Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch - Released!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch - Released!

Post by Cutmanmike »

http://cutstuff.net/blog/?p=1916 - Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4JTSnplStM - Trailer 2!

More old screenshots here

What is it?

Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch is a new multiplayer mod that aims to puts Doom and Megaman into a blender and spew out a fun new way to blast your buddies online. I've always wanted to make a Megaman themed wad, and since my experimental multiplayer wad GVH wasn't a complete flop, I decided to make it deathmatch based. The 8-bit style stolen inspired by Kinsie was perfect for this, as it represents the time when I feel Megaman was in full fruition: on the NES.

Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch will play as if Megaman suddenly turned 3D. Everything will play as if it was being played back in 1987. Levels will use purely 8-bit textures and sprites. Megaman will jump high and take damage recoil. Weapons will behave exactly as they did back then, only from a 3d perspective. The plan is to eventually have all the levels and weapons from Megaman 1-6 (and maybe 9). Obviously some weapons will have minor changes because there are a lot of clones throughout the series.

Gameplay

The game can be played in pretty much any game mode in Skulltag (except map specific modes like CTF obviously), but will be designed for Deathmatch. Obviously there will be no Robot Masters to steal weapons from, so you will have to find them and pick them up. The catch is you can only use one at a time, but they can be discarded for the Mega Buster at any time. The Mega Buster has infinite ammo, but weapons will use a global weapon energy found around the level. Along with the weapons are special inventory items which can be used at any time, such as the Rush Coil and E-Tank.

Progress:

Check out this thread on my forum to keep track of the progress
Zippy

Re: Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch

Post by Zippy »

I don't have any interest in doing any DECORATE support (partly because I'm working on other things, partly because I have some disagreement with the game mechanics) but the possibility to do one of the levels intrigues me. Though I'd like it to be one of the levels from Megaman II.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I can understand that (especially after looking at these limited textures). I'll keep a spot for you should the first 6 maps take off :)
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

I would definitely be willing to code some weapons. Give me a queue and send me on my way! I don't know about making projectile sprites, though. Then again, I suppose most attacks wouldn't need sprite rotations.

Anyway, yeah. Decorate, I can do that.
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Oooo, this is looking pretty awesome so far! :)
Lord_Z

Post by Lord_Z »

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun. I really look forward to being able to try it out. :D
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

I'm still learning up on DECORATE :? ... If Twilight Zone works out as planned I should have gathered enough experience to make new weapons and monsters, ON MY OWN (minus sprites :( )

What I can do for this project is make maps and test stuff. I wouldn't mind making a map for this :wink:
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

DECORATE isn't a huge priority as I have many of the weapons already figured out in my head. Just a matter of actually putting them together (and spriting if required).
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

You know where to find me.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Yeah msn when it WANTS TO WORK
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Like I said in the "What the hell are YOU working on" thread, I'd love to help you out with the mapping. Heck, I'd be willing to help you out with weapons too if you want because there's a few weapons I'd love to see being made for your mod too like the ones from Mega Man 2 (Metal Blades ftw!), 3 (Hard Knuckle, Gemini Laser, Magnet Missile and Search Snake please), and 5 (Gyro Blade).

Although, one question still remains: Since you said you'd want all the weapons from the NES Classic Mega Man games to be in this, how exactly will the weird weapons like Top Spin, Gravity Hold, Charge Kick and Centaur Man's weapon work?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Charge kick will be a problem, probably have to make him slide. I have an idea how to code the others.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Top Spins will likely use multiple A_Explode codepointers per tic to hit everything uniformly regardless of range away from it. I can't think of a better way to do it myself....
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sounds about right.

Edit: Updated first screenshot and added a new one
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Cutmanmike wrote:Yeah msn when it WANTS TO WORK
We call that Live Messenger now