Reelism Gold! Expansion Pack 3 (X3.1 Patch p.101)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Reelism Gold! Expansion Pack 3 (X3.1 Patch p.101)

Post by Captain J »

Kinsie wrote:...really, guys?
april fooled, yeah. right. i was just played like being fooled!...kinda. anyway i could never believed it if it was about quake 3.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Oh, I got the joke. I was just explaining it to people who didn't seem to get it.

(Though an actual port of "Slipgate Complex" to ZDoom would be... interesting.)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

It's probably pretty doable nowadays.

Anyway! I got off my butt and got some actual work done on X3.2 after doing that little prank, so if you have bugs to report, report 'em now!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Kinsie wrote:It's probably pretty doable nowadays.
The real prank should be that it wasn't a prank. :v

A 1:1 recreation of a Quake map would be pretty nasty for Reelism gameplay, but a Quake map would fit just great.

As far as bugs: The Duke RPG produces both a Dukesplosion and a Keksplosion. Looks very strange. (Keksplosions look very strange on their own, the massive amounts of smoke not going anywhere makes the blast look rather like a black hole.)

Fullscreen HUD needs some tweaking. Without scaling (hud_scale) it's basically unreadable at high resolutions, with scaling it looks totally naff (time counter and score label necking in the middle). Note that I specifically have issues with the dark red Doom font, something in a brighter color (like yellow) would be more readable.

Speaking of score, when you continue to a new game, it counts down your score to 0 from its previous value. Looks super-bizarre, and I'm not sure how you'd fix it short of disabling interpolation for it.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

And this is why I stopped checking into forums on 1st April :P
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Oh right, some suggestions...

Gameplay:
  • Quick keys for Inventory items in the Controls menu. (Easy enough, a list of "use whatsit" commands.)
  • A [wiki=Classes:MapMarker]map marker[/wiki] for bosses. It's easy to lose some of the smaller bosses on big maps.*
  • A map list that can be accessed from the Coop Lobby (for addon maps).
  • In connection with the above: A "random map" gate in the Lobby.
Modding:
  • A lossless version of the Boss intro sound, for modder use. (I hate recompressing. :P )
  • More empty reel slots for modders. (I may be considering making several addons. Something something quality.)
  • An "API" for adding maps to the map list.
  • An "API" for custom boss-specific (I.E. not map-bound) music.

* True Facts: Recently, I briefly lost track of the 25 Foot Office Temp on Gutrot Island. Sometimes, these things just happen.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

NeuralStunner wrote: [*]A map list that can be accessed from the Coop Lobby (for addon maps).
I had intended to add this, but my idea, like most, was shot down by the rest of the dev team.
NeuralStunner wrote: [*]More empty reel slots for modders. (I may be considering making several addons. Something something quality.)
I put in fifty slots! How many damn addons were you going to make?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Ed the Bat wrote:I had intended to add this, but my idea, like most, was shot down by the rest of the dev team.
Consider this an official request for reconsideration, then. It's a pain in the butt to use custom maps with the lobby.
Ed the Bat wrote:I put in fifty slots! How many damn addons were you going to make?
I swear it looked closer to 7 at first glance. (This is why you don't try to read code when you should be going to bed, kids.) I am, however, going to dodge your question. :v

After thinking about it, one should be able to assume that the current [slot]MAX indicates the next free slot. The blank slots are only really needed for someone who doesn't know any better. (I'm not at all fond of that empty string search.) Please correct me if I'm wrong and modifying a world array this way causes problems.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'll certainly consider the custom map list again. I can't promise anything immediate, though. Things have been... weird.
As for the empty strings in the array... it's been a long time since I set it up this way, and I feel like there was a reason I did it this way, but... the older I get, the worse my memory gets. I'm not opposed to re-doing things in a better fashion, so when I get around to working with this, I'll put your suggestion on the table and see what comes of it.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

If you think it might help, I could try packing in 40 or so dummy slots and seeing if it breaks.

Also, looking down the ACS a bit, there's some other arrays (endgame "achievements", music lists) that would be fun to add to via mods. All I'd need is a set of globals for their respective current sizes.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ultimately, it's up to Kins what gets added, but I personally have no objections to opening up anything to modders. I'd even considered customizable music lists before, myself. I just need to be sure I do it all at once, because every time the core libraries of Reelism change, ALL user add-ons have to be recompiled. Not that I'm opposed to doing that myself on behalf of all custom content creators, but it's the main thing that stops me from just changing it willy-nilly.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Backward compatibility, the bane of moddable games everywhere. (On the plus side, at least they only need to be recompiled, not rewritten entirely. Free tagline: "Better addon support than Blender.")

Before I forget: It'd be wise to enforce smooth lighting for the lobby map, the flat colors look odd with fake contrast disabled.

(Also thanks for stalking this thread, Ed. :P )
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

It's one of the threads I'm subscribed to. I've never had this much involvement in a public project before, and I take my work seriously.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

The only request I really have vis-a-vis opening things up to modders would probably be the ability to change the victory theme.

Maybe the death jingle or Mole Patrol music, but I don't feel nearly as interested in changing those.

(...this thread also reminds me that I really need to get off my ass and look further into this shit already.)
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Looking at how many strings there are built into the ACS modules, I'm wondering if the actual text ones could be swapped out to [wiki=LANGUAGE]Language[/wiki]. But I'm not sure if the [wiki=Print#Cast_type]l: cast[/wiki] works with a string variable or not. I think it'd be worth it, from a translation/customization/maintenance standpoint. (Heck, I could do it for you if you want.)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”