Beyond Reality! v1.7 YEH

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Beyond Reality! v1.7 YEH

Post by Darsycho »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

There is a dimension, a dimension full of nonsense and surrealism. It is a place where crates are out to kill you, and a place where logic jumps off a bridge. A journey into a wondrous land of ludicrosity, your next stop: Beyond Reality!
  • Explore super-green planets, planets made mostly out of crates, and a skyward club!
  • Bizarre enemies: Winged crates armed with gatling guns and a fireball shooting cannon, flying doomguy heads, and living shish kebabs!
  • Glorious music by Andrew Sega.
  • Since all maps have most weapons placed in, every map can be played from pistol start. (It's a rough challenge though!)
  • Jumping and crouching is allowed.
Spoiler: changelog
DOWNLOAD HERE! https://darsycho.itch.io/beyond-reality
Alternative: https://www.dropbox.com/s/435rpds4jk49b ... 7.pk3?dl=0
Spoiler: Credits - Please notify me if I missed something!
Enjoy you happy people!
Last edited by Darsycho on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 82 times in total.
Springy

Re: Beyond Reality [3 Map demo released]

Post by Springy »

Looks very strange, but in a good way. Are you taking inspiration from "All Hell is Loose"?
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

Springy wrote:Looks very strange, but in a good way. Are you taking inspiration from "All Hell is Loose"?
Never even heard of that one, I'll be checking it out.
Thanks.
Springy

Post by Springy »

jack101 wrote:
Springy wrote:Looks very strange, but in a good way. Are you taking inspiration from "All Hell is Loose"?
Never even heard of that one, I'll be checking it out.
Thanks.
Here's a link if you want to check it, pretty crazy stuff. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=6480 Main problem is getting it to run on a 64 bit PC. The dehacked batch file seems to have problems with 64 bit.

On topic: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this mod, looks very promising.
Zombieguy

Re: [WIP] Beyond Reality - [3 Map demo released]

Post by Zombieguy »

Ah, yes. A strange wad the day before my birthday. Just the way I like it. I'm gonna try this.

EDIT: I enjoyed it more than I had hoped. Really nice stuff. I'll have to finish it sometime, I don't have the time right now.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Man, how many maps will the full version have? (Not to mention, how many bizarre enemies it'll have)

Edit: Having played the demo, I'm definitely gonna look forward to anymore nonsensical levels like this.
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

dljosef wrote:Man, how many maps will the full version have? (Not to mention, how many bizarre enemies it'll have)

Edit: Having played the demo, I'm definitely gonna look forward to anymore nonsensical levels like this.
About 16, Theres gonna be 3 map episodes, with the final level being a special themed level.

Also, that all hell breaks loose WAD was epic, and provides a couple of nice resources for this wad as well, awesome. :P
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

The maps are pretty nicely detailed and the textures are really nice and refreshing to look at. I love your texture themes.

The Weird looking enemies act very plain and uninteresting. The mini pinkies need to have their health lowered because atm their like fast melee imps that are hard to hit and take almost twice as many shots to kill. There are a lot of rooms that look really cool but have uninteresting and plain fights.
Add more traps. This wad already looks great, it just needs some tweaking and i think it will become a great wad.
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

AlwaysDoomed wrote:The maps are pretty nicely detailed and the textures are really nice and refreshing to look at. I love your texture themes.

The Weird looking enemies act very plain and uninteresting. The mini pinkies need to have their health lowered because atm their like fast melee imps that are hard to hit and take almost twice as many shots to kill. There are a lot of rooms that look really cool but have uninteresting and plain fights.
Add more traps. This wad already looks great, it just needs some tweaking and i think it will become a great wad.

Well some parts I have to agree, I did use too many teleport traps, so I will redo some rooms.
Then some nastier traps n stuff.
The Weird looking enemies act very plain and uninteresting.
...Well, got any suggestions? I thought they were fun to fight.

Also, the pinkies have had their health lowered a bit, but I'll be buffing some monsters, such as this:
Spoiler:
The new chaingunner, now with 100 health and an extra head!

In other news:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Darsycho on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Just played through the first map and a bit of the second.

I've got no complaints about the new enemies. Ammo was pretty tightly balanced for the first map even with berserk, but definitely more "nasty challenge" than "unplayable".

I'd have lold at the
Spoiler:
-alike if I weren't so busy spending all my SSG ammo in a panic.

Great to see a project that doesn't take itself too seriously but still has rock-solid quality and gameplay.
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

Vaecrius wrote: I'd have lold at the
Spoiler:
-alike if I weren't so busy spending all my SSG ammo in a panic.
Erm, I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about.
I've got no complaints about the new enemies. Ammo was pretty tightly balanced for the first map even with berserk, but definitely more "nasty challenge" than "unplayable"
What difficulty was you playing on? Just wondering, I've decreased the difficulty a bit, but I'll still make it where UV is diabolical. ;)
Spoiler: And of course, all of my posts must end with a screenshot! =P
Light overuse ahoy!
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think it was just medium, don't recall if I'd warped or mashed Enter at the title screen.

And re spoiler: Those headsticky things look and act a lot like my first impression of the original Ghoul's Forest. Not in a rip sort of way but in an impressionistic equivalence (sort of like how some Doom II maps resemble a city :P).
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

Spoiler:
Crates. O-)

Also:
Vaecrius wrote:I think it was just medium, don't recall if I'd warped or mashed Enter at the title screen.

And re spoiler: Those headsticky things look and act a lot like my first impression of the original Ghoul's Forest. Not in a rip sort of way but in an impressionistic equivalence (sort of like how some Doom II maps resemble a city :P).
Do you happen to have a download link to what you're talking about? I'm curious. =P
Matt

Post by Matt »

Been a long time since I played it.

Also, I love how the crates in the second screenshot look like they're just growing out of the building like some kind of mold or something. "Looks like you've got a crate infestation here. We'll need to take out these floorboards and I also recommend a moisture and building envelope inspection while we're at it."
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

Vaecrius wrote:Also, I love how the crates in the second screenshot look like they're just growing out of the building like some kind of mold or something. "Looks like you've got a crate infestation here. We'll need to take out these floorboards and I also recommend a moisture and building envelope inspection while we're at it."
...You're giving me ideas.
Spoiler:
A new version of this wad should be finished in a few days, stay tuned. :P

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”