Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

Postby Colerx » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:36 am

nice! Now I can't try it due the savegame, but is the door opening for the first time from inside? First access to the market is still trough sewers right?
Colerx

Postby Ichor » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 am

Colerx wrote:nice! Now I can't try it due the savegame, but is the door opening for the first time from inside? First access to the market is still trough sewers right?

It's just another way out of the sewers and a quick way back into the black market once you get there for the first time so you won't have to go all the way around again. You know that passage that was blocked with rocks in the black market? Well, that's been cleared and now it goes back up to the surface.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Colerx » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 am

Yes I've seen that blocked passage, yes I meant it's good that is walkable after you unlock it from inside, first time is nice to discover it tough sewers secret passage, and then you can easily go back in it trough the passage you now cleared. :)
Colerx

Postby Colerx » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:05 pm

good teamwork here hehe https://i.ibb.co/7tdgLg6/Screenshot-Hexen-20210414-232537.png

The "face" switch on the opposite side with the spinning walls should be activated the same way? I'm sure we have hitted it many times but nothing happened

Very cool hub this one, we love it!
Colerx

Postby Ichor » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 pm

The opposite side, as in the ice section?
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Colerx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:05 am

No I mean in the same room, on opposite side of the fire missile puzzle: here https://i.ibb.co/Rb9mfyd/Screenshot-Hex ... 130250.png
Colerx

Postby Ichor » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:19 am

Oh that one. That's a secret switch.

Spoiler:
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Colerx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:35 am

Oh, damn
Spoiler:

Thanks!

EDIT:

We just finished Hub3! 8 hours just for it, many details are just outstanding, a masterwork!
Colerx

Postby Indorile » Sun May 09, 2021 11:18 am

Is there a way to resize the enemy health bars? They were of great size in ch2, but now with ch3 they are humongous.
Indorile

Postby Ichor » Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Indorile wrote:Is there a way to resize the enemy health bars? They were of great size in ch2, but now with ch3 they are humongous.

Not right now, but I'll see if I can add some kind of scaling option for that.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Ichor » Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 am

And here you go.

Update time:
  • There is now an option to scale the enemy health bars, which is located at the bottom of the main Options menu. However, since the ACS in the .pk3 was changed, it will clobber your saved games.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Ichor » Sun May 30, 2021 5:53 am

After a bit of testing, I discovered that the health bars were now interrupting certain texts, so I made a slight change to fix that. Also, there shouldn't be any lag anymore when using the powered up alt-fire of the serpent staff.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Ichor » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:27 pm

I just came across a game crashing bug by pure chance, mostly because the situation that caused it to crash doesn't come up very often. Fortunately, it was easy to fix.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby brick » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:55 pm

I just finished playing through the Carnage Galore trilogy and thought I should post my impressions and congratulate you on releasing a fantastic wad. I liked CG1 despite it feeling a bit rough and unpolished in parts, but it had some really neat ideas (not all of them worked as I was playing with GZDoom and I didn't know how to translate some of the HHE hacks) and some fun levels. I thought CG2 was better, with more consistent quality, some really cool level design, some clever puzzles, and overall I really loved this one.

CG3 though was on a whole other level. The level design is really fantastic and almost perfectly balances fighting and puzzle-solving. I loved the first 2 hubs and thought they look and play great, but the third one is jaw-dropping in sheer size and aesthetics (and took me longer than the others combined!). Speaking of puzzles, I almost never found myself with no idea what I'm supposed to do or what my actions have opened or changed (though I did get stuck - more on this in a minute), as the messages you give (as well as the hints in the books) do a fantastic job of leading you where you need to be, not to mention the features of the level design itself stand out in a way that subtly directs you to your destination (the original hexen.wad levels are a lot like this too IMO).

The new weapons and the alternate fire are a lot of fun, though I do feel (at least as a Fighter) that many of the modes are redundant; Heretic avoided this problem by having so many ammo types that you'd have to switch to conserve or if you ran out. That said, I will forever be grateful for the Quietus changes; having both modes work like this is something that I have wistfully dreamed of since some time in late 1995, and so I used the new Quietus as much as possible and loved every second of it. The "secret boss" and the weapon you get there were quite a surprise, and I didn't even realize the Treasury was an optional level, so when I got to the end of the hub I went back wondering if there's a use for the big gem and I had missed something! After shrugging and moving on, I was delighted when I came across the book explaining what could be done with it. Oddly I never found the Vorpal Sword (did I miss something, or was it taken out again?)

I only had 2 real frustrations in hub 3, and neither was really the wad's fault. First was in the Great Library. I found all 5 books then got completely stuck, as I could not find where to use them and at one point started painstakingly trying every single bookcase. Infuriatingly, I had tried the right one first, but I guess at a wrong angle and simply got no effect. It's not a flaw with the wad (I was more mad at myself than anything) but I think adding a small hint right in front of it that mentions the books having gone missing/stolen (and maybe even removing the bookcase across from it) might be a nice frustration prevention (keep in mind that, in the original game, some of the books are already in place and the letters really make the bookcase stand out). The other problem is that the wad needs one specific compatibility option - compat_useblocking (all special lines can block use) must be off. I always have compat set to Default when playing user wads, including for this one, and let the wads set what they want. But when I got to Forge controls I was completely stuck and spent a long time trying to find how to turn the controls on, before finally thinking of checking the compat menu and finding, to my amazement, that this flag was now set to on despite still being in Default mode. Again not the wad's fault, but having it either force the setting to off, or simply including a warning in the readme, might prevent someone else from running into the same problem.

Overall this is a superb wad, thank you for such a wonderful creation. I think this might well be my favourite Hexen wad, and I'm almost tempted to say that I like it as much as the official releases; and I say this with Hexen being one of my favourite games too. I'm delighted to see recent posts that indicate you're still working on it. I won't say that I look forward to the next hub, as I can't even imagine how much time and work goes into making maps with this kind of loving attention and detail, but I will most certainly be playing the next hub, whenever that may be. I even backed up my saves just in case! :mrgreen:
brick

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Ichor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:27 pm

CG1 being rough and unpolished is an understatement. It was my first attempt at a map series way back in 1997. Back then, I knew almost nothing about making maps. CG2 is definitely better, but still has problems, mostly with progression. Then came CG3. At first, it was as vanilla as the other two, except for a dehacked type program called Hex, which worked well with Hexen 1.0, but not with 1.1. Later on I moved on to JHexen (Doomsday), where I could change the code to more or less whatever I wanted, but there were still some limitations. Finally, I moved to GZDoom and most, if not all of those limitations went away.

Now as for those issues you found, I've just made a few changes to fix those. First, that bookshelf should now stand out more. And as for the shooter controls in the Forge, the problem was the scrolling line right before it, which would, of course, block your use of the switches. I moved those out a bit so that shouldn't happen anymore. I think that was the only place where that happened, since the Forge is the only map where I used scrolling lines like that.

And as for the Vorpal Blade:
Spoiler:
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects