HacX 1.2

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: HacX 1.2

Post by Matt »

"Glass bleeds" sounds like a really messed up effect in a ghost movie D:
dennisjj4

Post by dennisjj4 »

I had ran into the "Glass bleeds" bug, too. Glass is also flagged as a monster--looks like a matter of clearing COUNTKILLS and adding the NOBLOOD flags.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Might as well remove MONSTER as well. I'm sure all of this will be taken into consideration when it outgrows DeHackEd.
Karl Murks

Post by Karl Murks »

So, can anyone please tell me what the point of this release was?

None of the bugs I was aware of got fixed, including unreachable secrets, monster counting problems etc.

Instead it only got more:

- the player's view height makes this feel really awkward. Why is it set to the player's actual height. That's just as idiotic as putting the 'eyes' in the chest, just that instead of 8 units too low it's 8 units too high.
- The DMan no longer counts as monster - presumably because some smartass thought that emulating Doom.exe bugs is a good thing. Fail!

The only good thing I see are the new puffs for the shotgun replacements but aside from that I see absolutely nothing that might warrant an upgrade from the 1.1 PWAD version.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Karl Murks wrote:- the player's view height makes this feel really awkward. Why is it set to the player's actual height. That's just as idiotic as putting the 'eyes' in the chest, just that instead of 8 units too low it's 8 units too high.
You must have an old version. The view height was restored for the idgames release. Also the adjusted view height was not the same height as the player (well OK technically it was probably the same as the bounding box) as the sprite is much larger (and proportional to all the other things in Hacx). In other words, instead of chest vision, Hacx had crotch vision.
Karl Murks wrote:- The DMan no longer counts as monster - presumably because some smartass thought that emulating Doom.exe bugs is a good thing. Fail!
Actually it would be emulating hacx.deh.
Karl Murks wrote:The only good thing I see are the new puffs for the shotgun replacements but aside from that I see absolutely nothing that might warrant an upgrade from the 1.1 PWAD version.
The co-op bugs are fixed.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Karl Murks wrote:So, can anyone please tell me what the point of this release was?
The point was just to piss you off, good catch!

Seriously, is it worth escalating your blood pressure over?
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Karl Murks wrote:So, can anyone please tell me what the point of this release was?

None of the bugs I was aware of got fixed, including unreachable secrets, monster counting problems etc.

Instead it only got more:

- the player's view height makes this feel really awkward. Why is it set to the player's actual height. That's just as idiotic as putting the 'eyes' in the chest, just that instead of 8 units too low it's 8 units too high.
- The DMan no longer counts as monster - presumably because some smartass thought that emulating Doom.exe bugs is a good thing. Fail!

The only good thing I see are the new puffs for the shotgun replacements but aside from that I see absolutely nothing that might warrant an upgrade from the 1.1 PWAD version.
Be less belligerent, and people may pay more attention to you. I for one see the value of this release and thank everyone for working on it.

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized, people are paying attention to you even when you are belligerent. Well, whatever works.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Blzut3 wrote:
Karl Murks wrote:- the player's view height makes this feel really awkward. Why is it set to the player's actual height. That's just as idiotic as putting the 'eyes' in the chest, just that instead of 8 units too low it's 8 units too high.
You must have an old version. The view height was restored for the idgames release. Also the adjusted view height was not the same height as the player (well OK technically it was probably the same as the bounding box) as the sprite is much larger (and proportional to all the other things in Hacx). In other words, instead of chest vision, Hacx had crotch vision.
Related to the sprite that must have been correct but it really looked a bit weird that all the doorways seemed too small for the player to pass through.
Karl Murks wrote:- The DMan no longer counts as monster - presumably because some smartass thought that emulating Doom.exe bugs is a good thing. Fail!
Actually it would be emulating hacx.deh.
In ZDoom? The D-Man was originally the Lost Soul which, as we all know does not count as monster in Doom2.exe. Shouldn't the same logic apply here, too? I don't really like when there's monsters running around that are not counted and obviously I'm not the only one to think so... ;)

After playing through all of it I'd say that it's good work overall but the fact that there were things like unreachable secrets in a few places (most notably MAP14) was a bit disappointing. For such a release I would have expected to have at least such obvious problems fixed.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The unreachable secrets issue has never come up before now. Any specific examples aside from Map14?

The Lost Soul thing is a lose/lose situation when just using DEHACKED, since you have to choose between having Lost Souls / D-Men not count as kills or having the kill percentage thrown off any time a Pain Elemental / Majong 7 is used. This is fixable in DECORATE, but it would create a port inconsistency since only ZDoom would have the fix (not that the new puffs aren't, but that's cosmetic). Not that it'd bother me to fix it properly, though. ;)
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Xaser wrote:The Lost Soul thing is a lose/lose situation when just using DEHACKED, since you have to choose between having Lost Souls / D-Men not count as kills or having the kill percentage thrown off any time a Pain Elemental / Majong 7 is used. This is fixable in DECORATE, but it would create a port inconsistency since only ZDoom would have the fix (not that the new puffs aren't, but that's cosmetic). Not that it'd bother me to fix it properly, though. ;)
To be fair, I always thought the Majong was an unfinished enemy. This explains why it doesn't use new sounds and new code (except it doesn't fly). It'd be really nice if it could have a completely new attack. It doesn't even look like a D-Man spitter
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xaser wrote:The unreachable secrets issue has never come up before now. Any specific examples aside from Map14?
I just verified my game statistics and it looks like the pillar in MAP14 is the only one that's not reachable.
Concerning the D-Man, why is this a lose-lose situation? Obvoiously it's no different than the Lost Soul itself. In ZDoom it counts and in other ports it doesn't. Exactly what we currently have in all Doom maps. ;)

Oh, and before I forget: I just spotted a few missing textures in MAP20. It's in the last room with some monsters. There's some alcoves with Electrons in them. Once you approach the edge where you have to jump down some crushers activate there. But these crushers are missing the upper texture so some HOM can become visible.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Isn't the plural of torpedo, torpedoes? Not torpedos?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I think it's the last level... there's this crusher thing that move up and down with bloody wall textures. The side textures aren't unpegged so the textures move with the crushers.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Nash wrote:I think it's the last level... there's this crusher thing that move up and down with bloody wall textures. The side textures aren't unpegged so the textures move with the crushers.
This happens in every map that has doors, crushers, anything :P
DoomsdayOdd

Post by DoomsdayOdd »

for some reason my Zdoom is not recognizing this an IWAD

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”