[ON HOLD] Pokémon DOOM: Titanium

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JimmyJ

Re: (WIP) Pokémon DOOM: Titanium

Post by JimmyJ »

before putting up an alpha
Oh god, I can't wait! :D
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I had this idea but I wouldn't even DARE try to start making it. So many variables and systems and.... Wow. Color me impressed if you pull it off! :)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

I've posted up a rough list of things that have currently been done and I need to do, to allow everyone to keep track of how the project is going. I also have a twitter in my profile page and can also be found on #zdoom as usual, for the more active form of updates.

I've last finished the powerups, so Safeguard and the Flashlight now properly work (you can click the flashlight on and off rather than it always being on for a set time and it has a battery which is maintained across levels). They display the time that remains for them on the hud when used.

After a quick discussion, I realize that PvP will not be possible (see the note in the first post for details on that). So I think I'm just going to scratch that and aim for cooperative support since that's working pretty well as-is. When/if Skulltag updates to a ZDoom version compatible with Titanium, I'll probably enable it to work properly.
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

You can't be a PokeDoom master if you can't defeat all the other trainers! :(

I'm totally hoping for a 151 capturable monsters. You've already done an impressive amount of work as it is, can't help but feel that it won't get noticed very much due it how gimmicky it is. It looks pretty awesome tho.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

It won't get noticed because it's a gimmick?

I beg to differ. :P
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Xenaero wrote:151 capturable monsters
It depends on a lot of factors.

I've somewhat modularized the system so that monsters can be added by loading extra wads with an ACS script to insert them into the database - this is the basis of game support, so you'll be able to load multiple games' monsters into the pokédex at once and have access to them in the game if you spawn them manually in the console (right now the monster spawning into the level is being handled in the add-on but I guess a more generalized system wouldn't hurt if I can find a reliable replacement method for figuring out which monsters are more appropriate to spawn in what sort of situations). However they'll require behaviors and, more importantly, resources, and I'm not quite sure if anyone is going to be very interested in filling in such a huge range.

Doom has like 18 total or so I think. So you can kind of understand how finding 100+ semi-similar-themed monsters can wind up being a problem (unless you do something completely over-the-top insane of course).

EDIT: While I'm posting here, I may as well ask something of everyone... Should I release as-is (Take a look at the To-Do list in the first post to get an idea of what you're diving into), or stick to the release schedule and finish up what there is to finish first?
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Well it's at least playable at this point - I'm going to go ahead and say you should release now. Feedback could prove valuble while you're still developing. :)
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

I say release it now, and get feedback while you work on the other stuff, and by the time you get that other stuff done, the mod will be that much better.

It's a shame that there's a bunch of features that I wouldn't get to use from the get-go, but for some reason when a game/mod gets released as alpha and is followed by updates that add features and fixes as development goes along, it's more interesting and holds my attention longer than if it was released all at once and polished off. Maybe it's just fun to see something grow and improve over time.

That, and, I'm itching to try this out, buggy or not. :P
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

From what I see on the todo list it looks like you got it to a playable state minus evolutions, so it would be a good idea to release it now and fix bugs/add stuff as you go.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Well, to be honest, I prefer for evolutions to get ironed out first (since they're the closest thing to learning moves from what I understand), but hey, if everyone else wants it, go ahead and release it.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I would say hold it off until evolutions and TMs are in before releasing it. They're central to the actual pokemon games, especially evolution, so it won't feel anywhere near complete without them.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Release it when you think it's done enough, whenever that may be.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Hehe, I love the expression "done enough", for some odd reason. :P But I can relate to it: I don't always get everything right before I release something (mainly due to knowledge constraints when it comes to bugfixing), so it goes out in a "yeah, it's done enough" state. :lol:
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Xaser wrote:Release it when you think it's done enough, whenever that may be.
THANKS A LOT FOR HELPING SETTLE THIS MATTER BUDDHA/OPTIMUS PRIME
Xim

Post by Xim »

I'm a patient guy. Finish it up before a release. ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”