Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MetroidJunkie

Re: [re-release] Pirate Doom!

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'm not aware of any GZDoom 1.8.4; the GZDoom site lists 1.8.2 as the latest official version. But I use development builds, and never had any issue with Pirate Doom. But I see that the dynamite calls A_AlertMonsters, which did briefly cause crashes in previous dev builds. That bug is long since fixed, though.
I got it from a forum when it was suggested I upgrade to get the A_CheckRange to work, which I intend to use to render models as sprites at a distance so I can get more complex polygonal decore into mods with less strain.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

If you're upgrading for the newest features, why not get the development builds? Sounds to me like you got some kind of homebrew mess with bugs that have already been fixed in the official development train.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Well, Version 1.8.02 calls it an invalid parameter. Is there a newer development build? I don't know if I'd call the newer one a homebrew build, though, since it was posted by Graf Zahl.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

All development builds are newer than the official build. That's what makes them development builds. Graf's website doesn't list anything newer than 1.8.2, so if he posted a 1.8.4, I don't see why it wouldn't be on his site, but it still wouldn't be as recent as the development builds.
Arch

Post by Arch »

I think Graf is having FTP problems. After his report, I foung Gzdoom 1.8.4 here:
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6158

Unfortunately, it crashed here too.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I see. Regardless, this is from a full month (minus two days) ago, when the newest development build is only ten days old, making 1.8.4 obsolete already. This must have been released before the bugfix for A_AlertMonsters was implemented. Strange that this build wasn't even so much as announced elsewhere, but stranger still when development builds already existed to fix these bugs.

Either way, use something newer, with the bug fixed.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Yeah, that seems to fix both issues simultaneously. Both PirateDoom and my model draw distance method work.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

This wad is fantastic! I played some kind of demo, before I got registered on this forum.
Every map is different and has interesting visual and gameplay finds. Now I just hope to have a chance to play it online on updated zandronum before I leave doom.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Couple of minor issues:
The player pain state (the front frame) has a stray cyan pixel between his legs.

Also, the song label FOREST is not credited in the credits.txt. It's from Banjo-Tooie.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Oops, I updated the end credits but forgot to include it on credits.txt. This and the cyan pixel are fixed now, thanks for pointing!
Zeberpal wrote: Now I just hope to have a chance to play it online on updated zandronum
There is an untested Zandronum version link two pages back! But its not updated, so it has one less map and other issues.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

oh, that's nice!

but .zip or .pk7 don't work correctly in Zandronum online, causing crashes.
You can never find .zip named file on zandronum's server list.
Is it possible to save this project as .pk3 for Zandronum?
(nowadays zandronum-compatible version of wads usually named as zan on the end (example: <primaryname>_zan.pk3))

I actually thought to ask someone to host a dedicated server with this wad.
Arch

Post by Arch »

I´ll have to ask Mr. Ed the Bat about this, he is the man behind this file organization. I couln't make a proper PK3 convertion. I'll update the Zandronum version with the new map.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Just extract the wad from the zip and run that.
Arch

Post by Arch »

See? He solves this kind of issue just like that :D

I'll upload an updated zandronum version soon.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

So Eksfaktr and I had a (mostly) successful co-op run of the most recent (GZDoom) version of the WAD; two major issues to report:
  • In the Sunken Ghost Ship map, the hatch that leads below decks only works once. If more than one player tries to drop down, the rest get stuck and never teleport to the below-decks area.
  • In LeChuck's Hideout, we managed to kill LeChuck without a red key spawning. We might have killed him too quickly, perhaps?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”