The Adventures of Square - PROGRESS! New shots on pg.19!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lizardcommando

Re: [WIP] The Adventures of SQUARE

Post by lizardcommando »

The gun needs a bit of work which I can probably fix, but shading/lighting is not really my forte. The only thing I can really say is that there probably shouldn't be any lighting on the third (the nose should be fine and the gun could use a bit of lighting on it) fourth and fifth frames. seeing as how the lighting is on the right side of the Square's body, it shouldn't appear on the left side of his body. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I can give that a shot later today.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Okay. :) Better?

Just FYI, the gun is not meant to represent an actual in-game weapon - it's the kind of "generic gray weapon that looks vaguely like the weapon you're actually carrying if you scrunch your eyes up and gaze at it from a distance" that Doom and Duke3D both use. :P
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

That's better. :)

Although I'd wait for someone else with more art knowledge to help out with the lighting.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Personally I think forcing the perspective in the sprite for #2#8 frames is the wrong approach. Having the square be the same height all along it's width, but less wide with the features on the face suitably less wide would work better IMO. The lighting for the firing frame looks quite nice though, if perhaps a little bright on 5 frames.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Like-a thees?

...It's cheap but I think I like it this way. :lol:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

That's the sort of thing - maybe even shrink the width a little more to make it more of a 45 degree angle :) Looks more natural to me I think.
Jimmy

Re: [WIP] The Adventures of SQUARE (YOU decide the monsters!

Post by Jimmy »

Okay, here goes something radical. :o

Since The Adventures of Square will be a TC, it will feature new enemies, as mentioned before. However, as also mentioned before, the existing bestiary consists of terrible abominations which were conjured up by my overactive 15-year-old imagination. Therefore I'm opening up the conception of the new Adventures of Square bestiary to the whole forum!

The game is simple: Come up with an idea for monster that might fit the mod, and I'll make it! Consider which monster it would be likely to replace, what attacks it would have, and what it would look like (and also how easy it would be for me to sprite it, before you get too carried away :P). Of course, given the simple visual style of the TC, I can do just about anything.

Let's make this mod epic together, guys! :D

I'll give some existing monsters to get us started. These will likely stay in the mod, but if you guys can come up with anything better, then these ones might get replaced in the final version of the 4-map demo, and released as a "Director's Cut" AoS bestiary WAD. :P (And don't worry, you might get to see all the old monsters at some future point. :P)
Spoiler: Beware, madness lies within
All of these monsters are either of a geometrical appearance, or just the most cool-looking monsters in the existing bestiary. ;) If possible, let's keep the geometrical theme going, so for instance it'd be cool if things like "a floating triangle with a single eye that fires mind beams" were suggested. Just an example, that one, though I may actually do that. :lol:

Now, fire away, forum! :D
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

The Arch Vile should be replaced by this guy

:P
PFL

Post by PFL »

That is impossible but just for the fun of it... Gumb Vile
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The Punct: A gibbering, crawling mass of black-letter punctuation marks that spits periods and occasional ellipses (slower but last much longer) that crawl about and swarm you. If killed (though sometimes these guys also appear on their own), the Punct dissolves into a group of a random collection of dots, ellipses, and the following:

! - moves v. fast, hitscans, explodes on death.
? - random ranged attack, extremely erratic movement incl. teleports.
/ - moves v. fast, randomly unshootable, melee only.
"" - floats, vicious bite attack, shoots dot-like projectiles at you.
- - like the ellipsis but floats and has a lost soul charge.
* - teleports, hitscan, explodes on death.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Chickoteer - A chicken tank. To be specific, a chicken head on tank treads and a cannon for a forehead. Hard but slow, its projectile attack comes out fast, though the projectile itself, while damaging, is still slow enough to see coming. It can also chomp down on Square if he dares get too close. Replaces the Hell Knight.

Also, perhaps some kind of Wolfenstein SS replacement that replicates the Metal Slime from Dragon Quest, which is fast, durable, has a tendacy to teleport away forever, and drops a ton of ammo and perhaps even a powerup on death? :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Stuff out of Virus would probably fit if you fancy taking one (or more) of those - perhaps for a secret map or something :P
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Any self-respecting mod deserves some kind of fan art.

Mmmmm, wrapped carrot.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Wahahaha, that is brilliant. :lol:

I might actually use that for the TITLEPIC in place of the old one. :P

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”