Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jinal

Re: [WIP] Pirate Doom!

Post by Jinal »

While looking for further music ideas for your project, I also always thought that E1M8 of 2002 A Doom Odyssey sounds very Piratish...

Of course most of the music from "Eternal Doom" especially map 30 also reminded me of Pirates...

Arch

Post by Arch »

Nice songs, I tried to find midi versions of Alone in The Dark 2 but I couldn´t, do you know if they´re avaliable?
rosfell wrote:You're doing it well my friend, but I found a couple of bugs on map 03, first I was unable to raise the bridge for some strange reason, also the game crashed when i got the blue key at the end of the level, I'm not sure what happened but well, could you fix it please?
I can try, what source port (and version) were you using? I got to find the errors first...
lzvk25 wrote:AGAIN, FOUND IT !!! After rummaging inside several DVD's, I found the file where I got the armors and several other goodies, you can now download it at http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... -items.zip
Thanks!! I took a look at the items, I think some of them can fit...
ShadesMaster wrote:YARG!!!! a barnacle I be!!!!! A future level can have a tavern called 'Barnacle Bar!' LOL!!!!
There you go!!

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... 5-maps.zip
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Have a whirlpool, tidal wave, seagulls, and stuff.
Arch

Post by Arch »

I think that with Scroll_textures, Translucent_Line and 446 3d sectors maybe there can be a presentable whirlpool in Doom. But that´s a good idea.
SuperCrazyMan

Post by SuperCrazyMan »

I wanted to pop in to say that I LOVE the atmosphere of this WAD, very creative! :)
Springy

Post by Springy »

Really good so far. Nice to see it's progressing and each level thus far has a lot of attention to detail. Those hand drawn sprites are really well done. What software do you use to make them? Mspaint?
Arch

Post by Arch »

Thanks guys :wink:

Yes, I use Paint.NET to edit those, but I can´t really draw, I basically copy and paste stuff. For exemple, the imp´s hat is taken directly from Lee Chuck himself. Even the eyepatches are from Jubei (Samurai Showdown). I only draw minor things like beards, bandanas and tatoos (and those where quite hard for me).
Gez

Post by Gez »

I played through the five maps. Missed one of the seven secrets in Treasure Cove map; but maxed everything else. :)

There are a few problems with repeatable (or non-repeatable) linedefs. For example, some of the blocking lines that tell "maybe I can jump in that bottomless hole later" stop being blocking after telling their message once, so that you can jump down afterwards. But the others do not?

Same map, there's also the wooden section that lowers as you cross it.Then you climb up the tunnel and you find a switch that can raise it back. But if you activate that switch again, it keeps climbing up. It'd be better if activating the switch again would alternate between raising and lowering.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Thanks for the feedback, I fixed the bridge raising buttom, it should not be a repeateble action. Although I agree that is nicer to alternate between raising and lowering, I don´t know how to do this with only 1 bottom.

About the blocking lines, I tried to simulate what you pointed, but I simply cannot jump into that hole, no matter what I do. All linedefs were marked as "blackplayers", so it shoudn´t happen. I flipped them all to face the player, maybe it was that?
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

The weapons in here look really great, this could be an interesting theme for deathmatch as well. Also, "Arch", are you Arch129 by chance?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Arch wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I fixed the bridge raising buttom, it should not be a repeateble action. Although I agree that is nicer to alternate between raising and lowering, I don´t know how to do this with only 1 bottom.
With one button? A script.

Code: Select all

Script Whatever
{
    if (GetSectorFloorZ(tag, 0, 0) == raisedheight)
    {
        Floor_LowerByValue(tag, otherparams);
    }
    else if (GetSectorFloorZ(tag, 0, 0) == loweredheight)
    {
        Floor_RaiseByValue(tag, otherparams);
    }
}

Replace the various parameters as appropriate to the map.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Thanks a lot! It´s working fine now, up and down.
cq75 wrote:"Arch", are you Arch129 by chance?
No, but I also met other "Archxxx"s around.. seems pretty usual hehe
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

very nice, but most of all: original!!!
Arch

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - 06 maps now

Post by Arch »

Thanks!!!

I finished another version, with one more gun, monster and map.
It´s called "Circus!" and it´s all about crazy gameplay, "tricks and traps" style.
Designed to be played in sequence but also playable from pistol start, as all the other maps.

Download here:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... mv0.61.pk3

And a video full of spoilers:
Spoiler:
EDIT: uploaded download link with version 0.61, has some new light effects and minor graphical changes.
Last edited by Arch on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShadesMaster

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - 06 maps now

Post by ShadesMaster »

I like it; I like it!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”