[Release/WIP] Xim's Weapon and Enemies WAD

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Xim

[Release/WIP] Xim's Weapon and Enemies WAD

Post by Xim »

Here's a fairly simple wad (well two wads) that replaces the weapons and a few of the enemies and adds some new ones. The new weapons can be obtained by picking up dropped weapons and the new enemies will spawn randomly where previous ones did. You're probably all familiar with this sorta deal. Enjoy!

Image Image Image Image

(New Release) Download Here!

Old Versions
Spoiler:
Last edited by Xim on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Release/WIP] Xim's Weapon and Enemies WAD

Post by wildweasel »

You've got a good start here, but you really need to bear a few things in mind:
  • Credit where credit is due. There's a lot of resources that appear taken directly from other wads, including my own unfinished Stranger Part 2 (you don't even appear to have modified the sprite offsets on the pistol you lifted from there), and I see no readme or credit list.
  • Your weapon animations are slow and jerky. Start analyzing other mods to figure out how to make your animations look smoother.
  • The weapons feel very sluggish to use, with heavy triggers being a major problem on some of them (there is a noticeable delay between clicking Fire and the weapon actually firing, especially with the pistols).
  • The railgun appears to shoot at an angle?
  • Some weapons are wildly inconsistent about when they allow you to reload. You can reload the pistol anytime, but not the flamethrower?
  • The pump shotgun and the assault rifle look similar enough (being based on the same graphic) that it can be confusing at times.
If you want, I can assess the mod a little further and give more feedback on what else could be fixed. But as it stands, you've done a pretty good job learning from your mistakes.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Thanks for the feedback. But yeah, I wouldn't mind some more. Because I wouldn't mind fixing this up a bit.
Imp Hunter

Post by Imp Hunter »

Also, the weapon capacity of the Machinegun and Chaingun is too much low!
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

Imp Hunter wrote:Also, the weapon capacity of the Machinegun and Chaingun is too much low!
Yeah,especialy machinegun!! :lol:
AlphaSoraKun
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Some time ago, I sold the rights of devolopment for Stranger 3 to wildweasel because I figured that he would never let me work on it.
Last edited by AlphaSoraKun on Fri May 01, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SSJKlonoa wrote:I plan on featuring that in my Stranger 3 mod, but I have to get wildweasel's permission in order to do a Stranger 3.
I, unfortunately, am not willing to grant such permission. Please make up your own idea.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I like how the guy has two left legs, as evidenced by the kicking animation. :p

Weasel has said what I would have. It's not necessarily a bad mod for a beginner, but there are a lot of newbie mistakes, namely using graphics from Shadow Warrior and Scuba Steve's Action Doom BFG. The animation in a lot of cases is also rather stiff or sloppy. The new shotgun graphics are pretty terrible, also.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Two left legs? Heh, guess I didn't notice that XD. And you'll be happy to know I just recently made a new shotgun graphic (which I might also submit to replace the graphic at Realm667). I like the Action BFG a lot, but if it's overused, I guess I could give it a good edit, as it is a pretty good sideview BFG. I'm also planning on making a new chaingun sprite.

Once I'm done fixing it up more, I'll make a new release.

EDIT: New Release

Here's what's different

-Added Credits lump
-Fixed up the animations (Tell me what you think)
-Removed the "slow triggers"
-New shotgun graphic
-Machinegun has it's own ammo, and a bigger clip
-Machinegun no longer has perfect accuracy
-Fixed Railgun fire a bit

As for what Snarboo said about the kicking animation, I'm not too sure. He kicks with his left leg from the left side, so I don't see what's wrong.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I guess I meant two right legs. The graphic you are using is for the Marine's right leg, and you adjusted the offset to the left, making it seem like the player has two right legs. Try flipping the kick animation and adjusting the offset a bit.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Problems I feel are worth mentioning:
-chainsaw doesn't really feel like it's being used.
-gun magazines are not marked with the "don't double ammo on difficulties that double ammo" +ignoreskill flag. As a result the shotgun and rocket launcher puts in two rounds at once on easiest.
-can you do the charging up of distance for the grenade BEFORE you start the throwing animation? To me that would feel more smooth. Or, if you're skilled enough, WHILE the animation is playing!
-Zdoom crashes on exit when I play just the weapon enhancements. Probably nothing of critical importance.
Xim

Post by Xim »

I'll keep the chainsaw thing in mind, and I guess I'll fix the skill level thing. Then again who plays on "I'm Too Young To Die" these days anyways? :P
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I ALWAYS test that mode, although I have a better excuse for it- in case you decide to use this with a mod with custom difficulties that might double or triple ammo. But it's an easy fix- just make sure all magazines (like the shotgun's current ammo) have +ignoreskill on them.

Edit: IT NEEDS TO BE ON THROW STRENGTH TOO!!!!!!
Imp Hunter

Post by Imp Hunter »

Dude, a Demoniac weapon WITH RELOAD? WTF :?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I know... but it eats ammo, so heh.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”