Aliens: Colonial Marines TC - FINISHED

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Virtue

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines TC. Released!!!! (UPDATED!!!!)

Post by Virtue »

as for music, may i suggest my music wad which i posted in my TC topic? its music straight out of the film

http://www.sendspace.com/file/96lulu
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

I don't mean to nitpick here, but the flares are still counted separately. The player starts with 'flare' items, but the boxes of flares give four 'flarebox' items each, which act just like the 'flare' items but because of the different name they are counted separately. I think what was intended here was that the boxes give four 'flare' items instead. In any case, it's just a very minor detail so if you do plan on changing it, I won't mind if you wait until the next major update before including it.

One thing that bothers me is that you can't hurt the chestbursters while the sequence of them exiting the corpse is going on, I think it's because the actual chestburster doesn't spawn until the exiting animation is over. It's somewhat confusing and I waste more ammo than I should shooting at it because I sometimes shoot at it too early and miss thinking that the actual thing already spawned. Missing is not noticeable with the pulse rifle since it fires continuously and rapidly, but it is when using the shotgun. It would be nice if you can deal damage to the chestbursters while they are exiting the corpse.

Now for some suggestions, all chestburster related, wooooo:

Maybe you could give the option to kill chestbursters before they can attack by destroying corpses they're in at the expense of using more ammo, like corpses will take twice or more the damage than chestbursters can take before completely destroying them and any chestbursters inside each. Then you make it so that the chestbursters don't scream if you shoot them while they're still inside a corpse so that the player will have to expend all necessary ammo in destroying them otherwise it will be too easy.

Another thing is that, so far, I noticed that corpses with chestbursters in them are distinct from corpses that don't. I suggest that it become ambiguous so that there will be more suspense. This will also help balance the ability to destroy corpses and make the player exercise more judgement in using ammo in destroying corpses for extra security.

It would be even better if there's a random factor with chestbursters, like each corpse with a chestburster in them takes a random amount of time of the player being close to it before the chestburster pops out. You might even extend that and make it so that the corpses with chestbursters in them is randomized but this might slightly break gameplay balance. Of course, I only know little about zdoom modding so this may not even be possible to do.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Enjay wrote:...but there was one message (I forget exactly where or what) where the wrong word had been used making the message unintentionally comical.
Found it:
The satelite is alineated now and we have the signal!
I guess that "alineated" should be "aligned" but the spelling is odd and I originally read it as "alienated". ;)
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Okay, this is a really REALLY good mod and the culmination of 'Aliens Doom' that was started way back in 94'

Basically I loved it, though for some reason I kept running out of ammo. Maybe by reducing the player speed and xenomorph count, we could get even more bang for our buck?

Anyways awesome job, and I picture this as a platform for level designers to use as well!!!!
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Mike12 wrote:Holy crap, this is awesome! This has the most authentic Aliens feeling i've seen in a game for a good while :P.
Though, since you're basing it on the actual movie "Aliens", I suggest using some music from the Alien 3 SNES game, which actually used midi versions of songs from Aliens. The Alien Trilogy music still works really well for the most part, but a couple Alien 3 SNES Midi's would definitely give a very authentic feeling in a couple of maps.

Also, I have a Aliens-themed status bar I made a while back, if you want it (based on the look of the Aliens Online hud):
(Note that it only looks blurry because I took an openGL screenshot of it so everything could be seen as it appears ingame. If you want to use it, i can upload all the components.)
Thanks for your comment!!
I don't have intention to change the music, i love the Alien Trilogy music! So at the moment i want to keep this.
Your aliens status-bar looks really good, can you send me via PM?? :D
Enjay wrote:Could someone volunteer to look at the English in the mod?

Deimos' English is a damned sight better than my Spanish (which goes about as far as asking "how are you" and ordering two beers) but it is a weak point of the mod. Sometimes it just sounds a little clumsy but there was one message (I forget exactly where or what) where the wrong word had been used making the message unintentionally comical. Most of the time, however, it isn't awful but is it obvious that a non-native speaker wrote it. It would make the mod seem more professional if the English was tidied up a bit.

I'd usually volunteer for something like that myself but I'm really busy ATM so I wouldn't be able to allocate the time needed to do the job properly. So, anyone feel like it?
Thanks for your support and interest in ACM :D
Dr.Doctor send me a good translation of all my messages in english!
Ben2k9 wrote:as for music, may i suggest my music wad which i posted in my TC topic? its music straight out of the film

http://www.sendspace.com/file/96lulu
As i said, i don't have intention to change the music, but i'm downloading this. I'm opened to all suggestions, so i take a look ;)
VicRattlehead wrote:I don't mean to nitpick here, but the flares are still counted separately. The player starts with 'flare' items, but the boxes of flares give four 'flarebox' items each, which act just like the 'flare' items but because of the different name they are counted separately. I think what was intended here was that the boxes give four 'flare' items instead. In any case, it's just a very minor detail so if you do plan on changing it, I won't mind if you wait until the next major update before including it.

One thing that bothers me is that you can't hurt the chestbursters while the sequence of them exiting the corpse is going on, I think it's because the actual chestburster doesn't spawn until the exiting animation is over. It's somewhat confusing and I waste more ammo than I should shooting at it because I sometimes shoot at it too early and miss thinking that the actual thing already spawned. Missing is not noticeable with the pulse rifle since it fires continuously and rapidly, but it is when using the shotgun. It would be nice if you can deal damage to the chestbursters while they are exiting the corpse.

Now for some suggestions, all chestburster related, wooooo:

Maybe you could give the option to kill chestbursters before they can attack by destroying corpses they're in at the expense of using more ammo, like corpses will take twice or more the damage than chestbursters can take before completely destroying them and any chestbursters inside each. Then you make it so that the chestbursters don't scream if you shoot them while they're still inside a corpse so that the player will have to expend all necessary ammo in destroying them otherwise it will be too easy.

Another thing is that, so far, I noticed that corpses with chestbursters in them are distinct from corpses that don't. I suggest that it become ambiguous so that there will be more suspense. This will also help balance the ability to destroy corpses and make the player exercise more judgement in using ammo in destroying corpses for extra security.

It would be even better if there's a random factor with chestbursters, like each corpse with a chestburster in them takes a random amount of time of the player being close to it before the chestburster pops out. You might even extend that and make it so that the corpses with chestbursters in them is randomized but this might slightly break gameplay balance. Of course, I only know little about zdoom modding so this may not even be possible to do.
Very very interesting points!!
That suggestion to shoot and "kill" bodies to prevent the chestburster birth is really awesome and logical like destroy eggs to prevent the facehuggers. Yes, very true. Also diferent sprite bodies (and time to birth) is like you said, more intense and suspense.
The only problem is i'm not a modder, only a mapper... I can try to made some diferent bodies for the cocooned-body of the chest-burster, but this related to diferent birth time :? i can ask to Virtue or Dr.Doctor!!
ShadesMaster wrote:Okay, this is a really REALLY good mod and the culmination of 'Aliens Doom' that was started way back in 94'

Basically I loved it, though for some reason I kept running out of ammo. Maybe by reducing the player speed and xenomorph count, we could get even more bang for our buck?

Anyways awesome job, and I picture this as a platform for level designers to use as well!!!!
Hey thanks for your great feedback!
I know that maps are very hard (at least the first times). So, as i wrote in the "survival guide"; look everywhere for ammo supplies and remember your good friends the sentry guns!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:Could someone volunteer to look at the English in the mod?
Agreed, I spotted that as well. I would volunteer for this but considering that you Nigel actually fixed most of the english in UTNT yourself, I doubt that I am the right candidate for this :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It looks like Dr. Doctor has it covered anyway. :)

I realise that this is very vague and probably not very helpful but, late last night, on one of the maps, I tried something that looked like a door and got a "script not found" message. Unfortunately, because it was late and I was tired, I don't remember the script number, whereabouts in the map it is or even which map it was. However, somewhere in this mod there is a line that has a script execute special with an incorrect script number specified. Sorry for the lack of detail. :oops: However, given that there are only 4 maps, it should be a reasonably easy task to do a search for the appropriate line type (probably type 80?) in your editor and check the args for them on each map.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Deimos Anomaly wrote: Thanks for your comment!!
I don't have intention to change the music, i love the Alien Trilogy music! So at the moment i want to keep this.
I actually like the Alien Trilogy music a lot too, I just thought Alien 3 midis would work for some supplementary music, but it's cool either way.
And sure, I sent the rar with all the Status Bar stuff to your PM.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Found something here that appears to be a misplaced egg. I assume it's misplaced because the rest of the other eggs are in the floor just below it and also because this one is unusually sunken in the ground.

Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Enjay wrote:It looks like Dr. Doctor has it covered anyway. :)

I realise that this is very vague and probably not very helpful but, late last night, on one of the maps, I tried something that looked like a door and got a "script not found" message. Unfortunately, because it was late and I was tired, I don't remember the script number, whereabouts in the map it is or even which map it was. However, somewhere in this mod there is a line that has a script execute special with an incorrect script number specified. Sorry for the lack of detail. :oops: However, given that there are only 4 maps, it should be a reasonably easy task to do a search for the appropriate line type (probably type 80?) in your editor and check the args for them on each map.
I know what door you mean, located in the second level, near the red keycard door. Now is fixed in the last update loaded here!!
Mike12 wrote:
Deimos Anomaly wrote: Thanks for your comment!!
I actually like the Alien Trilogy music a lot too, I just thought Alien 3 midis would work for some supplementary music, but it's cool either way.
And sure, I sent the rar with all the Status Bar stuff to your PM.
Thank you so much dude :D
VicRattlehead wrote:Found something here that appears to be a misplaced egg. I assume it's misplaced because the rest of the other eggs are in the floor just below it and also because this one is unusually sunken in the ground.

Ops! Thanks again for another report, i go to fix this now!!
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

UPDATED!!!!
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

You know, I have a couple other suggestions:

Perhaps you should consider using Aliens: Online weapons for a couple of the weapons, since they're higher-res (Pulse Rifle and Flame Thrower, in particular).

And for the Alien Trilogy weapon sprites, you should have them re-handed since you're supposed to be playing as Hicks, but the hands holding the weapons are obviously female (Since you played Ripley in Alien Trilogy).
rico345

Post by rico345 »

It's very cool.
But why don't you put Reload key?

However, this mod is freakin' awesome :)
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

This is just the kind of game/mod i love! Great work!

Don't need to say how amazing and immersible (is this right? o.õ) it is!
And it's always very cool to have smart enemies as the aliens then the stupid old zombiemen! :D

Let me just say: That cyborg that replaces the shotgunguy became the 'zombieman-cyborg' when enter it's pain states. The sprites of this frame are probably using the same name. :)
Jitan

Post by Jitan »

This mod need multiplayer support. I try play this with my friend and suddenly it said no player 2 support

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”