Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jabberwock

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - new map "Booty Bay"

Post by Jabberwock »

Arch,
1. I can not promise anything, but I will try. Can you show me the cannon?
2. Yes, but it is a good way to add chaingun, and technically Somalians are pirates.
3. Thank you!
5. You got the point )
7. :twisted:
8. http://ftp.mancubus.net/pub/idgames/lev ... /dab_2.zip
9. And another variant from my friend: http://rghost.ru/40702898

Gez, yarr!
Spoiler:
Arch

Post by Arch »

Sorry for taking so long, been away for a while;

This is the cannon:
Spoiler:
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Nice. :)
Arch

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Pirate Doom! - new map "Battleships!"

Post by Arch »

Yarr maties, I uploaded a new version of Pirate Doom here:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... omv0.8.pk3

New features:
BlueFireZ88 wrote:I usually play Doom in widescreen, so is it possible to edit the more wide area weapons (like the cutlass) to be extended for widescreen?
- Widescreen compability;
- Lots of new pirate talking;
- Converted wav sounds to ogg to decrease file size;
- Every bug fixed (I hope);
Jabberwock wrote:7. How about stationary cannons? (1st Use - Load, 2nd Use - Fire), maybe even with fixed direction of fire - still cool.
8. Do you remember the wad "You sunk my battleship!"? How about OMG SHIP FIGHTS?
- Cannons and ship battles added, that´s the new map:
Spoiler:
The cannon sprites doesn´t really match the other weapons, but I couldn´t find a better one. My attempts to edit them failed hard. I even made a request here with no sucess:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p651314

I don´t know if I got used to it, but now I think it doesn´t look bad in game. Of course an "outlaws-styled" cannon would be better, but I´ll use this until someone helps me with this one. Here´s the video:

MAP 08 "Battleships!"
Spoiler:
Also updated first post with new screenshots.
BlueFireZ88
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

The cannon doesn't really look that out of place. It looks ok for the most part. It's a neat level to go with it too.

On a side note, I have a suggestion for a song for this mod, but the music file is a tad difficult to find (especially in high quality).

It's from Worms Open Warfare 2, the Pirates theme:
Spoiler:
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd also suggest the Pirates table theme from Slam Tilt Pinball, which is quite action-packed for a sea-shanty. =P (I can help you find the original tracked file, at that; don't worry about the video being of gameplay.)
Arch

Post by Arch »

Nice tunes! I´m trying to stick to midi versions, but if I can find a lowsized version of those, will be great.

Wildweasel you have no idea how many pinball games I looked searching for Slam Tilt, not only for the pirate table but the game itself, I played it so much when I was younger but couldn´t remember the name. The sad and offtopic part is that it seems not to be windows 7 compatible.

Anyway, there´s a pirate.dat arquive, probably with the song in it :)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Arch wrote:Wildweasel you have no idea how many pinball games I looked searching for Slam Tilt, not only for the pirate table but the game itself, I played it so much when I was younger but couldn´t remember the name. The sad and offtopic part is that it seems not to be windows 7 compatible.
Yeah, sadly, Slam Tilt itself is an incredibly stubborn game; I once managed to get it to work on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine, but I needed to use a combination of killing Explorer.exe (to prevent the color palette from fucking itself) and Dxwnd to prevent it from crashing on startup. It works...kind of.

There is also an Amiga version that you can run in WinUAE, but your mileage may vary with that as well. (Personally, it kept crashing on me...)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm liking the newest map, but these cannons really need WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM, since the projectiles are subject to gravity. Not having an easy time hitting anything with these, as it is.
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

While I was playing this last map (MAP08), I was getting stuck constantly when I used the cannon, so I decided to take a look at the code in your decorate and acs script, and I noticed that in your map08 scripts, once script 2 is executed, script 3 won't take it back to the initial state. So, I commented both scripts and recompiled maps!.wad and it ran like a charm.
I don't know if it was your intention, but it was very annoying to be stuck in the first window without being able to do anything even if we had already killed the demons on that particular ship.
:?

Plus, I am getting these errors :
Spoiler:
:cry:
Arch

Post by Arch »

lzvk25, theoreticly you should release the cannon and be free after pressing alt fire or switching weapons, but when I was making the map I noticed sometimes you´re still stuck at the window even after releasing the cannon (I though I had fixed this). The solution was to grab it again and release it, but it´s not ideal for sure.

I don´t understand when you say you "commented both scripts and recompiled maps!.wad", could you tell me how to that, or send me the wad?

And thanks for pointing those erros, I´ll fix them.
Ed the Bat wrote:I'm liking the newest map, but these cannons really need WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM, since the projectiles are subject to gravity. Not having an easy time hitting anything with these, as it is.
Oops I don´t use autoaim so I missed this. Fixed :-)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Arch wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:Blah blah cannons autoaim blah
Fixed :-)
Thanks very much! As for the issue with the cannons and getting stuck... it seems you have the script for slowing down and getting stuck in there set on a line. We sometimes stumble over that even after dropping the cannon. The script is already attached to the cannon pickup itself, so this seems like it would just cause problems. Though, personally, I'd feel safer putting that script in the actual pickup definition, as opposed to tagging it in the map. This would simply require the creation of a CustomInventory that gives the cannon, and setting the script in its Pickup state. But maybe that's just me. :)
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

Arch wrote: I don´t understand when you say you "commented both scripts and recompiled maps!.wad", could you tell me how to that, or send me the wad?

And thanks for pointing those erros, I´ll fix them.
Simple, actually you have already done things way harder than this, obviously I uncompressed PirateDoom!v0.8.pk3, then with the file maps!.wad, I use slumped and I go to the very last item in the "Lumps" Column, which is the scripts of Map 08, and I edit it. Then in scripts 2 and 3, I do the following :
Spoiler:
Click on the "Save Changes" button, then I go back to the last item in the "Lumps" column, the scripts of map08, the I do right click and select the bottom option : "Compile ACS", save the wad using the buttons at the top. Of course you will need to configure splumped before using it Menu : File -> Options, telling it where do you have your DOOM2 iwad and your ACC.exe

That's it nothing more simple. Obviously I recompressed the new maps!.wad into PirateDoom!v0.8.pk3

You can still find slumped at : http://slumped.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

Although Slade http://slade.mancubus.net/ works too, but it is the force of habit.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Oh you edited two scripts. You made it sound way more complicated, matey!

Yes these scripts are intentional. Those are heavy cannons so your speed is reduced while holding them. And there is a tecnical explanation for why you cannot leave the window area while holding the cannon, but it was so long I just deleted it. There are metal bars on the floor blocking the wheels of the cannons :wink:

But yes there will be a "portable" cannon later in the mod, and you´ll be able to run with it, and explode everything, including realism :mrgreen:

About being stuck even before killing all the monsters, you can press alt fire (or switch weapon) to drop the cannon anytime. I thought it would be intuitive, but now I added a little instruction at the beginning of the map. I´m posting it here to see if someone can make it more piratish, because my pirate english is even worse than my english:

"There are two things a pirate should know before using a cannon:"
"1 - Shooting the edge of a window may cause accidents;"
"2 - ...and press alt fire to drop the cannon!!"
Ed the Bat wrote: As for the issue with the cannons and getting stuck... it seems you have the script for slowing down and getting stuck in there set on a line. We sometimes stumble over that even after dropping the cannon. The script is already attached to the cannon pickup itself, so this seems like it would just cause problems. Though, personally, I'd feel safer putting that script in the actual pickup definition, as opposed to tagging it in the map. This would simply require the creation of a CustomInventory that gives the cannon, and setting the script in its Pickup state. But maybe that's just me. :)
That´s not just you my friend, it seems it was the only way to make it work properly :D. It´s much better now! Thanks a lot!
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Neato!!! Nice to see such an underused theme in (G)ZDooM!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”