[WIP] 20 Years of Doom

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

[WIP] 20 Years of Doom

Postby DooMAD » Tue May 17, 2011 4:55 pm

The Concept

A map progression starting with vanilla style Doom maps, through limit-removing and Boom compatible, then onto modern styled maps that take advantage of all the abilities of source ports. Not only does this celebrate the evolution of editing over time, but also provides something for everyone to play, regardless of their taste in maps. Due to the technical requirements of the later maps, it will need GZDoom to run.

Who we're looking for

This isn't a community project that anyone can sign up to, but all applications will be considered by the team. Ideally we want experienced mappers who understand the fundamentals of gameplay and aesthetics and who aren't going to disappear half way through the project with an unfinished map.

The Plan

The final date for map submission is August 1, 2013, and the release date will be December 01, 2013. That gives us plenty of time for playtesting and bugfixing.

Mapping rules

● All maps must be Singleplayer and Coop compatible (If you would like to add a DM only section to your map, it would be great, but not required at all).
    ● Maps must be thoroughly playtested
    ● Maps need to be quite large, aiming for at least 20 minutes of gameplay.
    ● No new monsters or weapons.
    ● New music is allowed and encouraged (see below).
    ● New textures and flats are allowed (although the first few maps should be stock textures only).
    ● Every map be must possible from a pistol start.
    ● Any style or theme is allowed.
    ● Maps should support all skill levels.
    ● All maps need at least 10 secret areas.

Continuity

If possible, we're looking to have some theming continuity between levels, rather than just jumping to random locations that aren't related. A proposed idea is that once you finish your own map and the order is decided, you can then make a shared map between yourself and the next mapper working together, so the level starts with your theme and slowly changes to the theme of their map. Or if you prefer, just find out what their theme is and make the end of your level in the same style.

Music

We've been given permission to use some fantastic mp3 remixes of the classic Doom soundtrack in the project. This keeps things true to the original, whilst still giving it a modern twist.

Members with maps underway
    ● DooMAD
    ● Dutch Devil
    ● Exl
    ● Iori
    ● Logan MTM
    ● Mr. Rocket

Screenshots:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by DooMAD on Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DooMAD
Indeed.

Re: [WIP] 20 Years of Doom

Postby amv2k9 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Screenshots look awesome :D I'm especially digging the first, last, and second to last shots.
And its a neat theme for a megawad; sorta like Genetos, but for Doom.
Where did that hires version of the background in the titlescreen come from?
Last edited by amv2k9 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amv2k9
That Strife Guy

Postby Exl » Tue May 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Exl

Postby mancubus » Tue May 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Nice, but you may want in the latter 3d floors.
mancubus

Postby Xaser » Tue May 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Hmm, given the timeframe of the project, it's very plausible I may find the time to contribute something somewhere along the line. Given my current mapping streak, I'll probably feel most comfortable around the earlier "classic" sections.

Damn neat idea, at any rate. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby XutaWoo » Wed May 18, 2011 3:23 pm

What, no awkward phase where everyone is trying to get the hang of the modding tools and everthing looks like crap (even though somehow the gameplay is good)? :P
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby DooMAD » Thu May 26, 2011 12:15 pm

There's also screenshots for Dutch Devil's map here. Tinypic is screwy for me and the images don't show up, so I had no idea they were there until I quoted his post in the private dev forum.

If, like me, you can't see them images, here's the direct links:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2mw76h4.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/2eewtq1.png
DooMAD
Indeed.

Postby TheMistress » Thu May 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Screenshot 3 of the first post blinded my eyes with epicness x_x..
The lighting there is so nice :O
TheMistress
These cute eyes may be the last ones you'll ever see.

Postby Xim » Thu May 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Ooo think looks awesome. Too bad I can't map at all, but I'll try this out for sure. I actually like how there are no new weapons/enemies allowed because then I get to load up whatever gameplay mod I'm in the mood for to try it out. :P
Xim

Postby InsaneFury » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:34 am

Would the later levels also be allowed to *REQUIRE* mouselook and/or jumping, etc? i.e. gameplay abilities that were added in contrast to the vanilla capabilities?

If so, perhaps the vanilla style maps should place some impassable lines to prevent players from jumping across sections as ppl will be required to have jumping enabled.
InsaneFury

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:33 am

Awesome shots so far!
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Gothic » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
OMG this project is awesome, but GZDoom? :cry:
good luck :wink:
Gothic
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand ZScript.

Discord: #1462

Postby Phobus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:59 am

I had an idea for a similar project, which was partially inspired by my work on DTWiD and various other projects earlier in the year.

Or, in other words, I like the sound of this, and when I have a rough idea of where my life is going I imagine I'll be begging to sign up :P
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Postby PFL » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Awesome YES, but to not permit new weapons & monsters in this 20years of Doom doesn't give it justice. It is a huge part of Doom in the recent years, as much as new textures, music and everything else.
PFL

Postby TorrentialFire » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:20 pm

PFL wrote:Awesome YES, but to not permit new weapons & monsters in this 20years of Doom doesn't give it justice. It is a huge part of Doom in the recent years, as much as new textures, music and everything else.

I can see reasons to agree and disagree with PFL's statement. Seeing as this is a retrospective look at the history of the Doom video game, I think it would hardly fitting to ignore some aspects of the community just to make it easier to compile, or to have better continuity. ZPack, which my dad and I have been playing recently, features new monsters in many of its levels, and you can forget about continuity between levels. The gameplay is superb though (it goes without saying that this is my opinion, right?), despite the expanded beastiary and discontinuity.

EDIT: Then again, at what point do you draw the line, what with new decorations, new special effects, and a million other modifications that exist in the community? I'm not changing my opinion, but I can see where adding 'new' things becomes an issue. I would just find a 20th anniversary WAD with 20+ maps containing only the original ~17 monsters a bit bland.

Who in the community is in charge of the project? I assume DooMAD, but his post includes 'we' a lot without ever saying who 'they' are. Not that I'm questioning the leadership of such a great idea, just wondering.

I'd really like to come up with something for this project, I have some time in the next few months to kill. I don't plan on disappearing, but I'm starting my BA in Mechanical Engineering in the fall. Given the amount of college hours I have going in (AP Tests and Concurrent Enrollment in High School), I don't foresee having much difficulty my first semester, but it's a little hard to tell until I get there. Also, I guess my community involvement comes into question as well, I haven't released any maps as of now. However, Baronbecue is coming closer to completion. I view it as my first legitimate 'map.'

It would be interesting to tackle something vanilla style. :) I think in terms of details a lot, and it tends to extend the map-making process. It would be fun to take a step back and do a simple vanilla style map. Concerning the 'vanilla' style maps: Since the last partition of maps will be taking advantage of GZDoom and its glorious power, will the early maps be in UDMF with GZDoom source port specs, and just need to be 'vanilla' in terms of the style of mapping? What I mean by that: No slopes, no 3D floors, no excessive details, but uses specials defined in GZDoom (Hexen style) such as: Door Raise, elevator, etc.
TorrentialFire
One sector at a time...

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects