[Done] Master Levels Menu Interface

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zippy

Re: [Done-ish] Master Levels Menu Interface (Download availa

Post by Zippy »

You're welcome.

Damn. Every day I'm reminded this exists I still want to go back and completely finish it, integrate Gez's changes, etc.
rainlen

Post by rainlen »

Can someone re-upload this? The download link has stopped working. :(
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

<Link removed>

New version available in first post.
Last edited by wolfman on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainlen

Post by rainlen »

wolfman wrote:
rainlen wrote:Can someone re-upload this? The download link has stopped working. :(
http://www.mediafire.com/?09n79wy8f9693vn
Thanks
Zippy

Re: [Done] Master Levels Menu Interface

Post by Zippy »

UPDATE!

Done.

I fixed up the problems that people pointed out and updated the file (finally). Specific information can be found on the first post of this thread. Aside from that, here's a quick link to the new download (courtesy DRD Team Share Space). If there aren't any major problems or complaints this is getting taken to the archives.

Remember, it does not come with The Master Levels, you'll need to purchase them yourself. Instructions for using the menu with The Master Levels can be found in the zip (INSTRUCTIONS.TXT) and on the first post of the this thread.

Enjoy!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Been a week and I've received no reports of any problems. Did a playthrough and further testing myself with no issues. I'm going to upload it to the archives. Once it's in newstuff I'm deleting the version on DRD Team's Share Space. The only difference between the idgames version of the Share Space version is with the accompanying documentation, which has been mildly updated.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Uploaded to idgames, was moved to newstuff (and interestingly utils/frontends instead to where source port single Doom 2 levels go, which is what it is technically), and Doomworld's mirror has updated to include it. I've modified the first post to reflect the new link and removed the menu from DRD Share Space.

idgames download: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16188

That finally lays this unfinished business to rest.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is a very cunning and well executed use of Zdoom features. Nice job. :yup:
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

I've lurked here for quite some time, but have only just registered to thank you for this front-end. Perhaps a newer alternative exists now, but after following your directions, I have all my Master Levels in one PK3 file, and a neat front-end to browse them.

Thank you!
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Hello, I've downloaded the interface mod, and I've got the Master Levels from Steam as well. (You can search my name on steam if you don't believe me, profile is not private and you can see that it is in my library) But all these extra steps that I'm obliged to take in order to play what I want like:

"5) Using a lump editor (XWE, SLADE3, SLump3D), open TEETH.WAD
6) Delete the MAP32 lump and the 10 lumps that follow it. They
are: THINGS, LINEDEFS, SIDEDEFS< VERTEXES, SEGS, SSECTORS,
NODES, SECTORS, REJECT, and BLOCKMAP."

No... just no. I've stopped following at that fifth step. Look, I'm a simple man, all I want to do is play the master levels with my favorite gameplay mods without having to pistol start on every one of them (that means I want to keep my inventory dammit, don't tell me to spawn weapons) This also means that I'm using ZDL with gzdoom. I have all it takes to run a mod goddammit, why do I have to be bothered with taking even more steps like downloading an extra program to edit something that I don't even care to learn about? I just need one .wad that nicely arranges all of those maps in a way that their map numbers are not conflicting with each other (I would appreciate if TEETH and the secret level maps are the last, and ATTACK is the first). I don't even need an user interface for this.
Look, like I said I've got the base game, can't anyone just help me out here and send me, like a readily available .wad or something? It's not even considered piracy since I own it. I would be really grateful.
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

One, at this point you'll probably want to use WadSmoosh, instead. It lets you add the Master Levels as an episode.
Two, angrily complaining about your own laziness isn't helpful to anyone.
Three, this thread hasn't had a new post in half a decade. Necrobumping is generally frowned upon, especially when you don't have anything to add.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

As much as I can understand perhaps not understanding the instructions (it is a bit more complicated than the average wad file), I really don't think going on an angry rant was the way to get help with it.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

@Atendega,

Well, firstly it wasn't angrily complaining, secondly I'm the one who needed help here, not anyone else, you seem to be slow to get that notion.

Thirdly, it isn't counted as necroposting as long as someone still needs help on the said subject and if the post matches the topic that is posted on. Which my post, suits the both criteria. Plus being a a rule-OCD on a forum that has 15-20 members on simultaneously on an average day is... pretty dumb and useless anyways. Like I said, it wasn't even something useless, it was calling for help on a relevant topic. And I was either gonna ask for help in that relevant topic, or go and post a new topic about this already pre-existing topic.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The necrobump is okay in the sense that you're needing help with something. That's fine.

The thing you're trying to do is going to require some DIY. The Master Levels were intended to be played individually; even with this menu interface, all it does is remove the need to quit and restart Doom every time you want to load a new map (it's essentially a recreation of the original DOS menu, just in-engine). As far as I can tell, even WadSmoosh enforces a pistol start per map, which is true to the spirit of the original files.

The problem I'm seeing here, though, is that while, again, it's fine if you don't understand the instructions because they're not exactly the kind of thing a regular, ordinary Doom player will be doing every day; I don't understand getting bent out of shape about it. Especially things like this:
(that means I want to keep my inventory dammit, don't tell me to spawn weapons)
I have all it takes to run a mod goddammit, why do I have to be bothered with taking even more steps like downloading an extra program to edit something that I don't even care to learn about?
can't anyone just help me out here and send me, like a readily available .wad or something?
I'm the one who needed help here, not anyone else, you seem to be slow to get that notion.
This doesn't really strike me as the kind of respect I'd like to be seeing around here. Asking for help is fine, you're not breaking rules just for that. But I would really prefer if, in the future, you tried your best not to take your frustrations out on a userbase that ultimately has little-to-nothing to do with why you're upset.

I would help you myself, but I don't actually own the Master Levels (I'd need to buy the Doom Complete pack on Steam to get them nowadays, if I recall, and that's not cheap when I own the rest of the series already several times over).
Gez

Post by Gez »

You can get the Master Levels by buying Doom II on GOG.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”