[WIP] Ballistics (Update 6/5/11 - Alpha 2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP] Ballistics (Update 6/5/11 - Alpha 2)

Post by Woolie Wool »

UPDATE 6/5/11
Download Alpha 2
Changelog since Alpha 1:
-New assault rifle with never-before-seen sprites
-New SMALLFONT
-Sound, animation, and behavior tweaks

Ballistics is a mod many of you have probably heard about, and seen on YouTube, a pseudo-tactical mod using gameplay mechanics not unlike those of WildWeasel's Diaz mod, but in a "man-made" setting with no demons or hellish influence. True to the mod's name, all of the weapons are ballistic firearms with a firing pin striking a cartridge--no rockets or energy weapons. Though none of your enemies have supernatural powers, they are far deadlier than Doom enemies. They are fast, accurate, and highly aggressive. Ballistics is a tricky, unforgiving, but very fun mod to play.

General synopsis: The year is 2084 and you are Malcolm Greely, a CIA secret agent sent to investigate the Union Aerospace Corporation. The richest business entity in the world, the UAC uses its power and prestige to effectively operate outside of any legal or ethical boundaries. Your orders are to look into the reports of illegal genetic engineering and weaponized biotech experiments being conducted by the UAC with the aim of creating an invincible army of mutant super-soldiers.

Features:
-Challenging tactical gameplay with reloading, melee attacks, recoil, grenades, and player classes
-12 all-new ballistic weapons, including pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, and a minigun
-Three player classes, including a bonus character whom you might find familiar
-Legions of merciless human, robotic, and mutant enemies
-Custom crosshairs matched to each weapon

Note that this is an alpha. Expect to find inconsistencies, unfinished elements, and bugs. Ballistics is not yet complete and likely will not be for some time. An incomplete strategy guide and credits list is available as ballisticslore.txt. Make sure to bind the reload and grenade keys.
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgraybr

Re: [WIP] Ballistics Alpha 1

Post by bgraybr »

Honestly, using hitscan attacks for everything can be annoying on regular maps and unbearable on wide, open ones without enough cover. Would you consider replacing them projectiles of some sort? Or, would you try reducing the view distance of some monsters so that I don't get sniped as often (can be done via A_LookEx in Decorate I believe)?

Besides that, the only thing that bugged me was that some of the gun graphics aren't widescreen compatible.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Which ones aren't? I can't think of any that get cut off. The Turcotte may look like it is cut off, but the stock is actually shaped like that.
bgraybr

Post by bgraybr »

Woolie Wool wrote:Which ones aren't? I can't think of any that get cut off. The Turcotte may look like it is cut off, but the stock is actually shaped like that.
That's the one I was talking about, my mistake. It does look a bit odd that way though.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Very nice work. I has great potential and will be very nice when it is finished. While I did find some errors, I won't point them out since this is an early beta. In the next one, I'll examine it more closely. Keep up the good work.
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Well this mod doesn't seem so bad so far.

One thing I am going to nitpick about though is the shotgun.
To me it feels like it's angled a tad too much and a bit too higher considering the crosshair.

I know it's an alpha but I was wondering if that's going to stay as is.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Loved Mutiny and Diaz, so I will be checking this out for sure when I get back into ZDoom.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Bugs/Issues:
Spoiler: Spoiler'd for TEXT BRICK
All that aside, it was still a blast to play. Felt a lot like Mutiny with reloads, right down to the shotgunners always losing their heads. :P
CommanderZ

Post by CommanderZ »

- The tanks that replace Mancubi are just stuck and ignore me (seen on MAP07)
- The sniper rifle scope says "2X", does that mean I can change the zoom level somehow?
- What is the difference between the two pistols (except the laser)?
- The Spectre and Demon replacements hate each other (see the Demon room on MAP08).
- Laser triggers shootable walls
- No Pain Elemental and Archvile replacement
- The grenades throw energy is way too little, it is completely impossible to throw them into elevated locations (even as little as the Mancubi platforms on MAP07)
- The Flamethrower guy which replaces Baron of Hell is way too fragile

Good luck with this project!
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

CommanderZ wrote:- The tanks that replace Mancubi are just stuck and ignore me (seen on MAP07)
Yeah, I saw that too, but I think the tanks are just taller than the fatties, so the ones on the platforms are stuck in the "ceiling".
- The sniper rifle scope says "2X", does that mean I can change the zoom level somehow?
I don't think so, but it'd be nice to be able to toggle between 1x (no scope), 2x, and 4x, for those REALLY big maps.
- What is the difference between the two pistols (except the laser)?
P50 has higher accuracy but more recoil. Shur-Fine Marauder is weaker and less accurate and sometimes "jams" into full-auto mode which also inflicts double damage. Stick to the Bragg or P50.
- The grenades throw energy is way too little, it is completely impossible to throw them into elevated locations (even as little as the Mancubi platforms on MAP07)
I haven't had much of a problem with it... Are you not using mouselook?
- The Flamethrower guy which replaces Baron of Hell is way too fragile
He only has 200 less hp (800 instead of 1000). I think that's fair considering he's more damaging.
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

The Pistol in the screen is so sexy.. ;)
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Shane »

From what I played, the gameplay was good. I think the kick's a little overpowered, I was able to get away with kicking most of my problems to death. Maybe reduce it to 45?

When you die, the death animation plays and then halts at the first animation of gibbing.

Also, the slide animation plays after kicking.
Last edited by Shane on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
marble

Post by marble »

One thing i'd like to point out is the lack of new sprites, i know they are hard to do, i can't make sprites myself, but it's nice to see some actually new guns once in a while.
anyways, i liked the menu.

now, for some crit:

some guns have gloves without fingers, like the enforcer, while some, like the pump shotty, have full gloves, also, the enforcer doesn't pull the slide when you equip it, yet the slide moves on it's own.
the blood shotgun has a brown glove. same with the assaul rifle.
the minigun has no raise animation.

that's all i have so far. i understand this is an alpha, but i'm mentioning these just in case.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

The Staplerfahrer Klaus reference made my day.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Heh, I just noticed a typo. The nametag for the combat knife is spelled "cobmat knife".

Return to “Gameplay Mods”