[WIP] U-AVP: Ultimate Aliens vs. Predator (THE AIR DUCTS...)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

[WIP] U-AVP: Ultimate Aliens vs. Predator (THE AIR DUCTS...)

Postby Blade3327 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:01 pm

INTRO:
I've hinted at a semi-mini-TC in the works quite a few times in the off-topic section, so I figured it's time for this project to get an official thread. From now on, this will serve as the place where all work and misc. updates will be posted. Not sure if there are any THL members here, but I'm also regularly updating Alien and Predator fans over on The Hunter's Lair with details on the project. Without further ado, the meat and potatoes of this introductory post.

CONCEPT:
A semi-mini-TC consisting of three large film-based maps with the goal of bringing Alien and Predator back to Doom once again, putting an emphasis on keeping the original game's classic retro feel. "Aliens TC" has gone down in history as the first total conversion ever made, and this is even more impressive considering how successful it was for its time. Doomers like myself still enjoy the mod today, but with the new features and pushed-back limits of the latest engines, it's time the classic idea of the AVP TC got a reboot for the present. New monsters with DECORATE programming, real AVP 2 textures packing detail, AVP Ogg Vorbis soundtracks, a motion tracker HUD, objective-based gameplay, and new movie environments with the level of complexity now possible thanks to GZDoom. In essence, an Aliens vs. Predator makeover that retains its Doom roots while pumping up content to 2011, resulting in a completely new experience.

Modified sprites from the original "Aliens TC" are used for the weapons, as well as brand-new ones for the enemies. The Aliens were done with a quite-suitable Soul Harvester base and the Predators were done with a recolored Imp base. Powerups behave like those in Doom 2, but with an AVP theme (Marine helmet attachment for enhanced night vision, Predator gauntlet piece for partial invisibility, etc.) This mod is being developed for a non-vanilla port (more information in a later section) to ensure extra technical features in an environment that still fits into the game's IWAD -- Doom 2.

STORY:

(Part 1) - Fear Aboard the Freighter
Players assume the role of an outcast who, after claiming that Weyland-Yutani is using its employees as cannon-fodder in the process of acquiring bio-weapons, is assigned to work on a space freighter hauling cargo to one of the Company's terraformed planets known as LV-426. Within a number of weeks in space, the ship picks up on the beacon of a derelict craft located on the far side of the planetoid, giving it reason to wake the crew and autopilot them towards the signal's source to investigate. Upon breaching the atmosphere, the landing gear fails and the freighter plummets into the rock, knocking you unconscious. By the time you come to, you realize you're the only one that remains in a dark, powerless ship, crash-landed near a mysterious craft.
This map will be based on the Nostromo and the Derelict spacecraft.

(Part 2) - Search and Rescue
The Company executives are furious with your decisions regarding the freighter and charge you with everything they have a penalty for. They soon learn of the horrors of LV-426 and send out a USCM team to rescue any colonists that may have survived. You join the team as an expert on the indigenous life of the planetoid. For maximum coverage, the combat squad is dropped closer to the Alien hive, while you are left farther out to scour for more-useful equipment before rendezvousing with them. A massive horde of Xenomorphs is encountered -- as well as what may be an even deadlier threat to humanity.
This map will be based on the Hadley's Hope colony with a full hive.

(Part 3) - Wasteland Preserve
Once again, you are alone. You take control of the scraped-up Marine ship and escape the dark planetoid. This time, you do not bother to return to Gateway, knowing full-well the consequences of arriving by yourself in a vessel full of corpses and property damage. Instead, it is raised to your attention that a Company research vessel has been sent to one of the Weyland-Yutani "sweat-shop" moons, a wasteland used for lead-working. Fearing the worst after your recent endeavors, you fly over to the moon and begin your search for the truth. Within moments, you find out you are not the only one on the hunt... but neither are you the real prey.
This map will be based on the Fury 161 Leadworks with some semi-outdoor areas.

HUD:

Spoiler:

WEAPONS (Complete with movie quotes cheesily thrown in!):

Spoiler:

ENEMIES:

Spoiler:

SOUNDS:
The mod will feature sounds from the Aliens vs. Predator 2 game, based off the Alien and Predator films.

MUSIC:
The soundtrack to this mod will be that from the first Aliens vs. Predator game by Rebellion. Music may change in-level for boss battles and other situations that call for it.

TEXTURES:
The textures are from the Aliens vs. Predator 2 texture pack, which can be found on AfterGlow as well as R667.

PORT:
The port needed to run this mod is GZDoom, so the maps will take advantage of 3D flooring.

MISC. IMAGES AND SNEAK-PEEKS:
Spoiler:

ACTUAL SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

TO-DO LIST:
> Complete Alien Queen Sprites
> Program Alien Queen Sprites
> Complete Maps

DOWNLOADS:

Motion Tracker HUD-
SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a2e65v
zSHARE: http://www.zshare.net/download/994800828d0603e8/

Note- This status bar is NOT the final thing; my game will have 5 weapons instead of Doom's traditional 7 (I only added 7 in this download so it'll make sense within Doom's context). Pay no mind to the ammunition types on the far right, as those have yet to be programmed and they apply only to my game. All damage bugs have been fixed since the last version and this updated download is widescreen-compatible.
Lastly, this is purely a little demo since you guys have helped me a lot in figuring out where everything is located within SBARINFO and such, so please don't distribute it yourselves or use it in your own mods just yet. With that said, enjoy!
Last edited by Blade3327 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 am, edited 14 times in total.
Blade3327
is squealing like a little girl in the colony medlab.

Re: [WIP] U-AVP: Ultimate Aliens vs. Predator (GZDoom Mini-T

Postby SamVision » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 pm

This looks cool. BTW I have some better pulse rifle sprites for you. PM me if want.
SamVision

Postby el zee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:11 am

This looks awesome!
el zee
Indefatigable

Postby Cyanosis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:52 am

Wow, clever use of the Korax sprites for the queen!
Cyanosis

Postby Blade3327 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks all! A little update on things, MAP01 is being extended to feature the Derelict spacecraft (the Space Jockey ship) as well as the Nostromo. This makes for some nicer objective ideas and gameplay, which, together with the music I have lined up, looks good. Also making a few changes to the Nostromo dining room area -- not going for full accuracy, but for a little more than it originally was (plus it'll be better suited for combat). Pics soon!

@SamVision: PM sent.

@Cyanosis: Wasn't sure I'd find a suitable base, then I remembered Korax had like six arms :P. Cut one pair of them off and there you have it. The front angle sprites are a pain to do, but it's moving along.
Blade3327

Postby Xim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 am

This looks really awesome. I can't wait to play this.
Xim

Postby GuildNavigator » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:19 am

The definition of the levels and the wise usage of textures will make this very enjoyable!

Can't wait to play this, really! :)
GuildNavigator

Postby Enjay » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:35 am

This is looking really good and I love the alien queen sprite.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Good job dude. The sprites are super great actually, must say the Queen is EPIC.

Buut the map looks like it could use some spicing up. Your biggest issue is the lighting right now. It's just 0% atmospheric right now. I'd suggest keeping the maps pretty dark and spice up the areas with dynamic lights. Then some of your architecture is a little square, and especially the texture choices are a little meh. Especially the busy roof flats you've used. like oh my god does it hurt the eyes. (hard to explain which one but the one with a lot going on :P) you should also especially vary your ceiling height a lot more.

anyway, despite the small mapping flaws this looks like a very great project, you've worked hard on this. Hope you continue with the same ambition.
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!

Postby Jimmy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Wowzers. :D
Jimmy

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Blade3327 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 pm

LOTS OF PICS FOLLOW!

Thanks for the comments guys, and I totally understand what you mean, Icy. The hallways will be kept the same (and all linear-ish areas like that), purely because the structure of the walls and such was formulaic in the movie. Not sure if you were referring to the dining room, but here are some updated shots of it, after I gave it a makeover yesterday.

Don't know how dark your monitors may be (game is playable for me with its current darkness), but here is the actual darkness setting in-game when you first start out (a secondary objective in this level will be to find the terminal room and boot up emergency systems, which will then boost brightness a little bit more than shown).
It's recommended that this is played with the OpenGL 'Dark' or 'Doom' lighting mode.

Here is the same picture (in fact a group of pics) temporarily played in a brighter OpenGL mode just to show more of the map...

Also added lights to the storage room...

And an example of the new pain system for the status bar (not the best pic to illustrate it, but the blob starts out as a blur, then becomes clearer -- 3 frame pain animation)...
Blade3327

Postby Cyanosis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 pm

The HUD's lightest shade of blue sticks out too much as an eyesore (especially against the dark backgrounds), perhaps it could be darkened more.
Cyanosis

Postby Kate » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 pm

I'd have to kind of agree, there needs to be a bit more shading around the center top area of the status bar where the rangefinder pokes above the rest of the bar, so it doesn't look like antialias gone horribly wrong.
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby CeeJay » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 am

Another Aliens project! Looks great and I can't wait, though I would recomend to use a new set of HUD weapons. For example as great as the original Aliens TC was back in the day, that pulse rifle just doesn't look much like the one in the movie and isn't very pretty in my opinion. There are two other Aliens projects currently in the works so resources shouldn't be a problem.
CeeJay

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 am

A map that you probably could learn from that has a pretty good creepy atmosphere for being a techbase is the map "S5COOP02" from SpaceDM5. The Jetsons Halloween Surprise :P

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15981

run it with skulltag and just type "map S5COOP02" in the console. Its a sort of "Ghouls forest" in a techbase, only with a little bit of humor.
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects