[Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0e

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Beed28

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 2.4

Post by Beed28 »

Had such a wonderful blast going through gd.wad with this during this afternoon/evening, with my run being just about three hours of playtime. Nearly killed myself laughing when I accidentally unleashed the s***storm device in the elevator at the start of MAP12 (which is when the elevator first breaks down) and wrecked it. :D

The only problem was that MAP29 was somewhat screwy; one of the symptoms being the boss outright failing to spawn, as in, my monster counter had maxed out and typing "kill monsters" would do nothing more; in that map, you're supposed to kill said boss to end the level (luckily, I had the Yamato by this point, which I used to get to MAP30 and finish my journey).
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

That gun sprite is beautiful. You got really good at that. When you said you were thinking about picking this mod back up I hoped for 16:9 weapon fixes. This is even better.

There are a lot of weapons in here. Do you plan on redoing all of them? Seems like a monumental task. I'd be happy with just the minimum amount of weapons to be honest. I always prefer quality over quantity.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:That gun sprite is beautiful. You got really good at that. When you said you were thinking about picking this mod back up I hoped for 16:9 weapon fixes. This is even better.

There are a lot of weapons in here. Do you plan on redoing all of them? Seems like a monumental task. I'd be happy with just the minimum amount of weapons to be honest. I always prefer quality over quantity.
It's indeed too much of an undertaking. Not all of them will receive such treatment, but... Eh, no promises, as I don't want to disappoint anyone if I won't be able to in the end deliver it, but I am doing stuff, that's for sure. The only problem is to maintain motivation with the obscene amount of work I am putting on myself, and I really hate delivering half-baked products.

So yeah, big plans means usually big failures, but let's see how far I can go with this again without plunging my eyes out.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Best of luck to you on this, PillowBlaster!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

You now have bottles of we're believe in you. And i wish you a fine good luck!
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Dude.... You are a mod god. Failure is not even in your dictionary. I'm being 100% serious when I say you do not dissapoint. Your mods deliver.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Hmm... tried it out with Doom II the Way iD Did... something screwy was going on with the Dopefish secret boss in MAP32. It acted... crazy, often changing to its dying sprites while attacking with a hitscan weapon. It died in one hit, dropping a weapon and some ammo, but it didn't end the level, making it impossible to leave.

The other two Commander Keen enemies in MAP31 were working fine.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Honestly, I am not afraid to deliver. I am only afraid of not delivering in the end, if that makes sense. Not much feature-wise will change, as those will be mostly cosmetic/under the hood changes. Still, those changes will be huge in their own way, and require heckton of effort, and involves pretty much entirety of the mod, so that's gonna take some time.
Beed28 wrote:Hmm... tried it out with Doom II the Way iD Did... something screwy was going on with the Dopefish secret boss in MAP32. It acted... crazy, often changing to its dying sprites while attacking with a hitscan weapon. It died in one hit, dropping a weapon and some ammo, but it didn't end the level, making it impossible to leave.

The other two Commander Keen enemies in MAP31 were working fine.
Blame dehacked. That's the only thing that comes to my mind.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Oh! Looking through it now, the Wolfenstein SS is the only monster that this mod happens to replace. But now remembering about it, some map packs use DeHackEd to change the Wolfenstein SS enemy. That's probably why the Dopefish in Doom II the Way id Did was screwed up, as well as the boss in MAP29 of Going Down, since both of those custom enemies replaces the Wolfenstein SS through DeHackEd.

So yeah, if the Wolfenstein SS is replaced, it's going to break a few custom DeHackEd enemies if they modify the Wolfenstein SS. At least, make it an optional addon.

Pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

A lil' inside on what I've been fiddling with lately, as I am running out of motivation to keep going, as the scope of the planned refurbishments are quite large. Maybe not as impressive as one would hope, but it's still an effort to go through. The idea is to rewrite most of the things from scratch where applicable, retool or even replace the worst offenders in terms of weapons or features. I am looking at you, Tarpan - or you, Forkgod. Don't worry though, most will be left intact, behaviour-wise - as you can see with Forkgod in the video already. And perhaps if I'll still be sane after this all, fill in some gaps. Like, widescreen-support (haha good luck) or extra firing modes-kind of gaps.

How it's gonna go? Well, time will tell. So far it's incredible pain in the ass, even if I touch it only occasionally. If I won't be able to get this done in a reasonable timespan, I'll try to wrap up all I had done, squish bugs and release intermediary updates instead. See if Overkill is still in fashion and all.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

YES.

I'm also loving the sprite reworks, I could tell you put your drinking time and gun smithing effort into them.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ooh, these sprites look sexy!

Can't wait for the finished product! I've been looking for an excuse to pick up Russian Overkill once again... :D
Gabbuz85

Post by Gabbuz85 »

ehi pillow, what about this?

Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I must have low standards or something, but I always felt the spritework in v2.4 is perfect for its purpose, while the functionality of the mod is equally excellent and really stable from the users (my) perspective.

Still, I won't lie that those new sprites look quite impressive... althought to be honest, if its killing ya, then is it really worth it? If you added more guns, more characters, more items, more melee focused laserblade combat, all with the same codebase and artstyle as 2.4, no matter how messy it gets, it'd be totally ok.

I'm keeping RO as my default doom autoload preset, always ready for more playthroughs. Even after 20 playthroughs through multiple different 32 level megawads, it still hasn't gotten old. I appreciate it a lot. I'd feel really happy to see this mod grow even bigger, even if the quality stays the same.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The new sprites look bloody amazing!

Also, don't worry. RO will always be in fashion.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”