Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - Important question! (last

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 am

In the meantime until the next release, I'd like to offer up this hotfix version. Basically, it fixes the flashlight to work again, moves the playerclass declaration to MAPINFO where it belongs, and packages everything into a .wad instead of a jumble of multiple .wads inside of a .pk3.

Looking forward to the next version.

EDIT: Damnit, there was an error in my hotfix. I've reuploaded a working version, so if you tried to grab it before now, go for it again.
Last edited by Ed the Bat on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - Important question! (last

Postby LostSkull » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am

Yeah, 'bout the currrent state of the flashlight. I thought for a second I could "flash" the aliens to death since it uses bulletpuffs xD
User avatar
LostSkull
Banned User
 
Joined: 26 Sep 2013

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - Important question! (last

Postby ObsessedWithMODs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Deimos Anomaly wrote: I just finished all the new updates, upgrades, fixes and new areas on all levels of the (for now) first and only chapter. Now I just wondering if add the characters of Aliens (the marine teammates, Ripley, Newt...), for a pair of brief encounters with them or just leave it how is it.
Next step is a new and better weapons pack, based on the stuff seen in "Aliens Online".
Suggestions?


What about better Sentry Gun sprites? or a Shoulder Lamps? or Hand Welder game mechanics? I personally would love to have vehicles like Flying a Dropship and Driving an APC. Change the Flare color to be red or closer to the way it appeared in the film. Also if possible change the look of the flashlight to look like it did in the movie.

Anyways, well you did say this mod of yours is based on the Aliens film just that it's only from CPL Hicks' POV right? So in some way it's almost like Aliens TC all over again.

I mean if it's not LV-426 then the addition of Ripley and Newt really would be redundant. Otherwise I see no real problem if it is LV-426 as long as it's events that happened during the movie since the colony base really should have been totaled by that detonated Atmosphere Processor.

If their implementation is not too glitchy then why not? and better yet if it's entirely "optional", those that hate it can turn it off. Those that are open enough to try it are also given a chance to interact with other Marines, etc.

Remember what I said about "realism" between battles or combat between Marines and Xenomorphs?- It makes very little sense for a Lone Marine to mow down like so many Xenomorphs and make it out alive on his own at the end of the story or game.

Back in the early days of Mod making and earlier "Alien TCs" it's entirely understandable due to engine and various limitations. But now let's be realistic about it as much as possible, the Marines were meant to fight together as a Marine Squad unit. Marines were Not meant to be a One Man Army unless this is somehow a Terminator or something similar like some Overpowered Combat Cyborg fighting Xenomorphs (or maybe if he was Chuck Norris :mrgreen:), which obviously isn't the case here.

Just look at the Aliens movie again. You have different marines with different specialties and functions in their unit.

Vasquez and Drake and Smartgunners, Hicks and Apone are Squad Leaders, Gorman is the CO although quite a piss poor one, Spunkmeyer and Ferro are Dropship pilots, Deitrich is a Combat Medic, Hudson a Combat Technician, etc.,...

All I'm saying is that if possible, implement Marine Class system structure and so it plays cooperatively where a Marine Unit works together to survive. Other Marines can be substituted as AI controlled ones for testing or just solo-ing purposes. A squad is enough to still make it challenging. Of course I would think for massive Xenomorph infestations, something like a few Companies of Battalions of Marines are ideal but that makes it less about survival and more about destroying the Xenomorphs in combat.

Otherwise if it's just a Solo Player controlled throughout the whole game and possible to make it out alive means the combat should be kept fairly minimal and almost always at distances where the Xenomorph's Corrosive blood as well as pretty much everything at close distance would mean game over for the marine, realism-wise.

Something more tactical such as relying more on sealing doors and welding doors shut, setting up sentry unit really tactically, or even driving vehicles and/or setting up traps (or call for backup from other Marines) all just to conserve ammunition and avoid combat where it would be clear that the Xenomorphs would have Won in the first place had an engagement occurred (combat against them in any really tight cramped and confined locations).

Or at least try and design the maps somewhat like that at some point. Less of running and gunning frequently mowing down Alien after Alien. Require more strategic thinking, careful planning. If designed for 2 Marine Squads then it would be best, since that kind of emulate the Marine unit in the movie. Something like 8 Players 4 Marines per squad each having different attributes and skill sets. Remember in the beginning where they split up to "Search" and "Secure" the area? Yea kind of like that is what I meant.

I hope the AI for the Aliens are nothing short of being able to retreat and ambush unsuspecting players, as that would keep things interesting.
ObsessedWithMODs
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2012

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - Important question! (last

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm

ObsessedWithMODs wrote:
Deimos Anomaly wrote: I just finished all the new updates, upgrades, fixes and new areas on all levels of the (for now) first and only chapter. Now I just wondering if add the characters of Aliens (the marine teammates, Ripley, Newt...), for a pair of brief encounters with them or just leave it how is it.
Next step is a new and better weapons pack, based on the stuff seen in "Aliens Online".
Suggestions?


What about better Sentry Gun sprites? or a Shoulder Lamps? or Hand Welder game mechanics? I personally would love to have vehicles like Flying a Dropship and Driving an APC. Change the Flare color to be red or closer to the way it appeared in the film. Also if possible change the look of the flashlight to look like it did in the movie.

Anyways, well you did say this mod of yours is based on the Aliens film just that it's only from CPL Hicks' POV right? So in some way it's almost like Aliens TC all over again.

I mean if it's not LV-426 then the addition of Ripley and Newt really would be redundant. Otherwise I see no real problem if it is LV-426 as long as it's events that happened during the movie since the colony base really should have been totaled by that detonated Atmosphere Processor.

If their implementation is not too glitchy then why not? and better yet if it's entirely "optional", those that hate it can turn it off. Those that are open enough to try it are also given a chance to interact with other Marines, etc.

Remember what I said about "realism" between battles or combat between Marines and Xenomorphs?- It makes very little sense for a Lone Marine to mow down like so many Xenomorphs and make it out alive on his own at the end of the story or game.

Back in the early days of Mod making and earlier "Alien TCs" it's entirely understandable due to engine and various limitations. But now let's be realistic about it as much as possible, the Marines were meant to fight together as a Marine Squad unit. Marines were Not meant to be a One Man Army unless this is somehow a Terminator or something similar like some Overpowered Combat Cyborg fighting Xenomorphs (or maybe if he was Chuck Norris :mrgreen:), which obviously isn't the case here.

Just look at the Aliens movie again. You have different marines with different specialties and functions in their unit.

Vasquez and Drake and Smartgunners, Hicks and Apone are Squad Leaders, Gorman is the CO although quite a piss poor one, Spunkmeyer and Ferro are Dropship pilots, Deitrich is a Combat Medic, Hudson a Combat Technician, etc.,...

All I'm saying is that if possible, implement Marine Class system structure and so it plays cooperatively where a Marine Unit works together to survive. Other Marines can be substituted as AI controlled ones for testing or just solo-ing purposes. A squad is enough to still make it challenging. Of course I would think for massive Xenomorph infestations, something like a few Companies of Battalions of Marines are ideal but that makes it less about survival and more about destroying the Xenomorphs in combat.

Otherwise if it's just a Solo Player controlled throughout the whole game and possible to make it out alive means the combat should be kept fairly minimal and almost always at distances where the Xenomorph's Corrosive blood as well as pretty much everything at close distance would mean game over for the marine, realism-wise.

Something more tactical such as relying more on sealing doors and welding doors shut, setting up sentry unit really tactically, or even driving vehicles and/or setting up traps (or call for backup from other Marines) all just to conserve ammunition and avoid combat where it would be clear that the Xenomorphs would have Won in the first place had an engagement occurred (combat against them in any really tight cramped and confined locations).

Or at least try and design the maps somewhat like that at some point. Less of running and gunning frequently mowing down Alien after Alien. Require more strategic thinking, careful planning. If designed for 2 Marine Squads then it would be best, since that kind of emulate the Marine unit in the movie. Something like 8 Players 4 Marines per squad each having different attributes and skill sets. Remember in the beginning where they split up to "Search" and "Secure" the area? Yea kind of like that is what I meant.

I hope the AI for the Aliens are nothing short of being able to retreat and ambush unsuspecting players, as that would keep things interesting.


Thanks for your nice and long comment, always glad to read such suggestions! Let me reply point per point!

Well, i have planned to improve the Sentry Guns and a of course i will delete the flashlight in order to add the shoulder-lamp.
Although i have planned to reduce the number of battery amount of it, forcing the player to not just turn it on forever, but just use it wisely on very dark areas among the flares, which of course i will change the color into red, like the movie.

Fly a Dropship? Of course it's a good idea, although too complicated to me and for now i don't have any proper use for it on the first chapter.

Yes, the mod is based entirely on the movie, and you're playing as Cpl. Dwayne Hicks; and for sure it's like an "Aliens TC" although i never wanted to took such name because there's the original Justin Fisher work and mine is not a remake of it, i'm just respecting his name/work.

That's why i will add the other Aliens characters, because you're not some kind of Marine Terminator sent there to wipe out the entire Xenomorph infection :lol:
On the new weapon's pack i will decrease player's speed, increase Aliens melee attack (only one, maybe two hits and you're dead, like the movie), increase the damage factor of the acid blood to make it almost an instant mortal threat, and for sure increase the firepower of your arsenal to balance it a bit and have a good chance to gun down Aliens on a safe-distance before be surrounded and killed in one second.

If i achieve this, for sure i will increase the firepower of the Sentry Guns to make them more powerfull and effective against the mass of Aliens wandering the maps, but even now on the last (and current) version available, the Sentry Guns are so effective if they're placed on tactical spots; but i am sure not everyone find out such places, i know them so well because i did the maps and i know the crucial places where Aliens come in more numbers or where put them to secure an area with almost full effectiveness. So on a new version i'm thinking to add a PDA with some help functions, one of them being a text message telling you that's a good spot to place a Sentry Gun.
And maybe enable some doors to be sealed off and prevent further xenomorph waves to take you; with always a secondary way to you to go through the map. For my own luck i tend to connect all my maps with some different ways to go through the diferent areas, so won't be hard to do.

About the Marine Class system structure, i think it's a very nice and good idea; although i don't have a clue how to do such things and i guess that's something better if goes for a multiplayer mode, which is not my main goal for now though i have plans for it obviously!

Of course i won't turn this into a full survival horror. Combat action will prevail at all; although i will force the player to be much more tactical and less prone to just be involved in fight against Aliens all time. Avoid them, and secure your way and surrounding areas with Sentry Guns would be always the best thing to do, before get in fight and be outnumbered in a blink of an eye!
User avatar
Deimos Anomaly
 
Joined: 27 May 2010
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - Important question! (last

Postby ObsessedWithMODs » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Below are some of the early promo shots for GearBox's game although the Single Player and Co-Op is anything but close to what any of these screenshots represented.

Image

Image

I almost forgot to mention what about the Electronic Bypass Kit that Hudson had used? That could or would have been a proper replacement to the formula of constantly having to locate various keys scattered throughout the entire map though not necessarily completely omit it.

I particularly think that co-op as a marine squad makes lots of sense during those critical moments you are providing covering fire for your teammates or they are doing so all because you are trying to Weld or Cut open a Door, or trying to Hack the Door successfully with a Bypass kit. Obviously no single marine would be able to deal with an incoming group of Aliens if he's gonna be real busy trying to get a door open. His teammates need to watch his back and one of his teammates should have his Motion Tracker out and ready. Another could be busy setting up a Sentry Gun turret.

Like Vasquez said "What ever you're gonna do, DO IT FAST!!" I think it can add that feeling to the game, everybody's on alert, and defensive.

Btw, in GearBox's game, I recall we ended up "cutting" doors open way more frequently than "sealing" up doors with the Hand Welder, just like in AvP2, although I don't know if you have already experience either of those games yet.

Oh and as for welded shut doors, I would like to see a variety where some can be pounded and shredded through by Aliens eventually kind of like how in the movie when Vasquez sealed up the door before escaping to the airducts those Aliens eventually forced their way through it.

Although I know that the more of these misc mechanics and features ideas I would want to see the more complex and difficult it would be to execute especially when it is a one person project, but who knows you might surprise me :mrgreen:

I don't even know for certain how and if the ZDoom engine can handle even at least half of what I would like to see.

Another thing to mention would be interesting is the Personal Locator device that Hicks gave to Ripley.

Now I do not recalled ANY Aliens game ever had this implemented, maybe they did but I never really noticed it.

It could be something considered if it can be executed right.

Would be great for locating your lost or trapped teammates probably and cut them down if they are cocooned or something.
ObsessedWithMODs
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2012

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - Important question! (last

Postby ObsessedWithMODs » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Btw can the Motion Tracker be revised somehow later to be an item where if you have it out you can't attack until you switch back to a weapon? That was the way it was implemented in Aliens Online.

No HUD version of Motion Tracker is what I meant, if you are prefer or are going for realism. Unlike how it was in all of the AvP PC Games or Alien Trilogy or the Atari Jaguar AvP game as those were all "HUD-only" Motion Trackers.

The only real catch is how to make it work and work stable and consistently.

I've seen such in an older Mod called "Foxtrot Uniform" but it was horribly inconsistent and crashes very frequently :(
ObsessedWithMODs
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2012

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Deimos Anomaly wrote:ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES

Finally, and once for all; here's the final ACM update.
This is the last version with the "ACM" name.
After this, i am working on other projects like "Doom Metro", Terminator with Kontra Kommando user here...
And of course, i am already planning the continuation of "ACM", this time as a second parth with maybe a different name.
By far i can say it will have a completely reinterpretation of the LV-426 colony map and chapter, aswell a new chapter with his own history and a small coop
map pack.
But "ACM" as we know it, already reached his end.

And here's the link:

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/6a ... 305/15f9fd

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aliens-C ... 3078926944

CHANGELOG:
2014 Version
New features:
-New textures
-Aligned and fixed missing textures
-New areas on the first map (E1M1)
-New areas on the second map (E1M2) /extended gameplay
-New areas on the third map (E1M3) /extended gameplay
-New areas on the fourth map (E1M4)
-New grafics and decorations
-New music



Remember, is for UDOOM.
Enjoy it marine!
User avatar
Deimos Anomaly
 
Joined: 27 May 2010
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Are the flashlights finally fixed?
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:Are the flashlights finally fixed?


Far as i know this was solved on the last GZDoom version? Although sincerely, the flashlight will be the last thing you'll use here...
User avatar
Deimos Anomaly
 
Joined: 27 May 2010
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 pm

If it needs any more work, I'll be happy to contribute and repair it again, along with any other little things. I did it before, I can do it again. :)

EDIT: Just checked. Yep, still broken. I'll work on this tonight and post up my fixes for you.

EDIT Again: Here's what I submitted to Deimos Anomaly late last night. Until it gets officially approved, I figure I should share it with the public as well.
Last edited by Ed the Bat on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.
 
Joined: 03 May 2012
Location: Maryland, US

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am

Deimos Anomaly wrote:After this, i am working on other projects like "Doom Metro"
What's this? Does it happen to be a Doom version of Metro 2033/LastLight? Because if so, I've been thinking of doing something similar myself, and would like to hear more.

8-)
User avatar
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Discord: Caligari87#3089

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Kontra Kommando » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Can't wait to check out the final version of this masterpiece!
User avatar
Kontra Kommando
Weyland-Yutani Commando
 
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Location: LV-426

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Kontra Kommando wrote:Can't wait to check out the final version of this masterpiece!

I hope you'll enjoy it :)
User avatar
Deimos Anomaly
 
Joined: 27 May 2010
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Vlad the Impaler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:32 am

I just want to say, I love this. I remember playing this TC back in '06 when it was still a work in progress. Glad to see how it turned out.
User avatar
Vlad the Impaler
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2014

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Postby Naitguolf » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Amazing mod :-)

Due wetransfer link doest work, I uploaded it here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!QVRlBaAA!bXmfOBkBm ... jLMFNAx4q0

Regards
Naitguolf
Megadriver Custom
 
Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Location: London

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Linkfluence.com [Bot], Semrush [Bot], undeadmonk354, worldendDominator and 6 guests