Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kyle873

Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Post by Kyle873 »

Introduction
Welcome. A few weeks ago I decided to undertake a project that's been stirring in my head for a while: A (G)ZDoom-based Doom RPG which can be easily played with the vanilla IWADs and PWAD map packs. I first searched around to see if this had already been done, and I found a few bits here and there, but nothing as extensive as I had wanted to implement. So I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands, and after a few weeks worth of work, and replaying Doom 1 and 2 far more than I ever have before, this is what I have for you: my Doom RPG.

Features
  • A Level-up and stat system, allowing you to customize the properties of your character for your own playstyle
  • A currency system, Credits, which are dropped by monsters when killed
  • A Rank system with regular payouts of Credits, higher rank yields better shop discounts and a better payout, rank increases as you kill monsters
  • A combo system which will increase your experience and rank gain as you kill more monsters in fast succession
  • A skill system with various skills including Healing, Support, Powerups, Auras (buffs), Attacks, Summons and general Utility skills, more are being added
  • A shop where you can use your credits to buy weapons, ammo and supplies
  • Many inventory items now exist, including tiered health restoration items and re-done and new armor types
  • A new HUD to show new information such as EP, Credits, Combo Counters, Rune/Powerup timers, and more (and the mugshot, of course :P)
  • Items are now randomized and varied
  • Full compatibility with DoomRL Arsenal and it's Monster Pack
  • The Outpost map, which can be accessed at any time with the Transport skill, contains things such as the Shop, Arena, Lockers, Skill Computer, Token Converter, Regeneration Pads, and more...
  • A Stim system which lets you give yourself temporary stat and powerup bonuses, build your own drugs!
  • A locker system for DRLA which lets you store your excess weapons, armors and modpacks for later use/retrieval in the Outpost
  • An arena where you can level up and gain bonuses, as well as murder everything
  • Shop contains a Borderlands-style Shop special item which can only be purchased once, and is swapped out about every 10 minutes
Screenshots (Old)
Spoiler:
Doom RPG Launcher
To help users deal with the complexity of loading Doom RPG, which can quickly turn into a Bethesda loadfest if you're loading many things at once, I have decided to create a launcher for the mod. The launcher will automatically launch (G)ZDoom with the options you choose so you won't need to fumble around with command lines or batch files. It can also automatically update your copy of Doom RPG, which happens a lot I might add.

The Launcher requires .NET 4.5 to function properly.

Join the shenanigans in my IRC channel! #DoomRPG at esper.net, or use this web client.

YOU WILL NEED THE LATEST SVN VERSION OF GZDOOM TO RUN THIS MOD! ZDOOM IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED!

DOOMRLA DOES NOT COME WITH DOOM RPG! YOU NEED TO GO HERE TO GET IT!

THE CURRENT DOOMRPG IS DESIGNED FOR A BUILD OF DOOMRLA THAT ISN'T OUT YET, HERE IS A BUILD OF DOOMRPG THAT WORKS WITH THE CURRENT DOOMRLA!

GZDoom Builds

Installation Guide
DoomRPG on Github
Download Launcher
Download ZIP
Last edited by Kyle873 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 56 times in total.
CorSair

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.5]

Post by CorSair »

The HUD looks bit intrusive, by looking at these screenshots.

Anyway, I downloaded it, and got first problem:

Script error, "DoomRPG.pk3:actors/monsters" line 389:
Invalid state parameter fast
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

CorSair wrote:The HUD looks bit intrusive, by looking at these screenshots.

Anyway, I downloaded it, and got first problem:

Script error, "DoomRPG.pk3:actors/monsters" line 389:
Invalid state parameter fast
About the HUD, remember, I took these screenshots with HUD scaling enabled (hud_scale 1) because I can't see very well, if HUD scaling is off it's much less intrusive. Also, I probably should've mentioned you'll need the latest SVN of either ZDoom or GZDoom as that's what I've been working with.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Blah, another download rumba. Should have known that. :roll:
And twice me being idiot, when HUD was all okay for me....

Anyway, looks and feels good! Now I need to go grinding. -.-
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

Oh also, a note to everyone, there is barely any difference between the Normal and Hard difficulty settings except that on Hard and above, that's when the respawn kicks in. Some people preferred no monster respawn, so Normal and Hard are esentially the same except Hard has respawning monsters, allowing for MOAR GRIND!
Iniquitatis
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Iniquitatis »

Oh, just a week ago, I began to develop exactly the same modification ... I think it looks better than what I planned to do. Well done! :)
amv2k9

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.51]

Post by amv2k9 »

Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to give this a try later.

Do you have a legend in your readme or something explaining what all that stuff on the HUD is?

Also, good karma (I'm assuming that's karma, the yellow yin-yang) is rated with letters, but bad karma is rated with numbers? That's kinda confusing.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

amv2k9 wrote:SOunds pretty cool. I'll ahve to give this a try later.

Do you have a legend in you readme or something explaining what all that stuff on the HUD is?

Also, good karma (I'm assuming that's karma, the yellow yin-yang) is rated with letters, but bad karma is rated with numbers? That's kinda confusing.
Good point, I really should explain the HUD elements a little better, I'll edit it into my first post in a bit. The letters is a general idea of your rank, below that is your current rank points, below THAT is how many you need to increase to the next rank level.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Cool mod, but it feels like the runes are a bit overpowered. I'm playing on Nightmare right now and it's still pretty easy. Unfair seemed fairly easy too, though it took a little longer to get through crowds.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:Cool mod, but it feels like the runes are a bit overpowered. I'm playing on Nightmare right now and it's still pretty easy. Unfair seemed fairly easy too, though it took a little longer to get through crowds.
Yeah, even with the Runes at 1/256 drop chance they still drop a little more than I'd like them to. I'll probably try to find a way around this soon. I had an idea on how to change this while I was asleep so I'll try implementing it and see how it goes.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Kyle873 wrote:Yeah, even with the Runes at 1/256 drop chance they still drop a little more than I'd like them to. I'll probably try to find a way around this soon. I had an idea on how to change this while I was asleep so I'll try implementing it and see how it goes.
You could make it so that if the player already has a rune (or certain runes that are more powerful), that rune or other runes are less likely to drop. That way you encourage the player to use them up.

Played it a little last night, some more observations:
-It'd be nice if the Shop Menu could be closed with the "use skill" button since that's what you use to open it.
-Red nukage barrels have some bright red pixels on the side of the barrel due to the fact that you translate the green ranges to bright reds; you may need to supply some edited barrels instead of translating them.
-The starburst glow effect looks wierd on torches, I think, and works better on artificial lighting.
-Ghost-

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [v0.53]

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah it just feels like it needs a big boost to difficulty to offset the leveling up. Summoning marines feels a little useless at the moment as well, since you end up being a killing machine by the time you can afford the more useful ones. Maybe make them cost money instead or something? It'd be a good way to get rid of excess credits.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah it just feels like it needs a big boost to difficulty to offset the leveling up. Summoning marines feels a little useless at the moment as well, since you end up being a killing machine by the time you can afford the more useful ones. Maybe make them cost money instead or something? It'd be a good way to get rid of excess credits.
I assume you were playing on the highest difficulty? Because if that's still not good enough, I must suck ass comapred to other players XD. Also using credits instead of EP for the Marines is a good idea, I'll see about adding that.
Kyle873

Post by Kyle873 »

amv2k9 wrote:
Kyle873 wrote:Yeah, even with the Runes at 1/256 drop chance they still drop a little more than I'd like them to. I'll probably try to find a way around this soon. I had an idea on how to change this while I was asleep so I'll try implementing it and see how it goes.
You could make it so that if the player already has a rune (or certain runes that are more powerful), that rune or other runes are less likely to drop. That way you encourage the player to use them up.

Played it a little last night, some more observations:
-It'd be nice if the Shop Menu could be closed with the "use skill" button since that's what you use to open it.
-Red nukage barrels have some bright red pixels on the side of the barrel due to the fact that you translate the green ranges to bright reds; you may need to supply some edited barrels instead of translating them.
-The starburst glow effect looks wierd on torches, I think, and works better on artificial lighting.
- I'd like to do that, but there's no way for GetPlayerInput to get the input of the skill key I don't think.
- I know about that, I just left it because honestly, I'm HORRIBLE with graphics. If someone feels like making new barrel sprites, go right ahead, I'm not doing it.
- That's Cosmetic Doom at work, I don't mind them, I guess it's just a preference thing. They also might look weird on torches in regular ZDoom's software renderer, I always use GZDoom.

edit:
I also toned down the rune from 2 minutes to 1 to offset their OPness, hopefully that helps a little.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I was on Nightmare, but I'll give Unfair a try to see how it balances out after an episode or two. I've been playing through the hardcore Brutalized Doom levels, so they all have at least 100 enemies, usually more.

EDIT: Just tried Ep 1 in Unfair. It's like it's harder at level 0 and then it gets a lot easier after the first level up. Maybe the damage, etc goes up too much the first few levels? By level 3 I was one-shotting everything again.
Last edited by -Ghost- on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”