[WIP] Doom: Evil Unleashed -- announcement

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lysander

Re: [WIP] Doom: Evil Unleashed

Post by Lysander »

I am most certainly interested. As the author of one of the many failed beta projects, I would really like to see one of them stay the course and make it to the finish line.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

So in some mild news for the project i am now helping out with mapping. Its not screenshots but hey its news.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

What could this be, I wonder?
Spoiler:
;)
edgymemester

Post by edgymemester »

A flying imp.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

I think, it is worth to mentioning here. If this information is redundant, you can delete it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8QM71BV4AE2K0P.jpg
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SLON wrote:I think, it is worth to mentioning here. If this information is redundant, you can delete it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8QM71BV4AE2K0P.jpg
Redundant, not necessarily... but this thread was about 3 years abandoned. I'm not sure if this project is still in development.
Gez

Post by Gez »

wildweasel wrote:I'm not sure if this project is still in development.
It allegedly is.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Be patient lol. We actually resumed development of this after it being like 3 years in absolute development hell, where in all honesty, it was on the brink of being cancelled due to all of us lacking any motivation to work on it, and also Marnetmar's disappearance from the face of the planet for a couple of years.

The thing is, I myself have said "we will release a demo soon" so many times before (when no progress was being made at all), that I feel like I'm betraying people's trust and expectations on this, and I won't be repeating that anymore seeing how that's turned out in the past. That's why I decided that we will not talk about this until there's something tangible to show to everyone, and it's the actual reason why this has gone radio silent. Besides, we're only 4 people actively working on this, so progress will of course be slow considering this is something way more ambitious than what anyone of us ever expected. In fact, it's so ambitious, at one point we realized it's probably something an actual studio with a real budget should be working on and not us, but that's how it is lol.

Anyway, we're working through Discord, and any progress we make is being discussed over there between us four. And since we haven't had anything for people to sink their teeth in, I don't feel like there's been any need to post updates here. If anything, once we have something to show, it will probably be Doom EU "almost complete", rather than a small demo. And that will happen when it happens.

So yeah, TL;DR: DoomEU is not dead, just inevitably headed for a Mordeth nomination.

PS: Yes, we're aware of so much obscure Doom development trivia at this point, you have no idea. We probably know way more obscure stuff than what anyone has even discovered yet. And yes, we're aware of the extra development Tom Hall put into the Doom Bible's original manuscript (because did you know it was actually a manuscript?) even after Romero decided to archive it, so we naturally know that's one page of the original episode 2 part that Tom Hall submitted to a museum in Texas years ago. And yes, we're also aware that id Software keeps a copy of that "more complete" Doom Bible in their offices as well, which no one in the public has ever seen in its entirety.
SLON

Post by SLON »

In fact, I could help you with that, if of course you need someone who is not a cool mapper, but loves the style of the original and draw doom-style textures, and has been digging heavily on the theme of "pre-release" doom in recent years. And maybe even with some ideas (no, seriously. For by the way, I am also the one of leaders of the project outside the doom community, which is widely known in certain circles (and which also, ironically, collapsed into development hell, although not at all through my fault), so I know what I'm talking about).
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

The only additional help we're looking for right now is illustrators we can commission. Nothing else.
SLON

Post by SLON »

I know I'm just getting ahead of myself shamelessly, but did you plan (as such) a "commercial" episode that should complete the whole story? In addition, it is interesting what Tom meant by "ancient" demons. Was it supposed to be guys like Archvile?
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

All Doom 2 "new" monsters were originally planned to appear in Doom 1, but they didn't include them due to time constraints, so it's safe to assume the Archvile was just a high-tier demon for the first game as well. Never asked Tom what he meant with the "ancients", but my guess would be some kind of plot-related one-of bosses.

The reason I'm not bothering with that is because there's no plans (for now) to release anything besides episode 1, since that's what was mostly ever worked on even by id Software themselves. The scope of the project was (and still is) so ridiculously big, they noticed they'd have to scale it down greatly and that's why they spread all their originally-meant-for-episode-1 maps across 3 entire episodes (and even Doom 2 to a lesser degree, with one map ending there). Focusing on anything but completing episode 1 is what basically curses any project of this kind to never reach conclusion, and that's why I'm avoiding doing that.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

If you're looking for illustrators to commission things like key art, I highly recommend Substance20. He's even the guy who did the DoomGals mod.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the art style we're looking for (i.e. semi-realistic but still comic-esque).
hfc2x

Re: [WIP] Doom: Evil Unleashed -- announcement

Post by hfc2x »

Necrobumping (I'm sorry) for a special announcement in the first post. I'm going to try and answer questions people have in this thread, but I'll be monitoring the Doom World thread more closely.

Happy Doomsday, everyone.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”