Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter [2018 "Farewell" Version]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Serious Sam : The Retro Encounter [Reboot] [New Trailer!

Post by Captain J »

i wonder today's ugh-zan does looks like.
or ugh-zan's another son, dauther! :D
i mean, ugh-zan's families got a diffrent forms.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

Batandy wrote:Dat final level
Are you actually finished with the final level already? How many are there, exactly?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:
Batandy wrote:Dat final level
Are you actually finished with the final level already? How many are there, exactly?
The egypt expansion i'm developing as a filler to add more single player maps will feature 3 levels, in a blind playthrough they can be completed in 40-50 minutes i think.
The main campaign will feature 9 levels instead.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

Good luck, then. :)
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

The double-resolution model rips actually looks good, but I can't help but feel that you should either scrap the native resolution sprites in favour of going purely double-res, or instead of doing double resolution sprites, prepare optimized, cleaner looking versions of the native resolution sprites. What I am saying is that consistency in the direction of the sprites, (native res or 2x res, not both at the same time) will do more to make it look better.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Beta 2.0 Released

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?f5f1epj0b7rn7tm

-Added 3 singleplayer maps "Egypt Expansion Pack"
-Added 1 survival map
-Added 2 deathmatch maps
-Added an intro for the main campaign
-Added 3d Models (You can disable them by typing "gl_use_models 0" in the console)
-Added Sgt. Mark's "Ketchup Gore"
-Added recoil to most of the weapons (There isn't any kind of recoil when using Iron Sights)
-Added taunting sound effect
-Added hi-res sprites for the foliage
-The Serious Bomb weapon now works correctly in multiplayer
-Improved DM04
-Improved explosion sprites
-Improved laser gun projectiles

Egypt Expansion Pack:
A set of 3 new egyptian levels!

"The path to the Tomb"
Difficulty: 3/5
Secrets: 2

"The Ancient Mastaba"
Difficulty: 4/5
Secrets: 2

"The Wrath of the God"
Difficulty: 5/5
Secrets: 0

Please run the game in hardware (OpenGL) mode
You can disable 3d models by typing gl_use_models 0 in the console

Well, after 2 months of hard work, the new version of Retro Encounter is officially out! The game now finally has a complete campaign with secrets and even a final boss.
I didn't test the maps on cooperative mode, but they should work. If something breaks just tell me and i'll do my best to fix it in the next version.
So, have fun, and don't forget to post your feedback!
Captain J

Re: Serious Sam:The Retro Encounter [Reboot][Beta 2.0 Releas

Post by Captain J »

Batandy wrote:-Added 3 singleplayer maps "Egypt Expansion Pack"
-Added 3d Models (You can disable them by typing "gl_use_models 0" in the console)
-Added Sgt. Mark's "Ketchup Gore"
-Added taunting sound effect
I SERIOUSLY FUCKING LOVE IT!

ooh god just like a my birthday, can't wait for golden soul!

edit: taunting effect with randomizer will be more appreciated!
maybe...5~10 taunt should do it.

also kleer's attack is not even do a jumps and harm anything, just moving(i mean sliding.) foward. need to be fixed.
Mánibranðr System

BatAndy, I am going to be very blunt and honest here. I hope you take this in a good way, because I really want this mod to be good.

First off, the coding is atrocious. There's so many bad coding practices that I gave up trying to patch it to fix the coding. Using DECORATE instead of ACS to do the recoil effects, ammo counting UP as you fire your gun, lots of redundant code-pointers, and a lack of understanding of code pointer parameters. It wouldn't be so bad if it worked, but the problem is, due to its nature, it is impossible to combine it with any map set, since the weapon actors use the exact same actor names as the Doom weapons instead of using "replaces" in the Actor declaration.

Secondly, the weapon balance is all over the place, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that nowhere in your code, are the damage values stripped of the internal damage multipliers present in Doom. (Hitscan bullets multiply by 1~3, Melee multiplies by 1~10 and Projectiles multiply by 1~8 ) This results things like the Axe doing 200~2000 damage or 200~1600 damage, since you used a projectile for a melee attack. There are flags that are present that are capable of bypassing the damage multipliers. There is a boolean parameter for A_CustomPunch, a flag for A_FireBullets and you can enclose your damage formula in brackets for the damage actor property of projectiles. I know that this has been mentioned in the SeriousZone forums.

I strongly suggest that you do a major audit and revision of your code, I want you to go to the Zdoom IRC channel and ask for help. We can help you learn to code the right way. Everything I have learned about ZDoom Decorate is thanks to the folks here who are willing to give tips, pointers and insights into Decorate and ACS, and how they actually work.

Here are some things that you should know :

New Ammo Types & Guns that Reload, a tutorial by WildWeasel
Learn to use state-jumps properly. A_JumpIfInventory isn't the only state jump function available. In fact, you should always have the ZDoom wiki on hand.
NEVER EVER use the same actor names as the actors in the iWADs you're modding from. That means NO custom actors named Minigun. (Since Skulltag uses it.) If you need to replace a Doom/Skulltag weapon or actor, then use a different name then use the "replaces" keyword to replace the Doom/Skulltag actor that you want. Like so :

Code: Select all

ACTOR SamMG : Weapon replaces Minigun 57600
{
}
All in all, I really hope that you don't take it the wrong way. Remember, this all started because I wanted to code a patch to make your mod work with Alpha/Delta Invasion, because I thought that playing those invasion map packs would be fun with a Sam flavour, and it would be nice to promote your mod.

Cheers.
Mánibranðr System

Well, one month later, I managed to get a patch out for the DM portion!

Download : http://static.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/ssre-patchv0.19.pk3

Changelog :

- Edited the axe view-sprites, there is no longer any noticeable cut-off at the sides for the attack animations.
- Changed the axe damage to 200 ± 50 in co-op and 1000 ± 250 in deathmatch. (Insta-kill)
- Added an alternate version of the Axe that attacks faster, but does 120 ± 30 damage in co-op and 60 ± 15 in deathmatch, and boosts player speed by 50% while wielded. *
- Fixed the reload bugs for the Deagle, Colt, Single Shotgun, Tommygun. They now count down normally.
- Added a movement slow-down effect for weapons when zoomed.
- All bullet weapons now fire fast-projectiles.
- Moved all recoil functions to ACS.
- Added quaking-effects for more powerful weapons.
- Changed the Deagle damage to 16 ± 4 for co-op and 20 ± 5 for deathmatch.
- Changed the Colt damage to 3-5 ripper.
- Increased the refire delay time of the colt weapon.
- Changed the damage of the single shotgun to 16 ± 4 x 8 for co-op and 10 ± 2 x 8 for deathmatch.
- Changed the damage of the winchester shotgun to 64 ± 16 + 16 ± 4 x 3 for co-op and 40 ± 10 + 10 ± 2 x 3 for deathmatch.
- Changed the reload of the winchester shotgun to one-by-one with a magazine capacity of 8
- Added a secondary fire option to the winchester shotgun that allows toggling between fast and accurate fire modes.
- Imported lever action sounds for the winchester shotgun from Killing Floor.
- Changed the damage of the coachgun to 16 ± 4 x 14 for co-op and 10 ± 2 x 14 for deathmatch.
- Changed the damage of the sawn-off to 16 ± 4 x 24 for co-op and 10 ± 2 x 24 for deathmatch.
- Greatly widened the bullet spread of the sawn-off
- Added a secondary firing mode for the sawn-off that allows for firing the weapon one barrel at a time.
- Changed the shell capacity to 88 and 176 with backpack
- Changed the damage of the Tommygun to 16 ± 4 for co-op and 12 ± 3 for deathmatch.
- Changed the refire rate of the tommygun to 3 tics, and fixed the stuttering of the firing sound.
- Imported reload sounds of the tommygun from Killing Floor.
- Increased the magazine capacity of the tommygun to 50
- Increased the ammo capacity for rifle bullets to 450 and 900 with backpack
- Changed the damage of the Minigun to 12 ± 3 for co-op and 8 ± 2 for deathmatch. with a refire rate of 1 tic and the ammo consumption rate of 1 bullet every 2 tics.
- Fixed the minigun barrel spinning system.
- Increased the spread of the minigun fire.
- Changed the ammo capacity of HMG bullets to 500 and 999 with backpack.
- Imported the spinning sound for the minigun from Serious Sam 3.
- Changed the damage of the rocket launcher to 160 ± 40 + 80 explosion for co-op and 100 ± 25 + 50 explosion in deathmatch.
- Changed the damage of the grenade launcher to 80 ± 40 + 6~80 + 160 explosion for co-op and 50 ± 12 + 3~50 + 100 explosion for deathmatch.
- Fixed the charging system of the grenade launcher.
- Added a grenade bounce sound for projectiles.
- Smoothed out the stuttering effect of the Lasergun firing loop, averaging the refire rate of the laser gun to 4 tics.
- Changed the damage of the laser gun to 32 ± 8 for co-op and 24 ± 6 for deathmatch.
- Mixed the firing sound from Serious Sam Classic : The First Encounter and Serious Sam HD : The Second Encounter for the firing sound.
- Changed the refire rate of the ghostbuster weapon to 2 tics
- Changed the damage of the ghostbuster beam to 32 ± 8 for co-op and 20 ± 5 for deathmatch.
- Changed the type of attack for the ghostbuster beam to rail shots.
- Used Ugh Zan III's lightning gun sound and the ambient lightning sound from Serious Sam Classic for the ghostbuster beam firing sound.
- Added a secondary fire mode to the ghostbuster weapon that releases a devastator shot.
- Devastator shot does 480 ± 120 + 240 ± 60 explosion, preceeded by 4 ripper projectiles doing 16 ± 4 damage, launching 40 fast tracer projectiles, each doing 72 ± 18 damage, in a circle when the main ball explodes. In deathmatch players take half damage from the ball, 5/8 damage from the ripper projectiles and 75% damage from the tracer projectiles. Each shot uses 40 electric ammo, and damage is comparable to a well-placed BFG shot.
- Sounds for the devastator shot is taken from royalty-free SFX sites, and it also borrows assets from Doom 2.
- Made a unique pickup sprite edited from the rocket launcher pickup sprite.
- Changed the ammo capacity of electricity charges to 640 and 1280 with a backpack.
- Changed the sniper behaviour to be more in line with a railgun, doing 288 ± 72 damage in co-op and 180 ± 45 damage in deathmatch.
- Cannon damage is fixed, it no longer does 1000-8000 ripper damage. It now does ripper damage based on the speed of the projectile, doing around 24-344 damage every tic that it is ripping through an enemy. When it stops, it explodes, dealing 320 damage. Players take quarter damage from this weapon in deathmatch.
- Reduced Forward-Back movement speed of players by 12%, making it closer to the strafing movement speed and making SR-45 the optimal strafe-running style.
- Increased jump height to 64 map units.
- Adjusted the player.attackzoffset value so that projectiles fire out of players chests as opposed to their crotches.
- Changed armor protection amount to absorb 67% damage.
- Changed the Serious Damage powerup so that it buffs damage by 3x as opposed to 2x.
- Added a regen sphere that regens 5 health every second up to 100.
- Added a guardsphere that reduces damage taken by 2/3.
- Added a randomizer that replaces the lasergun pickup, and has a 1/3 chance of giving the player a ghostbuster weapon instead.
- Added a randomizer that replaces the serious damage powerup and gives the player either a serious damage, regeneration sphere or guard sphere powerup. (Placeholder until more powerups are officially added by batandy.)
- Speeded up the firing rate of shotguns while in deathmatch or team game modes.

To use the basic axe, take the included player decorate file, comment out 'Player.StartItem "SSRESuperAxe",1', decomment 'Player.StartItem "SSREAxe",1' and package the new file as '<DesiredName>.pk3'. Be sure to upload it to http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.com/wads/ if you want other players to join your server with this option.

I have a test server up with this patch running at 183.178.37.2:10667 be sure to add http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/ to your wadseeker list.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

wow, thanks for the hard work. i already fixed it, but only weapons. :P
also i felt anubis are so weak because of cannons shots.
Mánibranðr System

Yep, 1000-8000 ripper damage would kill anything in one shot. :P

Also, this happened during testing. :P

I am gonna start working on the campaign enemies later, but weapons for deathmatch play is a priority for me. I am gonna need time for the patch to sit around and feedback for the deathmatch weapons balance to come in. Also, Batandy's gonna merge the patch in with his own preferences, I will have to see how that goes as well.
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Wow. I don't even.. This is probably the greatest tribute I've seen for Serious Sam... seriously.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheUnbeholden wrote:Wow. I don't even.. This is probably the greatest tribute I've seen for Serious Sam... seriously.
Says the guy that uploaded it without permission to ModDB?
BlueDragoon97

Post by BlueDragoon97 »

I'm not entirely sure that this issue hasn't already been brought up, but I'm having a big issue here. Whenever I load the .wad in GZDoom it gives me a Fatal Error message saying "5 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts." I've been able to get the game working in Zandronum (whenever I can figure out how to load the god**** thing), and I've seen no indication that this is incompatible with GZDoom, so I'm really not sure what to do. If anyone has encountered this issue before and has found a solution, please reply. For the record, I'm using the most recent version of the OS X port of GZDoom, if that makes a difference.
Captain J

Re: Serious Sam : The Retro Encounter [Reboot] [3D Models!]

Post by Captain J »

It already had, and here's the author's answer.
Batandy wrote:Yeah, i forgot to say that there's an issue with the CTF flags that makes the game impossible to be played on Gzdoom.
The only thing you can do is install Zandronum, since i'm developing the game mostly for that port
sometimes we need to play doom with zandronum.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”