Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Inglorious

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

Post by Inglorious »

I hope no one minds a bump but I just wanted to say that this is easily the best Alien fan project out there and compared to the rest of Alien and AVP FPS it should be definitely up there next to them as a definite must play. Just as good as AVP Classic 2000.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

It says that the download is gone.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Inglorious

Post by Inglorious »

Anyone have the music wad that uses the soundtrack from Aliens?

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/te9f7 ... ienmus.rar

Sorry for the bump.
livin _amuk

Post by livin _amuk »

Inglorious wrote:I just wanted to say that this is easily the best Alien fan project out there
Yep this is undoubtedly the best aliens fps I've ever played, probably the best mod I've ever played, and possibly the best art piece I've ever experienced. I spent 10 hours+ playing through these 4 levels, they're tough and they're dark. These days I rarely give a fuck about anything but this truely moved me, thanks for your hard work man.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello,

This is absolutely brilliant, with added darkdoom lighting it really creates an atmosphere of dread.

May we ask are there any sort of upscaled textures for this mod if any is available? It would look outstanding with the new ai upscaled textures which have released recently for other mods.

Thanks again.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Our attempt of upscaling the textures failed, we basically started with weapon sprites and basically the textures have all overscanned? Looks like the sprites have doubled in size onscreen?

Hopefully figure this out, but we have updated the Pulse Rifle to a much better sprite texture.

Also there seems to be a slight issue with the flashlight? The light appears to be flickering/blinking when active? The GZDoom flashlight 'F' works fine but the ingame item has a slight bug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are setting up a coop match which works fantastic.

Thanks again.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Just played single player and coop and after 10 mins of gamplay it absolutely lags like shit, my friend didn't even get 1FPS.

What's the problem with this game? Is it the new Zdoom update? Can anyone help us here?

Even set my friends PC to the lowest resolution 640x480 and set all graphics settings to the lowest and it still lags, 1FPS.

As soon as you kill 3 or 4 aliens that's it, the game breaks.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I had the same problem, I had to immediately stop playing because the included map was lagging extremely badly. I have a Quadcore CPU so surely it's not so far below others'. A new update in GZDoom breaking something, perhaps?
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

My mistake sorry
Last edited by Rex705 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Rex705 wrote:You guys should take a look at the date this mod was posted..... It's a forum no no to necro old threads for no reason.
Pretty sure their bumps are fine. They're very much on-topic, and actually serve a purpose.
This is an old mod it was not made with support for all the new fancy things GZDoom can do so you will need an older version of GZ to play. Next time check the date before posting :)
No. One of GZDoom's goals is backwards compatibility. Well-made mods have to do literally nothing to work right in newer versions of GZDoom. If a mod breaks like this in newer GZDoom versions, either the mod is badly made or it's a GZDoom bug - usually the former.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and thankyou for the replies.

Ok so we have spent a huge amount of time optimizing and implementing some addons, we have added some +Nointeraction flags on some sparks and raindrops but I believe its actually the rain causing the severe lag.

Still trying to find the rain script within the mod, but just finished the art work on Brutal Xeno Acid and also added smoke effects from the alien corpse. Looks awesome. Literally brutalized this mod.

Added a new Pulse Rifle with new animations and also a friend is Ai upscaling the mod which has over 3000 textures.

Added a motion tracker which works in coop and picks up all the modded units correctly.

We have spent a huge amount of time on this awesome mod, it cannot be left to die, we need to fix this mod, it works in coop which is amazing.

Removed handheld flashlight which was buggy and replaced with shoulder light, reduced player speed.

Increased Alien speed drastically and fixed the Ai clipping into the walls, they attack you from far away now, its absolutely insane but breaks after 10 mins.

May I ask if anyone has some spare time could you kindly download this mod and investigate the lag issue? Its beyond our capabilities I'm afraid, I wish I knew more about the engine to diagnose the issue. We need to find the rain script parameter strings.

Thanks again.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

I am glad that this TC still helds some attention after all this time :D
Since I am too busy with my new Aliens TC and had no time for other stuff I discontinued all support for ACM a long ago, but I hope ZDL_800 can make a good revisition and hopefully a good upgrade to this old TC of mine.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and thankyou for the reply.

Finished the Brutal Xeno blood, its fantastic, its not too much either but acid drips down the walls and I managed to create smoke from the Alien corpse, its gruesome.

I'm quite confident that the lag is actually the sky clouds rendering and not the rain, after you provided the strings for the rain, we managed to disable it, but it seems to make no difference, it still lags to a point where it completely breaks.

Any chance you can remember what the sky clouds are called in the decorate script? I'm sure we can disable it.

Thanks again.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

link seems expired or something

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”