Threshold Of Pain II - ACT 2 RELEASED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
scalliano

Threshold Of Pain II - ACT 2 RELEASED

Post by scalliano »

You knew it would never be over. You knew the demons would never stop. You knew the scientists would never learn.

But you didn't know everything.

Until now ...

Threshold Of Pain II is the sequel to 2010's Cacoward-also-ran Threshold Of Pain. It attempts to build upon the principals of the original while addressing some of the criticisms which were levelled at it, and adding more stuff into the mix.

Along the way you'll find out more about the Triton disaster, things that not even your military superiors were briefed on, and what exactly happened at the end of the first game.

Features include:
- Everything that ToP I had
- 10-12 new levels
- More varied level design
- 3D floors a la Doom64
- Deep water
- New monsters and weaponry, including a new final boss
- Elements from other incarnations of Doom (such as Doom 3 and Doom RPG)

Screenies:

UPDATE: This is the first two parts of the mod, consisting of 7 maps (6 plus 1 secret) which I have decided to release as completion of the final act hs as taken longer than I had originally anticipated, due to RL issues and work on other things. This does NOT mean that the mod has been cancelled - work on the final six maps is well under way, but this release is to assure those interested that I'm still here and still working on it. Release of the full mod should happene sometine in 2015, but in the meantime, enjoy this update!
https://www.mediafire.com/?w2w5899klmfbfz3

Credit goes to Marty Kirra for the awesome new titlepic.

All feedback is welcome, as always.
Last edited by scalliano on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 12 times in total.
The Ultimate DooMer

Re: Threshold Of Pain II

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Looks promising, try to keep the ammo supplies down a bit this time though :P
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Ammo balancing is high on the agenda ;)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

My only gripe with the first one is that some of the later maps got so long that ultimately it became tiring and boring for me.

Having maps in a mulit-map megawad that can be completed in a reasonable time makes a good gaming experience, for me at least, because you're keeping the players refereshed instead of bugging them down with an hour-or-so-long map.

Of course, that is just my opinion, though.
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Oh this is awesome news.
I am a big fan of the first one.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I was always hoping some folks would also add these awesome color lighting effects to the normal PC maps (similar to what they did with the PSX version - as long as you need the original wad data, should be OK). This adds lots of atmosphere.

Anyway, ToP is the next best thing to it and is urgently recommended. And a sequel to good stuff is never a bad idea. :)
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

I couldn't get some of the doors to open on Map 1 of the original for some strange reason, so I eventually decided to no-clip my way through. . . I'm glad I did, because the rest of the WAD was much better put together and generally great stuff. Glad to see you're working on the follow-up. I expect very good things from this.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Were you using some non-default compatibility settings? I think all ZDoom MAPINFO lumps should get a defaultmap section where compat_useblocking is turned off.

This being turned on (by people playing in "Doom" compatibility mode) is the number #1 cause of unopenable doors in Boom and ZDoom mods.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Yes Hell.
ShadowTiger

Post by ShadowTiger »

Sounds kickass. So what kinds of weapons are you planning?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

That would be telling ;)
Springy

Post by Springy »

Yes a sequel I really enjoyed the first one and judging by the screenshots map 01 looks really good. Will all the monsters from the first one also be included? I mean like the purple ball imp things, blue cacos and lord of heresy for example?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

All of the enemies from ToP1 will be in there, although the Nightmare Imp now has a new sprite. He was originally just a (naff) "Ice" translation of the regular Imp, but now he looks a bit more PSX-style:
Attachments
He still throws the same purple fireballs, though.
He still throws the same purple fireballs, though.
tro2a1x3.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 11440 times
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

Looks awesome!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”