[RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Renegade

Re: [RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

Post by Renegade »

David Ferstat wrote:Now, I don't know this is a problem with Cold As Hell, or with GZDoom, or if it's a PICNIC. (Problem in chair, not in computer). :)
I'd always preferred the phrase PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

Anyway, I was all set to play this and it looked like it was shaping up to be really good. But then... VISUAL GLITCHES!!! Basically whenever I was not within sight of an outside area, or a sliding door that was in motion, a giant HOM covers the bottom 3/4 of my screen. I don't think it's a problem with GZDoom, as DOOM2 runs fine.
Anyway, I don't know if anyone has a simple solution to this (cause that would be great), if not, oh well. Sucks to be me.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

I have to say I was inspired to play this WAD after walking a couple of miles back to my friend's house because my truck skidded out on ice . . . damn cold night. Now to actually do the downloading . . .
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Hate to bump this, but I keep getting this recurring problem:

The custom HUD is all naffed up, way too large for the screen. Doesn't matter the resolution I picked, and I've fiddled with all the options. I understand this mod was for an older version of gzdoom (1.1.06) so I went and grabbed that to run this. Same problem, only with the additional problem of HUD messages still plopping over each other (which was not an issue in a modern build)

Is it going to have to be one of those things where I have to fiddle around with sbar? Want that to be last resort.

EDIT: Worst comes to worst, I'll just delete the custom sbar and run with alt hud. But you know, I'm trying to get the experience the author wanted.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I actually made a personal revised edition of this project, because I really loved it but found a few things could've done with some light polish and a few extra features, including co-op to share the experience with friends. I believe sorting out the HUD was on the list of tweaks I made. I hadn't originally intended to release what I did, though, since my personal policy has always been to keep my edits of other people's works private unless I receive their express blessings...
PFL

Post by PFL »

A 4 year bump :shock:

I remember this. I played this. This Special Edition gives me an additional taste for a revisit ... can I reserve my copy at Walmart ... [ :mrgreen: ] meaning nice covers
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Lava Grunt wrote:Hate to bump this, but I keep getting this recurring problem:

The custom HUD is all naffed up, way too large for the screen. Doesn't matter the resolution I picked, and I've fiddled with all the options. I understand this mod was for an older version of gzdoom (1.1.06) so I went and grabbed that to run this. Same problem, only with the additional problem of HUD messages still plopping over each other (which was not an issue in a modern build)

Is it going to have to be one of those things where I have to fiddle around with sbar? Want that to be last resort.

EDIT: Worst comes to worst, I'll just delete the custom sbar and run with alt hud. But you know, I'm trying to get the experience the author wanted.
Turn "scale text in hi res" off in your display > message options
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Scaling hud messages didn't help the problem. I say "didn't" because the problem, to my surprise, went away overnight when I updated GZDoom to the latest revision...

Lava, try updating to the newest revision to see if it fixes it for you, too. There were one or two font-based fixes in the past couple of weeks, and it may be related.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Don't know if you caught my most recent PM, but in it I said that scaling the text in hi res was the problem, and setting it to double (rather than, like, on) worked. So that much is done.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I see. When you mentioned that it was "naffed up", I had assumed it was the same problem I was having, where the font used for the background of the text box wasn't lining up with the actual words, and was being torn into stripes. Very ugly, and unrelated to text scaling. But my problem has mysteriously gone away with a new SVN, so all's well that end's well.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Minus your eternally spinning casings...I don't think the regular SE has that issue. Have you checked on that?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

The official release of Cold As Hell was the only time I ever saw the issue. In fact, fixing it was a main focus for me in my personal revised edition (as I said above), which I did by replacing the text box with a static graphic.

EDIT: Ok now I'm getting weirded out. It's happening again, but ONLY in Scale/Double mode. It doesn't happen when scaling is off, now. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed since the last time I launched it.

POST FROM THE FUTURE: On the off-chance anyone still comes to the end of this thread, I've long-since finished my revamp of this project, including co-op play, scale-able HUD messages, and miscellaneous code cleanup.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”