desaturated greens, as the bright teal highlights look rather unnatural and "lol paletted graphics"
- With all the custom textures you have in this, I was really surprised to see the IWAD-stock UAC shawn texture :P
- The colormapping seems off in some textures, like the orange pixels here. I'm assuming you guys did something similar to BTSX's palette/colormap to make stuff like lava and orange lights fade more seamlessly in the dark, but as a side effect of it, orange on regular walls and stuff ends up glowing in rather glitchy-looking ways. Might have to color-remap those textures to switch the oranges for similar tans.

Also, I have no idea if you have room in the palette for it, but some sort of orangey-magenta range could complement the teal greens really well, a la Retroblazer. I kept expecting to see something like it in there :P
Thanks essel! I really did go overboard on my concept map; Jimmy's contribution is more in-line with what I should have done. But I was having too much fun to stop.

I can't really pick up on what you mean about the grass flat. Could it be a colormap thing maybe? At any rate, I'll mention it to Cage. Currently we've got two grass flats - a saturated one and a less-saturated one. I can't really tell which one is being used in that screenshot.

I missed the stock UAC texture in that map...whoops :roll:. Jimmy actually made that map way back when I put compiled our first resource wad, so I imagine he was stretching for some textures to do some detail with. We actually have a Supplice-ized version of that texture that would have fit perfectly there.

Yea there are a few odd fading ranges I've noticed with the colormap (yellows fading to dark saturated red, light tans fading to dark saturated yellows, and a couple others). I've mentioned it to Cage so hopefully we can fix the most noticeable ones. I also need to plunder in the BtsX palette/colormap and see how you fixed the problem with the pinks fading out to saturated colors and sort of glowing (yup, we've got that problem too).

I really like the idea of a magenta-orange range and I have no idea if we can fit it :P. We did sacrifice some colors to extend our yellows, so room in the palette is pretty tight. I guess it's another thing to talk with Cage about!
Estopolis wrote:Will all weapons end up with new sprites or just the tweaked ones?
Either way, looking forward to this.
The plan right now is to replace all of the weapons, including the tweaked ones. Ideally we'd like to replace just about all of the sprites with new ones (if not all of them). New monster sprites will be very unlikely beyond edits of the original sprites. But we are focusing on at least two new monster sprites, including one of the new big bosses :)
Nightfall wrote:
Mechadon wrote:Although unbeknownst to you, it is already far, far too late.
I just thought... how is it unbeknownst to me that it's too late if you're telling it to me right here in this thread? o_O
Yea uh...I guess that last sentence is supposed to be from some omniscient narrator completely outside of the story. Or...I dunno, I suck at anything to do with story :P. The story preface was added kind of last minute by me when I realized it was missing from the announcement. It should probably be rewritten at some point by someone with more skill than I have. But meh, that can wait for the far-off readme file.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You are sick :)

These shots look awesome, I really love what I see so far
Gez

Post by Gez »

Mechadon wrote:It's extreme distance from any other settlements prompts the UAC to experiment with a very powerful teleportation network called the Flux Engine.
Image Schutzgrammar!
"Its extreme distance"
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The grammar police strikes again! :P
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Yes of course, silly apostrophe ruining everything. I catch myself doing that all of the time, but I missed one! Meh, I'll fix it later :P
Machalite

Post by Machalite »

Since everyone else has already stated how great this looks, I'm gonna be that guy and ask a tangentially related question: does this mean you've moved on from Vela Pax? Regardless, I'm eager to see what you do here.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Vela Pax is still in progress. It might be interesting to note that Supplice actually spawned Vela Pax. I was making a test map for some dehacked stuff...and that's pretty much how Vela Pax started :P.

Right now my plans are to finish up some of my other contributions (TNT2 in particular) and then get back to work on Vela Pax full-time. Well, all of my mapping focus will be on it, but I'll still be doing work on Supplice in relation to working on our resources.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Mechadon is one of my favourite mappers, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this when it's done. I vaguely recall playing some map pack where I despised almost every map, and only the presence of Mechadon's maps here and there kept me playing it.

I like the screenshots. It doesn't really look like DooM, but rather some other cool 90s FPS game no one found out about before now.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Looks good, really dig the new graphics
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

nice machine gun sprites!
i'm always wait you for posting completed wad.
even i die by cancer or aidz.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

those machinegun sprite have me questioning one thing:

why in the fuck is one half of the gun blue? is that to keep people from ripping it out of the screens and using it themselves or what
Blox

Post by Blox »

It's called multiple light sources. (Gotta prove you is fancy artist)

Though on that topic, I just spotted that what's seen of the glove on the right side doesn't have that blue backdrop, which looks kind of off.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

What I would do to work on this... :wub: Heh.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Blox wrote:It's called multiple light sources. (Gotta prove you is fancy artist)
It also has adds a Hexen vibe to the sprite, which is a very good thing imo.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”