[WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.4)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.4)

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Evil Space Tomato wrote:You guys have my permission to take over the batman doom patch.
Just in case this has come up anywhere else, everything I release here I consider to creative commons attribution license (the one where you only need to give credit)

Also I cant seem to access Ozymandias81's drop box links. :(
Thank you very much Evil Space Tomato, I hope you still enjoy this patch anymore!
It's strange that you can't access dropbox links... Why don't you retry to download them now? For 2/3 hours yesterday links were inaccessible because I was replacing them, I've only 2gb of space (in my dropbox) and I need much of it for my GORE project, also I've WiMax connection and 1mb upload + 7mb download limit :-(.

Another question: is it OK if I make a new thread named "Batman Doom Patch for GZDoom"?
Evil Space Tomato

Post by Evil Space Tomato »

Ya you can make a new thread.

The download works now :D , the new lights looks good.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hi people, after some days of hard work (in the real life, I mean), I've updated my patches for Batman Doom. Many thankx to Tormentor667 for his suggestions, which have fasted greatly my job.
Here you are a shortcut to my reply: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 45#p809421

BTW I think now it's time to concentrate on my special project "Batman Doom: Reborn", that will be threaded in a short time...
THREAD IS OPEN!
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ozy (if it's okay for me to call you that :P), I noticed a couple of things I did for my revision of the Batman patch have not been carried over into yours. Since you are now the most official maintainer of the project, I would like to offer suggestion that my fixes be added to your work.

1) The playerclass is still forcibly unable to jump in the Easy patch, even though MAPINFO has defined nojump in both Easy and Plus versions. Disabling jump should never be forced this way; it should only be set in MAPINFO, and players will be allowed to use their options menu to decide if they want to jump regardless.
2) The redundant DoomEdNum's are still present on the actors, meaning the engine still produces warnings at startup. This was one of the most significant things I fixed in my revisions (aside from doing away with KEYCONF, which you have thankfully already done).

I will end by saying that I will happy to do these things for you and submit them to you, if you would like.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ed the Bat wrote:Ozy (if it's okay for me to call you that :P), I noticed a couple of things I did for my revision of the Batman patch have not been carried over into yours. Since you are now the most official maintainer of the project, I would like to offer suggestion that my fixes be added to your work.

1) The playerclass is still forcibly unable to jump in the Easy patch, even though MAPINFO has defined nojump in both Easy and Plus versions. Disabling jump should never be forced this way; it should only be set in MAPINFO, and players will be allowed to use their options menu to decide if they want to jump regardless.
2) The redundant DoomEdNum's are still present on the actors, meaning the engine still produces warnings at startup. This was one of the most significant things I fixed in my revisions (aside from doing away with KEYCONF, which you have thankfully already done).

I will end by saying that I will happy to do these things for you and submit them to you, if you would like.
That's fine for me having some aid, PM me your fixes. But remember that doomednums warnings can't be fixed only removing them, as seen on your patch in your site.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ozymandias81 wrote:But remember that doomednums warnings can't be fixed only removing them, as seen on your patch in your site.
In most cases, it can. In a handful of cases, the enemies in this patch were set to replace the wrong things, so I've adjusted that. I had overlooked a few, and since no one plays my revisions, I hadn't gotten any reports of errors until yours. I'm uploading the fixes to my site now. If they seem correct to you, now, I'll go ahead and apply them to your work, if you'd like (or you can simply copy them in from mine).

On another note, I notice that Evil Space Tomato seemed to switch around Azrael's Glove and the Blast Gun for some reason. Do you have any thoughts on that?

One last thought: Since there's a good deal of redundancy between the Easy and Plus versions, have you considered making the Plus a simple add-on on top of the Easy version, that just adds what's different?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ed the Bat wrote:In most cases, it can. In a handful of cases, the enemies in this patch were set to replace the wrong things, so I've adjusted that. I had overlooked a few, and since no one plays my revisions, I hadn't gotten any reports of errors until yours. I'm uploading the fixes to my site now. If they seem correct to you, now, I'll go ahead and apply them to your work, if you'd like (or you can simply copy them in from mine).
Here you are what I mean for "can't be fixed only...":
Spoiler:
Ed the Bat wrote:On another note, I notice that Evil Space Tomato seemed to switch around Azrael's Glove and the Blast Gun for some reason. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Hmmm, I didn't noticed it because I never really played Batman Doom deeply, I'll switch them out for sure.
Ed the Bat wrote:One last thought: Since there's a good deal of redundancy between the Easy and Plus versions, have you considered making the Plus a simple add-on on top of the Easy version, that just adds what's different?
No, I've never considered that because I'm concentrating on Batman Doom: Reborn and, obviously, Gore. BTW that sounds fine, if you want to join with me BD's patches you're welcome. The fact is that I'm planning to leave Batman Doom's patch to others in order to go further with my 2 previously mentioned projects, for me it's just an exercise with GLDefs & decorate and Batman Doom has always satisfied my PWad appetite :lol:
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Here you are what I mean for "can't be fixed only...":
Yes, I understand what you meant. These are the things I fixed and reuploaded earlier today.
Ozymandias81 wrote:BTW that sounds fine, if you want to join with me BD's patches you're welcome. The fact is that I'm planning to leave Batman Doom's patch to others in order to go further with my 2 previously mentioned projects...
I've never been the primary maintainer of a publicly-released project before, but I can give it a shot! :)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hi Ed, for me it's official that you're the primary mantainer. Also I've informed Tormentor667 that you will continue (if you wish) to carry out these special patches for Batman Doom. From time to time I'll send you some slightly modifications. Hope that's ok for you.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'll do my best. Last night, I uploaded a new version, and turned the Plus version into an add-on to save on redundancy. You're more than welcome to borrow whatever you wish from them, to add to Reborn. There is still work for me to do, but currently I believe I've fixed the DoomEdNum issues for good.

EDIT: I've now rolled the Plus version into the standard version, using the magic of CVARs and menu options (though a few things, such as the fixed viewheight, are now permanent). My next move will likely be to fix the switched weapons, and accept incoming problem/bug reports.
KMetalMind

Post by KMetalMind »

Hi there!

I have an annoying bug to report in the last Batman Doom patch (BatDoomPatchfix.pk3). Whenever you press fire on any weapon, all enemies from the level get alerted. That doesn´t happen on previous releases like "BatDoomPatchPlus04.pk3" or "BDP07.pk3". I´ve tried looking into the pk3 files but I can´t find the source of the bug...

Great job on the patches anyway! And thanks for letting fans of Batman Doom like me play again this awesome mod!!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm seeing enemies alerted from weapon fire when using BatDoomPatchPlus04.pk3, or even when simply using the original batman.deh file.
KMetalMind

Post by KMetalMind »

Yeah, it´s normal that enemies get alerted by shooting, but that doesn´t affect all of them with the first shot. The map where is fastest to notice it is map04. Go right near the car and shoot a batarang. You will instantly here a huge noise and all enemies will be alerted: The ones on the buildings, the birds that are far away, the ones after the rails... If you do that on any of the earlier path releases, only some of the enemies will get alerted, but none of the ones in the buildings, birds etc will get alerted. It´s noticeable even with just the noise they make.

The wad contains many rooms where enemies shouldn´t be alerted when you arrive to them (mainly hidden enemies, or enemies which are inside building and shouldn´t be able to here you when you are outside).

I don´t know if it´s related, but once you arrive to Killer Croc arena in map04 there aren´t any rocks either.

It´s somehow hard to notice without comparing the different patches, but I´ve played the first 4 maps with 3 patch versions recently. Your patch is the best one, minus this side effect... I haven´t seen anything in the pk3 about alert, so i don´t know why it happens only on this one.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

It could be an ugly side effect of the methods I use to spawn monsters based on the toggles I added to enable the 'plus' features. The missing rocks sounds more like I just made a mistake...
I'll investigate tomorrow.
KMetalMind

Post by KMetalMind »

Don´t worry and keep up the good job! ;) I´m planning on playing the entire mod soon, so I´ll tell you if there´s something else that could be fixed.

I wanted to say too that I love how you have fixed the size of Batman without breaking anything else! It´s one of those changes that really enhance the experience. Thanks!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”