KCMGAW's ZDoom Mods

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
KCMGAW

KCMGAW's ZDoom Mods

Post by KCMGAW »

Hello again folks, I decided instead of posting in my other thread to simply post any and all ZDoom modifcations I'm developing/developed in this thread.

A small blurb about what happened to me: Health problems, coupled with some school issues, took up my time on the other project and the project got canned. :( However, a dear friend of mine was willing to help me with a mod idea I have - to convert and fix my first mod, Boredomdai 3D, to fix some bugs that you folks help point out, and to use better sounds - including the excellent shotgun sound found in Doom PSX. A finalized version of the mod will be published here once I figure out a certain vexing bug that is preventing the game from being finished.

But Boredomdai 3D was turned into an epically so-bad-it's-good fanfiction style game mod. One that many of my friends found was "such a bad idea, it had potential to be good." This person ended up helping me beta-test the mod in mutli-player.

The story: A small choirboy has to defeat the evil church's slew of mutants. Meanwhile, the church is working with a demonic leader known as PAEC who wants to rid the world of imperfect people. This choirboy happens to be the Glee Club kid from Rhythm Heaven, a game released by Nintendo.

Sound silly? Well... it is. But it's brilliant. The first mod in the series has been stuck cold though because of a bug involving the countdown ticker.

I give people who have good eyes and technical skills the authorization to poke into this mod and see what can be done to optimize the ACS scripting in E2M5. Me and my friend can't figure it out, it keeps desyncing and causing a crash upon exit.

---

But the Super Chorboy mod, the sequel where mutant clams are invading the place... is in RC2 stage, recently going through a graphics optimization overhaul and some map-related bugfixes. It'll also be the most playable. It requires a recent SVN build of ZDoom, as it contains things like A_MonsterRefire().

The SVN is here. Or you can use one of the releases down below.

Me and my friend welcome people to expand upon this project. That's why all original sprites, textures, sounds and the DECORATE code are available under a Google code compatible license.

---

RELEASES

Super Choirboy (RC2) - The Ultimate Cartoony mod for ZDoom. Fight through evil clams, mutants and demons from outer space - and save a drifting classroom from doom. Contains the PK3, custom default config, and BATCH files to help you start it up. Will contain an enclosed instruction book. 17 levels.

Choirboy (Beta 1) - The original Choirboy mod, based off of the original Boredomdai 3D. Fight the evil church and the FINAL BOSS and save the world from the demonic downward spiral. Contains the PK3 only, and contains some bugs. Help a guy out.

MEDIA

Super Choirboy

Image Image Image Image Image

Choirboy

coming soon...

Enjoy the mods and give constructive feedback.

PS: I was influenced by PSX Doom mainly to do this mod, because of the awesomeness that it is. thanks Fender (sp?) for inspiring me.
XutaWoo

Re: KCMGAW's ZDoom Mods

Post by XutaWoo »

I just made a quick romp through Episode 1, and I must say, it's pretty fun.

Though, there seems to be a bit of inconsistency with effort on some textures (that brick one that's really shaded looks really out place) and the player sounds killed my ears.

Also, the minigun looks nothing like a minigun.

But I did like how it used seperate ammo from the pistol, meaning that it truly was a fallback weapon if I really did ever run out of ammo.
KCMGAW

Post by KCMGAW »

XutaWoo wrote:I just made a quick romp through Episode 1, and I must say, it's pretty fun.
Thanks. Glad it was overall enjoyable. :mrgreen:
XutaWoo wrote:Though, there seems to be a bit of inconsistency with effort on some textures (that brick one that's really shaded looks really out place) and the player sounds killed my ears.
I will see about replacing by cartoonifying that texture (and some others). I think I know the one you speak of. Sadly, textures aren't exactly my cup of tea but I will fix that one. If not, I'll use this to really make better ones in future mods.

As for the player pawn sounds, they're supposed to be high pitched... but I can see how one would get annoyed. A usually very good yet amateur voice actor friend of mine, perhaps did too good of a job voice acting them to my specs (I told him high pitched yet cartoony and goofy. He delivered). I'll talk to my friend and we'll see what to do there.
XutaWoo wrote:Also, the minigun looks nothing like a minigun.
I fixed this in the recent SVN update, due to you pointing it out (replacing the name strings). I meant submac gun (as in Submachinegun). It was supposed to be a Minigun but I can't draw those. Besides, a submac gun sounds cooler.
XutaWoo wrote:But I did like how it used seperate ammo from the pistol, meaning that it truly was a fallback weapon if I really did ever run out of ammo.
One thing I was inspired for Duke Nukem 3D was how most, if not all, weapons had a unique ammo type (Crystals for the Shrinker, Electric Nitrogen for the Freezethrower, Pipebombs were self contained, etc. It made no sense in Doom to use bullets for a weak pistol in a somewhat super weapon like the chaingun.

Thanks for the feedback. It helps. :V
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

KCMGAW wrote:It made no sense in Doom to use bullets for a weak pistol in a somewhat super weapon like the chaingun.
To be fair, all the bullets in DOOM were the same caliber as they all did the same damage. :P
KCMGAW

Post by KCMGAW »

XutaWoo wrote:
KCMGAW wrote:It made no sense in Doom to use bullets for a weak pistol in a somewhat super weapon like the chaingun.
To be fair, all the bullets in DOOM were the same caliber as they all did the same damage. :P
This happens to be a very true statement. But to add some damage to the Chaingun bullets wouldn't have hurt :V

Oh well, c'est la vie de Doom.

---

Anyhow, my next project is to wrap up these two projects and make a more story driven game. Does anyone know if you can script custom in-game cutscenes, even if it's through graphics in ACS? I tried that once but the player could still shoot and the like. It was a test mod I was doing.

I was thinking of making my next mod be like Powerslave or Super Metroid - and remake the Choirboy mod with this setup.

All my mods have been a DOOM or Duke 3D clone up to this point. I need to change this design motif.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

[wiki]SetPlayerProperty[/wiki].

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”