[Demo] ZBlood+ demo (2012.03.23, p1)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Мichаеlis

[Demo] ZBlood+ demo (2012.03.23, p1)

Post by Мichаеlis »

ZBlood+ (demo)

Blood is an old game by Monolith Productions that is... really great. (I don't have other appropriate words here.)
ZBlood is, basically, a Blood remake on (G)ZDoom engine.
ZBlood+ is an unofficial fork of ZBlood. It has been holding "In Development" status for a bit really too much more time than it should have. It's high time at least something was shown to all interested parties (if any exist).
And now, ZBlood+ finally has something to show.

So, in ZBlood+ you're again playing as Caleb, kicking heads and empty buckets, boasting great firepower and firing the robed madmen from life (if they ever had any). The unsatisfactory "story" of ZBlood is still there unchanged, because writing stories is not my cup of tea, but having at least this story is better than just "hit the switch to end the level".

If you haven't played ZBlood, or just Blood, you can still enjoy it if you're interested in: infiltrating sinister cults, ludicrous gibs, red rains, horror movies, playing zombie head soccer, Doom not looking like Doom, more or less scary more or less atmosphere, and at the same time great fun blasting things.

Demo Version contains first nine levels of ZBlood, modified so that they run better with truer balance of ZBlood+. They're also a little bit changed here and there. I tested balance by playing it on the highest difficulty, and, trust me, it's possible. And really challenging.

Advanced Engine Needed: although it is totally compatible with ZDoom, it is recommended to play it with GZDoom. (It may even be too dark if you don't, as some maps rely on placed lights.)
Absolutely obviously, you'll need the latest SVN version of either one.

Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14235769/zb43demo.zip
Three files in it must all be loaded together. I don't think that order matters, but just in case, I use "stuffs, textic, levede" order.
Spoiler: Features
Spoiler: To be or not to be (expected from the upcoming full version)
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: old post, for history and stuff
%d-days only offering! Get the totally original remix of one of Blood's musical themes now! (the theme is cblood8 in case anyone is interested)
Last edited by Мichаеlis on Wed May 02, 2012 5:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sodaholic

Re: "There Will Be ZBlood." ZBlood+: assistance required

Post by Sodaholic »

Well, this looks pretty cool! :) When it comes to mapping, I don't have time (school, and I already have another project in the works). I would if I did have time for it though. Just out of curiosity, do you plan on keeping the original zblood maps, or are you looking for people to make much more accurate conversions of the original blood maps to replace the god-awful original maps? For the time that they were made they weren't bad, but nowadays with zdoom as it is, they are very bad. Since zdoom now supports 3d floors, some of the sections with 3d floors could be done now. (stacked sectors wouldn't be good enough)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I was working on a mod ages back that had a few Blood weapons recreated as accurately as I could. I even took screenshots of the weapons in action to get the offsets correct and played the game a lot to get the timings down as close as possible. I might be willing to help with this if it's needed, but I can't make any promises. In any case, I will post the old mod if you'd like code for the weapons I had. :)

Edit:
Here you go! The weapons I recreated included the pitchfork, flare gun (and dual), and the Tesla gun. Note that I edited the graphics to have Lo Wang's bracers because I was going for a post apocalyptic look. These can easily be replaced by the original sprites or edits thereof. I was looking out for accuracy as much as possible, so the projectiles are pretty accurate, as is the weapon behavior.
FuzzyBlaze

Post by FuzzyBlaze »

Can i help you with some mapping?

BTW: Snarboo, can i use some of those weapons in Hentes?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Yeah that's fine, Lucario! Most of the weapons in that mod were from Shadow Warrior or Blood, and anything I make is free for others to use.
Мichаеlis

Re: [WIP] "There Will Be ZBlood." ZBlood+: assistance reques

Post by Мichаеlis »

Lucario, you are more than welcome :) See you on β-board!
Snarboo, I will surely have a look. The Tesla Cannon which is in ZB+ needs so much improvement that it could be as well redone from scratch; and I will look into others too.
Sodahollic, this is one tough question :) There are maps in ZB (before +) that are actually more detailed and interesting than original (for example, b1e3m2:The Siege). So these ZB ones will be kept if possible, maybe restricted to a separate episode. But accurate recreation of B1 ones (and/or adapting ZB ones to B1) is prevailing.
FuzzyBlaze

Post by FuzzyBlaze »

I have registered on zblood forums. Can i be an admin/moderator?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Lucario wrote:I have registered on zblood forums. Can i be an admin/moderator?
Hey, whoa, slow down a little, get to know the forum first, ask it out once or twice...uh, wait, that's not forum advice, that's...
FuzzyBlaze

Post by FuzzyBlaze »

:?

I can rip the textures from blood so they are in real blood palette. Instead of the blood resource pack.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Impressive, but that is not enough to make you moderator material, grasshopper.

8-)
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

wildweasel wrote:
Lucario wrote:I have registered on zblood forums. Can i be an admin/moderator?
Hey, whoa, slow down a little, get to know the forum first, ask it out once or twice...uh, wait, that's not forum advice, that's...
Dont you mean the owner? :P

You forgot to mention dinner and a movie ;)
Мichаеlis

Post by Мichаеlis »

Lucario, frankly speaking, there is almost nothing to moderate yet. However, your ripping skills will be appreciated; see my reply on β-board
Wildweasel, Caligari 87 and Apothem, :D
Everybody is still welcome to assist!
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Don't have Blood, never played it, don't know how to rip resources from it, don't have time for mapping or modding right now. :shrug:

8-)
Мichаеlis

Post by Мichаеlis »

Caligari 87, well, ok =(
Snarboo, I've looked into your wad. The Tesla Cannon in particular is what I will be glad to implement. Especially Alt-Fire (because the one that's in ZB+ right now sucks hard).
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

It's interesting to now ZBlood is being re-made =o
Kinda always liked the game, but zblood v41 was just so dumb..

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”