[WIP] MindFuck

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] MindFuck

Postby Ravick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 am

MindFuck
When you play it...

Mindfuck is a horror-themed game/mod, set in darkness, made ​​to have a tense atmosphere and immersive gameplay. It was planned to have a slower gameplay (speed-runners may not enjoy it), focused on details of setting (not talking about map detailing), seeking to please players who like to feel in character''s skin; to embody the story.

The main idea is (try) to create a horror game, with good feeling, many zombies, scares, monsters, creepy music and details, and of course many mindfucks. The most common enemy in most of the time are zombies civilians, workers and visitors to the same place as you, who were dead in the incident and then revived by the dark forces that now hold the place. The zombies are dumb (as zombies must be anyway), but the living enemies has some improved AI.

Many of the weapons in the game are scenery objects used by the player as a defense until he can find real firearms. In some parts the use of flashlights is essential.

There are RPG elements (like Deus Ex or Strife) and the player can talk to other people, usually survivors, and even have their help in some situations. Also in many cases will need to use computers to get passage or some other benefit.

So, some details:

History (very) shortened:

Spoiler:

Gameplay notes:

Spoiler:

Weapons:
* Many weapons are not really weapons, but scenery objects that can be used for defense, like chairs, boxes or gas cylinders.

* There will be lots of melee weapons. All of them, each one in a way, can be lost.

* All the fire-weapons has to be reloaded, it's their Alt Fire.

* There are too flashlights: One is 'Doom3 like', and other is attached to another weapon. There is also flares.

* There are not plasma, laser or BFG weapons. Most are ballistics or explosives.

* Most weapons (seen in the videos) are in alpha or beta stage.

Enemies
There are, basically, 3 types of enemies:

* Undeads: Earthlings or not, they are dumb and usually slow. Typical zombies.

* Living wilds: They are 'animals', but not intelligent/civilized beings. Most are smart, fast, and some has special attacks techniques. Some also are near inoffensive.

* Living Civilized: They are intelligent, more then the wild ones. This guys will never be trolled by light beans, and many can 'understand' if player is hiding, or has a strong weapon. Possibly the main stakeholders in the invasion.

Edit: The zombie translations was made in Alpha versions. Many will be taken.

Other features:
* Inner-Games: All maps will have easter-eggs. One kind of it are consoles in what player can play other games (usually ATARI 2600 games). See the videos.

* Trolling flashlights: Some of the 'wild' enenies may be distracted with the light beans of the flashlights, allowing the player to save ammunition, to escape the attention of enemies, or just have fun ...

* Previous Weapon button.

* A usable PDA (I didn't made it yet).

* Two game modes: The story-line maps, and the original (IWAD) maps. If playing with doom maps, it becomes a gameplay mod.

Screenshots: (big pics)
Spoiler:

Videos:

Spoiler:

*Incomplete* Releases:

1 - 'Pre-Alpha' debug only version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o77cs ... cks_1A.rar (Does not work anymore in modern (G/Q)Zdoom versions!)
2 - 'Pre-Alpha' version fixed: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1wd3 ... 1A%232.wad (Does not work anymore in modern (G/Q)Zdoom versions!)
3 - New 'Pre-Alpha' debugging only map: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gdaawkqj2 ... 5022017.7z
Last edited by Ravick on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ravick
Do what thou wilt, since you don't bug the hell out of me!

Re: [WIP] MindFuck

Postby SSKLegaia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:12 am

Great mod, Ravick.
Hope you finish this soon so we can play ;)
SSKLegaia
Run...back O.O"?

Postby CorSair » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:31 am

Oh boy, never been fan of horror games, aside from exceptions. Thing is, can I actually play it, when my nerves are what they are? :shock:

But this certainly looks promising. I'll be on lookout for release. :D
CorSair
Yay fridays

Postby CaptainToenail » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:12 am

Something very creepy around the corner in screenshot 3. :shock:

This has potential, just make sure it's not all fumbling about in pitch black cramped corridors and monster closets. :wink:
CaptainToenail

Postby Enjay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 am

Looks intriguing. Definitely one to watch out for.

CaptainToenail wrote:This has potential, just make sure it's not all fumbling about in pitch black cramped corridors and monster closets. :wink:

Agreed. No commercial game would do that. ;)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Ravick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks, guys! :D

CorSair wrote:Thing is, can I actually play it, when my nerves are what they are? :shock:

hehe, the alpha test version has a screamers. Testers wanted to kill me! :lol: So I took off the screamers.

CaptainToenail wrote:Something very creepy around the corner in screenshot 3. :shock:

Did you take a good look at the others? :mrgreen: Mindfucks are the theme of the game, players should play it looking for then in the maps, most of then only appear for a few seconds and then fades away.

CaptainToenail wrote:This has potential, just make sure it's not all fumbling about in pitch black cramped corridors and monster closets. :wink:

(My english is not very good, i'm not surre about what "monster closets" means :oops: )

But, yes, I'll avoid claustrophobic mapping, or too dark scenario. The map in the first video is one of the most darks. I take care of giving player space to fight, dodge, and, if he preffers, in many places hide behind things and avoid detection. Some areas are fully lightened.

I also dont want all the maps to be the same. Situations varies. Some maps will focus on melee zombies, others will have security stations, and zombies with guns, and monsters also are not always the same thing: Some ambushes, others "wanders" around, etc. Also I want to make a variety of places, like "industrial" like plants, offices, a hospital, etc.
__

I'll post the progress periodically. I will take some time, because I'm poor in free time :(
Ravick

Postby Enjay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:35 am

Monster closets - small cupboards or tiny rooms with no logical reason to exist that are stuffed full of monsters and often hidden until a player walks past and triggers a door releasing the monsters (usually very close to the player).
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Zanieon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 am

1st Screen - samara under the table?
2nd screen - small face close the gun in hud
3th screen - the ghost in right corridor
4th screen - perhaps that white thing is a ghost or just a Dynlight
5th screen - in the left wall light of the zombie where you aiming
6th screen - erm, the black thing in corridor isn't it?
7th screen - 404 not found
8th screen - face in the bright wall
9th screen - err, zombie doesn't count
10th screen - not found
and same for the last

Well done Ravick, i just cannot found the mindfuck of 4th screen, good luck with this and i want search more of these ghosts XD.
Zanieon
A Tamer of The Dark

Discord: Zanieon#3177
Twitch ID: Zanieon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Ravick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 am

Enjay wrote:Monster closets - small cupboards or tiny rooms with no logical reason to exist that are stuffed full of monsters and often hidden until a player walks past and triggers a door releasing the monsters (usually very close to the player).

Oh, got it. I wont use it, I actually don't like it at all. I can understantd the use of this tricks in engines that doesn't summon emenies, like original Doom or Quake, but it is nonsense today. I rly hate when it happens in Doom3.

One thing I use sometimes, however, are monster hiding in dark spots, ambushed, waiting their prey... :mrgreen:

Revilution wrote:1st Screen - samara under the table?
2nd screen - small face close the gun in hud
3th screen - the ghost in right corridor
4th screen - perhaps that white thing is a ghost or just a Dynlight
5th screen - in the left wall light of the zombie where you aiming
6th screen - erm, the black thing in corridor isn't it?
7th screen - 404 not found
8th screen - face in the bright wall
9th screen - err, zombie doesn't count
10th screen - not found
and same for the last

Well done Ravick, i just cannot found the mindfuck of 4th screen, good luck with this and i want search more of these ghosts XD.

Thanks, man! :D
Hey, you have good eyes, got almost all of them!
lol, if you don't found, maybe nobody will XD
Ravick

Postby Ethril » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Revilution wrote:Well done Ravick, i just cannot found the mindfuck of 4th screen, good luck with this and i want search more of these ghosts XD.

Spoiler:

Also, an occasional monster closet every now and then is acceptable, as long as you don't put them all over the place, like how regular wads seem to put an ambush trigger for EVERY SINGLE WEAPON, KEYCARD, SOULSPHERE, AND ELEVATOR SWITCH.
Ethril
F1

Postby Nash » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:23 pm

I couldn't see Samara in the first shot, even after brightening it...
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Pedro vc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Nash wrote:I couldn't see Samara in the first shot, even after brightening it...

Look under the first table in the left
Pedro vc

Postby Nash » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Spoiler:

This one right? Nope, can't see a damn thing.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Slasher » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:09 pm

I can definitely tell there's a white shape under that table, but how anyone can tell it's supposed to be Samara or anything else... I have no idea.
Slasher
It smells like luncheon meat that's been walking around in the sun too long.

Postby Pedro vc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:16 pm

It's the same figure from the shot 4
Pedro vc

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects