[WIP] Rylayeh_Edit v00

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

[WIP] Rylayeh_Edit v00

Postby RV-007 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 am

Next final boss after the Gate Watcher is the Cthulhu Star-Spawn bossbrain of the RYLAYEH.wad.
http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14278

This wad replaces actors to things I believe will validate with the Necronomicon or H.P. Lovecraft. This pwad project was easier to start implementing (learned a new thing about morph projectiles [part of the powerup/powergiver lump scripts], but I'm not finished yet. Filename is changed to encompassate other actors than the star-spawn bossbrain. You will meet the cultist of Cthulhu, whose responsible to keep the thrall (some voluntary, some possessed) for service and ritual. Despite being weak in physical (and certainly) mental health, they gain new found powers under the worship of their master. Cultists are armed w/ a twin firing super shotgun and can MASS RESURRECT dead monsters around the target/player (provided if they are w/i radius). A horde of cultists would be a nightmare (in a good dooming way), but thankfully, the rylayeh.wad does not have too much wolfensteinss monsters sprinkled throughout the maps.

When downloading file, do not expect drastic changes in this wad b/c it's not supposed to add more (aesthetic) experience to the island of Rylayeh. I want keep w/i the context of Lovecraft (something detailed, yet vague). I tried to make the wad into fighting something in what Lovecraft intended as the impossible. Resources to support this context is quite limited so expect two monster actors as changes for a very long time (it's a downer).
.wad is a large size (50mb est.) so keep .wad in .zip file for gameplay.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3531217/zdoomfo ... ditv00.wad

Now w/ screenshots!
Spoiler:

Notes + Standard:
Spoiler:

I also need help to get the flood action going so I can cause drowning damage to targets of Cthulhu Star-Spawn. I just found out about the airsupply variable in the MAPINFO lump script.
Last edited by RV-007 on Sat May 25, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 28 times in total.
RV-007
anti-13ashar_society, lol
Banned User

Re: [WIP] Cthulhu for RYLAYEH Version 00

Postby Captain Proof » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Loved that mapset, I'm testing it out right now.

UPDATE: I like the effect, too bad you can't really implement something like on Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth.
Captain Proof
Yeah, I am as sleazy as this avatar looks

Postby RV-007 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for the compliment even though the wad is far from being finished.
I assume that when you mentioned "Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth", you meant a pwad project that includes a theme, storyline, and context to add in another Lovecraftian addition to the DoomWorld archives. That would take a while since I would have to read much of Lovecraft's fictional work so I can get a concept.

I might try to make monster sprites based on strange aquatic animals rather than on Lovecraft's imagination just b/c of the sheer factor of strange.
And to put the horrors to the test for possible Lovecraftian monsters V
Spoiler:
RV-007
Banned User

Postby RV-007 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 am

I don't really have any doom modding experience w/ ACS yet so it's a no go. Some of my current ideas (not completely implemented) mainly come from the depiction of the classic Lucifer/Satan. The idea may involve terms in temptation, accusation, and deception. The temptation part might be the bossbrain spawning items away from its location. I don't know how to translate accusation, but I think the current curse projectiles work pretty well. The deception part could be spawning fake (and often cheap) items near the base. If I really want to be really cheap, some of the items will have a chance to be a disguised land mine. I don't know if I would add item spawning from the bossbrain just yet.

The next thing to do is to rename the bossbrain from Cthulhu to just Star-Spawn (Cthulhu cannot be harmed by mortal weapons) so that the theme is consistent enough w/ Lovecraft's work. Since the powergiver and inventory stuff is new to me, I will go w/ making melee projectiles to act like retractable whip-tentacles that poison the target (great place for non-health items).
RV-007
Banned User

Re: [WIP] Cthulhu/Star-Spawn for RYLAYEH Version 00

Postby Captain Proof » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:42 pm

See if I was doing a monster replacement for this mod I would do it like this.
Spoiler:

They have a more detailed account of Lovecraftian monsters in the COC Monster Manual but I can't seem to find them.I will keep looking though.

I am aware that not all of these coincide with Cthulhu's realm of influence, but I can't really figure out what could be used without raiding ideas from COC.And even they had a limited selection of enemies.

And tell you the truth I would make a weapon replacement as well to reflect that time period.
Spoiler:
Captain Proof

Postby RV-007 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 am

As long the monsters are consistent w/ Rylayeh themes and are mortal, I can probably work out the code w/o backfire from context and infeasibility. I hope that replacing monsters would be a successful implementation in bringing out that Lovecraft's fictions. I still need to get around to find the neccesary sprite images to represent the monsters. I wonder if Blood3D cultists will do as Deep One hybrids?
Spoiler:
As for weapons, I think that needs to be addressed as well. The time setting seems to be during WW1 to the Great Depression (enough of that word [I'm going crazy]). I think using Blood3D's cache of weapons is quite befitting for the timeline.

Monsters and weapons will go after fixing/balancing the abilities of the Star-Spawn (I wanted to get rid of that out of the way and I think monsters/weapons will need some literary research before anything happens). The next version will include astral projected morph/blindness/wanderlust etc curses (no instantous gazes yet [and the bossbrain is not directly Cthulhu]), a whipping/retractable (<- new stuff) tentacle of some (poison/paralyze) melee-range effect, and spawning items that may be either sit inconveniently on tainted blood pools or even curse the player. I might try to make the Star-Spawn to summon blood tentacles or different (giant) bossbrains beyond the walls at some time. Once the next version is released, monsters and weapons will come afterwards.

I think I'll change the horizontal eye pupil of the bossbrain right now so the visuals are more octopus-like. The original sprite image still looks more eviler than my edit.
Spoiler:
Last edited by RV-007 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RV-007
Banned User

Postby Captain Proof » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:49 am

A recolored Blood cultist may work out well.It seems like those who are in the Esoteric order of Dagon are almost a grey, sickly color.
Captain Proof

Postby RV-007 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Ok, I went back to the project and forgotten to fixed all the errors (weaponslots, player-monster mess, and morphing tests). Errors should be fixed (but no new download link [will share once I think it is ready for beta testing]). Now I could move on with the ideas. :|

You may notice that the bossbrain now floats in a duck-and-cover manner now. the +NORADIUSDMG is applied too. I did this because somehow my laptop's driver adaptor fucks itself over and I had to resort to default Video Graphics Array compatibility. My default VGA would not recognize the moving elevator that the bossbrain resides on. Nevertheless, there happens to be some errors here and there and I am now resorting to download Windows updates (so far so good). This incident happened just right after I made this pwad. I believe this is quite a coincidence for the Curse of Cthulhu may strike against my laptop as to stifle my progress.

Will be working on maw tentacles that poison nearby players. Normal tentacles in blood pool is normal damage.
Attempting blindness and wanderlust etc afterwards. Artillery style bossbrains (that don't end the game upon death) will be extra. I'm trying to cram all this into the next version, but I doubt I can do that w/o mishaps in one sitting.

EDIT (14/02/2012):
I am being bogged down with life so I have to ice the progress of all my projects.
Happy Valentine Day (whatever that means [pagans :twisted: , christ ():) , and smooches :wub: ] anymore) !!!
There's a minor change in the ending image, which shows a star vampire drilling in some guy's head >:D . None can escape the city of R'ylayeh!
Last edited by RV-007 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
RV-007
Banned User

Re: [WIP] Cthulhu/Star-Spawn for RYLAYEH Version 01

Postby RV-007 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Okay, I resume a bit of progress on this wad.
Version 01 is out and it includes three symptom curses to cripple its foes. You would know if you got one of these curses b/c they are the only ones that push and shove (hurt). These symptom curses might make the Star-Spawn bossbrain more merciless. Discuss (the speed of cursed inventory/projectiles) or not, it's here now.

Upnext, tentacles (I might need some sprite work with these part) and maybe one or some giant bosses (Godzilla reference) that will shoot the player with destructive force.

+Symptom Curses
-Blindness (Common Frequency)
Lasts for about 60 seconds.
Will darken everything not on the spotlight, will also darken the interface. Prepare for blurriness (worser than it seems).
Star-Spawn will make up for this lack of firepower with common frequency of ZombieMan-based morph projectiles. Blindness + ZombieManMorph = Blind and Weak.

-Feebleness (Uncommon Frequency)
Rips off all standard weapons from the player.
This curse could be dangerous for a brief moment of time.

-Numbness (Rare Frequency)
Slows down player speed by 0.5.
The worst of the three curses, makes dodging or outrunning stuff much harder. You do not want to be numb when you are a blind ZombieMan.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3531217/zdoomforumsstuff/star-spawn_for_rylayeh_v01.wad

* Changes *
Spoiler:

Captain Proof wrote:And tell you the truth I would make a weapon replacement as well to reflect that time period.
Spoiler:

How about the chainsaw replacement? A whip, bat, beartrap, none, etc?
I would replace the rocketlauncher w/ a dynamite since those are more common as explosives during those times. It's easier to make dynamite sprites anyways.
RV-007
Banned User

Re: [WIP] Cthulhu/Star-Spawn for RYLAYEH Version 02

Postby RV-007 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:26 pm

The Star-Spawn can now defend on its own. The shock from its melee is practical paralysis; in addition, the damage should knockback players from the stand. Demons will be dispatched to chase the player away from the bossbrain.

If you were thinking to chainsaw the bossbrain, don't think about it b/c the only way to gain access to the stand is by polymorph (that means no access to other weapons). This also means the stand might as well be a melee death trap of some sort.

I will be making/finding tentacles when I can (might make a useless sidekick player class and some sprite stuff while I am at it). I want to include a giant sea monster from the deep.
Hear the waves roar! Hear the deliverance!

* Changes *
Spoiler:
Last edited by RV-007 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RV-007
Banned User

Postby RV-007 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 am

Looks like tentacles are possible. There is a Blood3D rose monster that uses tentacles. I will use that code too. Difference is that there will be splashes before summoning the semi-projectile tentacles. Upon death, the size-scaled tentacles will rise up and ensnare anyone unfortunate. The melee attack commerces and so forth. There will be a player death state where the player is coiled up and anchored down in the blood pool.
http://www.4shared.com/file/ar2vmSP0/ZD ... s_NEW.html
Last edited by RV-007 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RV-007
Banned User

Postby lolwut? » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 pm

This is a minor complain, but it's R'lyeh not RYLAYEH.
lolwut?

Postby RV-007 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm

RV-007 wrote:I will be making/finding tentacles when I can (might make a useless sidekick player class and some sprite stuff while I am at it). I want to include a giant sea monster from the deep.
Hear the waves roar! Hear the deliverance!

I will forget about adding in a deep sea monster since that's a moby dick story. The bossbrain is difficult enough since it won't sit in one place. Shooting the bossbrain with projectiles requires timing and players don't really have lots of time or ammunition to spare for both monsters and bossbrain. In addition, getting a Cthulhunian curse increases the risk of being swamped by monsters overtime.

In the next version, there will be spawned tentacles guarding spawned items in the blood pools. That should keep the player going w/ plenty of ammo and armor. Health refills must be done by the cursed projectiles, which requires a bit of wait before the player unmorphs w/ 100% health. I don' know how tentacles in blood pools make anything of a challenge, but I think those actors add more flavor to the theme. The next version will most likely end the focus on the final boss actors/objects.
RV-007
Banned User

Postby Tapwave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 am

lolwut? wrote:This is a minor complain, but it's R'lyeh not RYLAYEH.

Don't tell that to RV, he's not the one who made Rylayeh.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Discord: Insulting#2455

Postby RV-007 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 am

No prob, it's like inheriting a mess of problems, lol.
I need to make link references.
RV-007
Banned User

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects