Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by osjclatchford »

Fantastic as always.Those flats are especially great looking...
Cage

Post by Cage »

osjclatchford wrote:Fantastic as always.Those flats are especially great looking...
Thanks! One of the benefits of moving to ZDoom was being able to use textures on floors and ceilings. 64x64 flats are very limiting IMO and lend to obvious repetition in case of terrain textures. Huge help with technical bits and bobs as well as more marb-face type decorations - oh we have those too as well...
Captain J wrote:It's visually great with greens! It's a wonderful thing that there's no crates. :P
Well, I was meaning to do some crates textures and seems there's always something more important to do! Wouldn't be a good doom mod without Start-To-Crate time though, I think? :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

But i'm not saying put no crates in the map, btw! Just use your imagination and put some fancy box in a good ol' fashioned way if you want!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Unpleasantness has been split to the Hall. Carry on.
Cage

Post by Cage »

To note down some pretty measurable progress, let me say that I've just noticed that our current resource build is at 3011 textures strong.

Last time I was surprised about the number of textures we have, we had 1514 textures and it was on the 18th of March 2016 :)

I still have visual stuff I would like to cover and needs for the new textures always pop up during mapping, but given the numbers, my estimate is that we'll have 3500-4000 once we cover everything we want/need.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

over 3000 means a lot to the project... Hope it gets bigger for more efforts and more metallic heart! :P
Cage

Post by Cage »

What kind of dangers you might run into while on Triton, the largest natural satellite of the planet Neptune?
  1. Freezing to death
  2. Getting mauled and/or eaten alive by the invading demons
  3. Being caught in a thermonuclear explosion caused by the structural damage to the installation reactors
  4. All of the above
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Cage wrote:What kind of dangers you might run into while on Triton, the largest natural satellite of the planet Neptune?
  1. Freezing to death
  2. Getting mauled and/or eaten alive by the invading demons
  3. Being caught in a thermonuclear explosion caused by the structural damage to the installation reactors
  4. All of the above
drool... :wub: very rtcw... is that gzdoom being used there? I see the curve in the sky is all. for some reason I thought this was a zdoom limited project. gzdoom obviously would extend the graphical capabilities but potentially at the expense of oldskoolness. mind you, not that any of that is happening in what I've seen so far. looks straight out of the mid to late nineties. in a good way...
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

that dithering shading on that shotgun, ooh yis
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

That weapon-sprite looks very sexy. I'm glad you have texture-filtering turned off.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah yes, the Slugger... looking forward to using that gun... :D

Read about that weapon on the Supplice Page. I wasn't sure what to think of it for a Super Shotgun replacement, using slugshot... but it sounds fairly interesting and unique for the kinds of weapon mechanics being implemented here... :D

And, by the way... I LOVE FROZEN LEVELS. :D
Cage

Post by Cage »

osjclatchford wrote:very rtcw... is that gzdoom being used there? I see the curve in the sky is all. for some reason I thought this was a zdoom limited project. gzdoom obviously would extend the graphical capabilities but potentially at the expense of oldskoolness. mind you, not that any of that is happening in what I've seen so far. looks straight out of the mid to late nineties. in a good way...
Well, I've started using GZDoom, since I guess ZDoom isn't updated anymore? The general idea is to have Supplice work with ZDoom, but also to offer extra hardware mode/GZDoom eye-candy on top of that, like brightmaps, which I can't test in the software mode. :) So unless GZDoom will include engine/scripting updates that will be absolutely necessary for Supplice, it's going to work on ZDoom. ZDoom compatibility is something that will be easier to achieve than Zandronum compatibility, and we would like to offer also an accessible multiplayer, so I'm pretty certain Supplice will work in ZD.
comet1337 wrote:that dithering shading on that shotgun, ooh yis
I've always considered dithering as a sort of "necessary evil", but despite that I did my best not to use it. I've been finding more ways to make it look good, so it's creeping back into my sprites :)
Agentbromsnor wrote:That weapon-sprite looks very sexy. I'm glad you have texture-filtering turned off.
Thanks! No filtering is pretty much the only way I play old/low res assets games, I enjoy the crispyness, with low resolution stuff everything turns into mush when filtered.
DoomKrakken wrote:Ah yes, the Slugger... looking forward to using that gun... :D
Actually that's the... Combat Shotgun! Plot twist DUN DUN DUN

Slugger is modelled and rendered but still "doesn't look right" to me at the moment, so it's going to see some more work. It hasn't been shown in the screenshots yet. :)

Cheers
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Oh shoot, I remember now... yeah, that is the shotgun. I forgot that the three-barreled combat shotgun only had two visible barrels XD...

It looked like the Slugger too, only the Slugger has vents on its barrels and a sideways magazine, and the Slugger was silver too.

Here's an idea, if you wanted to go for this in some maps... since you're a terraformer, and you have a pilebunker that carves through rock, why not have a fair portion of gameplay centered around the pilebunker? Make it more useful than simply as a weapon... have it be able to carve away certain portions of the maps' anatomy, unlock different passageways, and trigger certain events (unless you guys already thought of that)?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

DoomKrakken wrote:Oh shoot, I remember now... yeah, that is the shotgun. I forgot that the three-barreled combat shotgun only had two visible barrels XD...

It looked like the Slugger too, only the Slugger has vents on its barrels and a sideways magazine, and the Slugger was silver too.

Here's an idea, if you wanted to go for this in some maps... since you're a terraformer, and you have a pilebunker that carves through rock, why not have a fair portion of gameplay centered around the pilebunker? Make it more useful than simply as a weapon... have it be able to carve away certain portions of the maps' anatomy, unlock different passageways, and trigger certain events (unless you guys already thought of that)?
Good idea. There's scripts for specific puff types interacting with linedefs. You could have secret passageways open only for pilebunker attacks... or really big explosions as well I guess. Emergent gameplay/ open world exploration for the win :D
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Use the Pilebunker to knock over a tower to squash some monsters. Bore holes through the pedestal that the Cyberdemon who's trying to shove rockets up your ass is standing on to topple him over. Destroy columns and take cover in a tunnel while the ceiling outside collapses on a horde of Imps and a pack of Pinkies. Dig up secret treasure and buried weapons. :D

Here's another idea... concerning the minigun. I see that three ideas are floating around. First, scrap the second one you posted (concentrated burst-shot). That'd make it too much like the Assault rifle's special alt-fire, so it won't be as unique. Second, have both the first and third ideas you posted (Auto-Turret/Auto-Rev) be available. You can switch what the Alt-Fire key does by using the Reload key to switch modes, much like in DOOM. Also, maybe the minigun could generate so much heat from all that spinning and firing that the bullets would wind up dealing more damage, because they could be super-heated when they leave the gun. This could be useful for the Auto-Rev alt-fire (and hey, that would make it somewhat like DOOM). :D

Cage, if at all possible, it'd be awesome if you could post tutorials for how to make awesome weapon sprites like you did... :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”