Brutal Doom is a mod for Zandronum and GZDoom that attempts to make Doom faster paced, harder, and much, much, a thousand times gorier and more violent. It's made to work with any IWAD, and any megawad or maps that doesn't contains custom weapons or monsters.
- Tons of new Death animations for all enemies. You can cut their limbs, cut them in half with chainsaw or minigun, melt them with plasma, Everything can be gibbed, there are even Xdeath states for large enemies like Barons and Mancubus, and much more. You can also shoot their dead bodies, or severed limbs, and keep brutalizing them even after their deaths. You can also use the quick-kick ability to kick their severed heads and limbs away and play bloody soccer.
- Possibility of headshoots for most enemies. You can do extra damage shooting at their heads with small firearms like the Rifle, or completely blow-up their heads with a higher firepower weapon such a shotgun or minigun.
- Flares for decoration and projectiles. You will fell like you were playing in the Doomsday Engine.
- 3D bloodspots for OpenGL users that can paint the ground and ceiling with the blood of your enemies.
- You can RIP AND TEAR an enemy if you kill him with punches while under effect of a berserk. (Also knows as Fatalities)
- If you shot an enemy so close, blood will splash on the screen.
- You can paint the chainsaw with blood.
A new balance of weapons and gameplay
All weapons and enemies gained a new balance. There are no more weapons that gets obsolete after you find new ones like in Vanila Doom. (Fists that gets outclassed by Chainsaw, Pistol that gets outclassed by the Chaingun, or Shotgun that gets outclassed by the SSG). Also, there are no more low-threat enemies. Gameplay is much harder and faster. In a short resume: You have more powerful weapons that can kill enemies twice as fast, but enemies have more powerful attacks and can kill you twice as fast too, creating the "Brutal Gameplay".
Here you can see a detailed list of what changes in the gameplay:
Bloodier and Gorier! Gibs! Gibs everywhere! You can paint the walls, floor, and ceiling with blood.
Your head asplode! Almost every enemy (exept Cacodemon, Lost Soul, Demon, and Pain Elemental) have new hitboxes for their heads. You can perform headshots to deal more damage, and cause more brutal and bloody deaths. Shoot at heads to explode them, and see brains, teeth, eyes, and blood flying all over the place.
Amazing effects! Particles, flares, and even shadows! You will fell like you were playing in the Doomsday engine.
RIP AND TEAR!. After you find a Berserk pack, killing enemies with a punch will perform 3rd person executions just like in the Doom Comics. By doing such executions, you gain bonus health as a reward.
Makes blood and most gore pieces lasts for 25 seconds, and disappear after that. Greatly increases performance. obligatory add-on for multiplayer games.
When you are in the "Danger" state, with health bellow 30, it makes health regenerate by 1 per second until you get with 30 health. Some people suggested me to add this as a main feature, but I preferred to make it as a separated module.
http://www.4shared.com/file/QH2oEgPF/Br ... ation.html
A compilation of many Doom and Doom 2 music remixes that really sets the tone of this mod.
For years, many people requested the pistol to be avaliable on Brutal Doom. But, in order to dont break the balance of weapons, I decided to make the pistol a separated weapon. This attachment will replace the Assault Rifle by a pistol, and will make zombies drop clips instead rifles.
At the 0.16 development, I have planned to replace some gib sprites to be made of real pictures of actual dead people. This caused a lot of controversy, and many people stated that it is "crossing the line" even for a violence mod.
Plus some people said that the high resolution sprites of pieces of smashed brains doesn't looks good with doom's pixelated sprites. Also, I noticed that it can cause some lag if these sprites are spawned in high volumedue the resolution of the sprites. So, I decided to make it a separated module.
Screen Effects and Cracks Removal
Removes all screen cracks and driping blood that usually spawns in the Marine's visor. Most people (including me) likes these effects a lot, but some people dont, and with this add-on, they can improve their personal Brutal Doom experience.
Spoiler: Older Changelogs
Before playing, you MUST BE SURE of:
1 - Please, use Open GL mode to properly show the new special effects and taste the full Brutal Doom experience.
2 - In the Open GL settings, set your Adjust Sprite Clipping to Always (Prevents things from getting half in the ground)
3 - In your display options, make sure your deathcam is on! (So you can see the amazing new player deaths)
4 - Read the guide that comes in the readme text.
- If the 3D bloodpools aren't showing up, even if you are using Open_GL, open your console and type "gl_use_models 1"
- If the bloodpools are rendering in a weird way, in the Open GL settings, set the Smooth Sprite Edges to Off
- If your framerate is low, type "gl_use_models 0" to hide the bloodpool 3D models. This helps a lot on old computers.