In single player mode, you'll play for points, and there will be plenty of ways to rake in points besides killing zombies. There will be mini games and side missions that'll earn you points and some stat boosts should you complete them. It has been undecided what kind of side missions will be available.
You will be given free roam around the town while waiting for the helicopter to arrive on the 7th day. Should you miss the helicopter on the 7th day, the town will be nuked, the game will end and you'll suffer a huge score reduction. And the bad ending.
In coop multiplayer mode, players must work together to survive for 7 days. Those who die will be brought back to life, but with a huge score reduction.
This is still in very early stages, and there is still a lot that needs to be designed and thought of. I am working on this mod during whatever free time I have, so I'm going to really take my time on this.
Here's a list of planned gameplay features:
- Sandbox-style gameplay for GZDoom! Roam around the town freely in search of food, equipment, and weapons so that you will be able to stand a chance against the horde of the undead.
- Drivable vehicles to help you get around town faster. I'm not done with this yet, but I've already done a semi-working version of drivable vehicles in another test WAD. I just need to find the time to incorporate it into this mod.
- A wide array of unique zombie sprites - I plan to create as many unique zombies as possible. Male, female, young and old, fat and thin, and in different clothing and physical state. I don't want the player to face the same zombie a thousand times throughout the game. Inspired by the unique zombie models from the game Dead Rising.
- Real-time day and night cycle! As you can see in the screenshots and in the gameplay footage, this has already been fully implemented and works perfectly. Zombies will be stronger and faster at night. Still to-do: Raining and thunderstorms.
- Semi-realistic gameplay. I can already hear you Doomers whining, but this mod is about survival after all. I don't plan to alter much in the health and damage department; but there will be elements like hunger and stamina. Failure to eat will result in you losing health gradually and die of hunger, while low stamina will result in lower melee damage and speed, and possible immobility. However there will be a huge gameplay adjustment in the inventory department; you can only carry two weapons. If you find another weapon, you have to discard the current weapon. Your inventory space will also be limited, so you can't just stockpile your food and supplies. You'll have to decide what to take and what to leave behind.
- Fully customizable gameplay. You will be able to alter how fast time flies in the game, enable/disable hunger and stamina, and a bunch of other stuff so that this mod will be more enjoyable. Don't like the game's default gameplay settings? Create your own game rules. I'm not sure how this will be handled for multiplayer though. Maybe disable customization for multiplayer?
- Lots of weapons. I plan to make it so that you can use almost anything around you as weapons. Planks, bricks, chairs, paint cans, computers, record players; just about anything can be imrpovised into a weapon. Here's a list of the weapons already done (or partially done; meaning that the graphics already exist in the WAD but the DECORATE hasn't been written yet):
Spoiler:- Enhanced visual effects. Lots and lots of particle effects that'll make you forget you're playing Doom at all! You can see some in action like the new blood effects, explosion and smoke particles in the screenshots and the video. Also, oozing blood on walls and floor blood splats!
So enough of all that boring text. How about some screenshots and a YouTube video showing some early gameplay footage?
Click on the screens to see a higher res version!
Higher res version of video can be downloaded here (11 MB).