X-Wing - Doom fighter Released

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: X-Wing - Doom fighter Released

Post by Nash »

It's cool, but the movement really felt like Doomguy with the fly cheat instead of flying in space in an X Wing.

If you're wanting to get serious with this project, you should try to code in a custom flight sim movement using ACS. :P It would be worth it. Start by using the new GetPlayerInput functions.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Doorhenge wrote:
MartinHowe wrote:f=d/dt(mv)
m(v)=m(0)*(1-(v^2/c^2))
And this one is all our own work:
What does this mean?
Those are famous equations governing physics laws (The former is Newton's law of acceleration, for the latter I'm not sure but it seems to me that it's a misremembered equation for the relativistic mass).

Martin was saying that "no screenies = no downloads" is a natural law of the universe.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I certainly liked it :)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

this is fucking awesome!

suggestions, have character classes so one could be say, an A-Wing or a B-Wing and so forth
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

This is really cool.

When you die, the plane should crash and explode instead of you just dieing. That would be awesome (plus it would motivate me to die even more :P )!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Another suggestion besides what has already been mentioned would be a better AI although hard to achieve with DECORATE only :( Maybe also some mission based stuff :)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

X-CrAzYkOoL-X wrote:just play it, dude. :glare:
Heh. I wish "just hire me, dude" worked in job interviews or "1 4m 1337" worked on a CV readers desk...

Seriously, when all the world and their cat is making doom mods, being a gamer is like a job interviewer with a pile of 3000+ CVs on the desk - anything that doesn't immediately grab the attention gets filed under "wastebasket". If you have screenshots and the user isn't captivated by it, there's a 50% chance they won't bother to download your mod. If there are no screenshots, there's a 99% chance they won't bother to download your mod :(

Oh and yes I got the Lorentz equation wrong, so let Einstein's estate sue me :P
MephistoII

Post by MephistoII »

heh... screenshots don't make any justice. It's very funny.
tho, you could still improve it a lot. the loooooow speed movement sumed with the high manoeuvreability makes it feel more like a helicopter, rather than a spacecraft.
with a lil' effort and some of the new capabilities added "recently" to zdoom you could make it quite better. Anyways, it is imposible to do something like that perfectly without 6DOF...

Thumbs up to you, keep it up. :thumb:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There have been a few mods, one by LWM that I remember (also Star Wars themed), that managed a more convincing representation of spacecraft flight.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Wouldn't simple inertia and newtonian motion be possible using scripting?
Penguinator

Post by Penguinator »

Osiris is already 10 steps ahead of you guys. Make sure to do your bindings and go to the Doom Velocity section. I haven't seen the one Enjay was talking about, so that may be a better start, but Osiris's version works very well.
TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

about the X-wing mod, u die very easy in the 1st 2 levels. try givin urself startin armor.
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

perhaps institute some sort of shields? the lower they get the more damage you take
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Penguinator wrote:Osiris is already 10 steps ahead of you guys. Make sure to do your bindings and go to the Doom Velocity section. I haven't seen the one Enjay was talking about, so that may be a better start, but Osiris's version works very well.
It's broken for r1315.
Penguinator

Post by Penguinator »

I just tested it; works flawlessly in Zdoom r1315... Except for the toggle afterburner bit, but that never worked for me.

On an unrelated note, however, when I downloaded the Zdoom svn, it seems to have corrupted the hell out of my old GZDoom version. Odd.Ok, works in both of the latest versions of GZ and Z Doom. It mus be something on your end. :?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”