Soulcrusher 1.3 (Officially a cacowards runner-up!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Springy

Re: Soulcrusher (Beta 1 coming on August 15)

Post by Springy »

Looking good so far man! Looks really promising if you need any additional beta testers, then I'd be happy to help.
Alterworldruler

Post by Alterworldruler »

After a bunch of nasty heatwaves i'm back to work. I completed the new shop system... now to implement special map markers which indicate on the automap where the shops are. Also MAYBE I will throw in a personal PDA before public beta 1 comes out that will let you read about the character bios (people would rage about the MGS-long cutscenes :P) so in case you wonder who the hell who, the PDA will answer your questions.

Outside that, some map polish required and beta 1 should be ready for August 15.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Man, the economy has really taken a hit after those demons invaded, huh?
Alterworldruler

Kate wrote:Man, the economy has really taken a hit after those demons invaded, huh?
Half-correct, technically there are no demons in the mod setting/story-wise, the economy sinked down because the corporations ruling the world are constantly fighting each other, making for weapon market to be possibly the richest in the world. With the never-ending demand of more guns, ammunition and equipment. That would be the logical explanation anyway after reading the intro (it may or not may be in public beta 1 due story correction issues). Also I need to dig up a new money icon, the current one is awful.
Springy

Post by Springy »

AW YEAH! Seriously cannot wait for the beta looking really good so far. The shop system looks good as well.
Alterworldruler

This is a big moment in history of this mod. As you guys get to play the first stable public beta!

What does the beta contain:
- 2 New levels compared to the prototype making it 5.
- A brand new boss.
- A reworked shop system
- Lots of adjustments/fixes.
- All music has been converted to OGG, thus the music file is smaller now.

What are you waiting for, check out the new trailer in main post and get your beta today! Happy playing, please kindly leave feedback here.
Springy

Re: Soulcrusher Public Beta 1 is out!

Post by Springy »

YES! Downloading now will leave feedback after completion. EDIT: Found a couple of error messages that just appeared in the top left hand corner (I'm using GZDoom R1443). The screenshots shown displays what I got. One says about a poly object the other about a music file.
Spoiler:
Don't think it's affecting anything to major, the music is just the title screen music looping continuously. Am I loading this up wrong? It's more than likely me loading it up wrong more than anything.
Spoiler:
EDIT: *facepalm I somehow forgot to select the music file and drag it over. Ignore the music error.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I really like this mod. The maps are very vibrant, colourful and different to usual Doom mods and the style and architecture work really well. My only major complaint is the enemies - they simply aren't as good or as interesting as the maps. Doom enemies and Doom recolours feel out of place and the basic enemy sprite that you meet everywhere is just an indistinct blob. Seriously, I have no idea what he is meant to look like (some sort of Hoth/Ice Stormtrooper lookalike?).

I also find that none of the weapons have that really satisfying "I could use this all day and not get bored of it" feeling but that's a personal taste thing as much as anything else.

Oh, and a minor point, I found one (maybe more) window that can be shot through as if there was no glass there.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Enjay wrote:I really like this mod. The maps are very vibrant, colourful and different to usual Doom mods and the style and architecture work really well. My only major complaint is the enemies - they simply aren't as good or as interesting as the maps. Doom enemies and Doom recolours feel out of place and the basic enemy sprite that you meet everywhere is just an indistinct blob. Seriously, I have no idea what he is meant to look like (some sort of Hoth/Ice Stormtrooper lookalike?).

I also find that none of the weapons have that really satisfying "I could use this all day and not get bored of it" feeling but that's a personal taste thing as much as anything else.

Oh, and a minor point, I found one (maybe more) window that can be shot through as if there was no glass there.
I agree about the enemies I do think they could have been done better. I personally like the weapons so far and the reload frame for the shotgun's alt fire is really well done.
Alterworldruler

I can certainly see how enemies could be made more interesting, about their graphics, WELL the lack of an artist does this so i'll have to browse around for other people's graphics. Those things i'll try to fix until Public Beta 2.

Note: Thank you for playing

By the way what about the bosses?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Alterworldruler wrote:about their graphics, WELL the lack of an artist does this so i'll have to browse around for other people's graphics.
I know what you mean. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I you aren't able to make graphics yourself, finding something new and interesting from another source is very difficult.

If you haven't done it already, you might find something useful at The Spriter's Resource. The PC gaming secion in particular has quite a few FPS sprite rips and quite a few of them have not been seen before in Doom mods.

http://spriters-resource.com/
Alterworldruler

Enjay wrote:
Alterworldruler wrote:about their graphics, WELL the lack of an artist does this so i'll have to browse around for other people's graphics.
I know what you mean. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I you aren't able to make graphics yourself, finding something new and interesting from another source is very difficult.

If you haven't done it already, you might find something useful at The Spriter's Resource. The PC gaming secion in particular has quite a few FPS sprite rips and quite a few of them have not been seen before in Doom mods.

http://spriters-resource.com/
Well thanks a lot, this will come in handy. I most likely will fill out all the enemies with custom graphics, but for the bosses, we'll see if there's enough fitting material
TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

i think i found a small problem in the prison block map. when i'm going to the bridge, i see a revenant. when it walks out from the other side of the bridge, it was walking in midair. if it's supposed to do that, my apologies. it just looks really weird. just pointing it out.

Edit: http://imgur.com/yRvDJ
Alterworldruler

X-CrAzYkOoL-X wrote:i think i found a small problem in the prison block map. when i'm going to the bridge, i see a revenant. when it walks out from the other side of the bridge, it was walking in midair. if it's supposed to do that, my apologies. it just looks really weird. just pointing it out.

Edit: http://imgur.com/yRvDJ
It's all right, just a visual flaw, once I find appriopate sprites for him, the problem should be gone :P. Thanks for playing anyway.
TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

oh, it's supposed to be an enemy with different sprites? lolz that seems okay then, judging from the revenant's size. awesome mod so far, btw.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”