Foreverhood Gameplay Beta Test -Looking for Fresh eyes-

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
skadoomer

Re: Foreverhood Gameplay Beta Test

Post by skadoomer »

Penguinator wrote:I replayed again doing that and the weapon script broke in between levels.
Now THAT makes sense. If you leave the script open when exiting a level, the flags are never reset.
Penguinator

Post by Penguinator »

Eh, does that help you any then? >>

That's probably how the script broke on me on the first play of this.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gyee!

I really, really liked the original Foreverhood beta, and since I played it a while back I've been anxiously awaiting another chance to play new stuff. Very excited. Will play later and enjoy.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Penguinator wrote:Eh, does that help you any then? >>
Yes. I've fixed most of the bugs reported here and I'll release it later on tonight when I've done a complete run through myself. I'll have a release near august that addresses some cosmetic and aesthetic issues with this build.
Onslaught Six wrote:I really, really liked the original Foreverhood beta, and since I played it a while back I've been anxiously awaiting another chance to play new stuff. Very excited. Will play later and enjoy.
This newstuff looks exactly like doom and is more of a technical showing than a dressed up, official foreverhood release.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Just wanted to let you know that the hotboxes become inaccurate for users like me who play on a TFT monitor with a 5:4 video mode and vid_tft set to 1.

I have to point and click 16 pixels higher to catch your hotboxes.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Hi guys. Just wanted to drop you a line that i have another release candidate that is almost ready to go.
hotboxes become inaccurate for users like me who play on a TFT monitor with a 5:4 video mode and vid_tft set to 1.
This problem is driving me nuts because its going beyond my mathematical understanding of how to calculate placement differences with aspect ratios. I setup a few quirky things for drawing hudbars and the statscreen that don't move very well in non 3:4 aspect ratio environments. All my previous ideas on how to handle this have fallen flat, so I'm down to using case exceptions for the hudbars which will hopefully return some success rate over the next day or two. As for the statscreen mouse, it gets tough because my solution for 16:9/10 falls apart in 5:4.

Give me until Friday and I'll release what i have without or without these issues fixed.
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

Randomly decided to download this and try it out. I realize this is a beta to test out features and not intended for regular Doom game play. With that in mind...

Since all the weapons (minus the fist and chainsaw) run off the same ammo, shouldn't different weapons drain different amounts of ammo? For example, a single rocket shot could drain a lot more ammo then a single plasma shot. Also, there appears to be a bug related to certain power ups. For example, if you boost your speed or max out your weapon level and exit a level while their still in effect, they carry over to the next level and remain in effect forever. As for different weapon levels having different puffs, the puffs themselves don't show up if particles are enabled. Again, I know this was not balanced with regular Doom game play in mind, but the power ups to protect you from damaging floors and all damage are missing, making some levels quite hard to play, like the room with the Cyberdemon and a bunch of Barons of Hell on Map08 of the regular Doom II maps. Upon opening the menu, the time stop effect only works for a limited time, so after being in it for awhile, you're basically helpless to whatever may be out to kill you at the time. I think that's already reported. Another bug I discovered is that if you set the mouse speed to 1, you get a divide by zero error on script 446 and the mouse cursor is gone from the menu. It seems like the mouse moves slower on higher speeds, is this intended?

Otherwise, I can see this going far, even if personally I'm not that big of a fan of RPG elements.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:Since all the weapons (minus the fist and chainsaw) run off the same ammo, shouldn't different weapons drain different amounts of ammo? For example, a single rocket shot could drain a lot more ammo then a single plasma shot.
This is one of those things i cahnged just for testing purposes. New weapons from scratch will have all different drain amounts and some will not require ammo usage to be used.
Also, there appears to be a bug related to certain power ups. For example, if you boost your speed or max out your weapon level and exit a level while their still in effect, they carry over to the next level and remain in effect forever. As for different weapon levels having different puffs, the puffs themselves don't show up if particles are enabled.
Fixed for the next version. I saw that one comming when i realized that the weapon selector and charge bar also break things because nothing is reset on a levels exit.
Again, I know this was not balanced with regular Doom game play in mind, but the power ups to protect you from damaging floors and all damage are missing, making some levels quite hard to play, like the room with the Cyberdemon and a bunch of Barons of Hell on Map08 of the regular Doom II maps.
Invulnerability was added in the next release
Upon opening the menu, the time stop effect only works for a limited time, so after being in it for awhile, you're basically helpless to whatever may be out to kill you at the time. I think that's already reported.
Reported, but i can't recreate it. How long are you waiting before it happens? Is anything else broken when you do this?
Another bug I discovered is that if you set the mouse speed to 1, you get a divide by zero error on script 446 and the mouse cursor is gone from the menu.
I'll look into that.
It seems like the mouse moves slower on higher speeds, is this intended?
Yes, but I'm at a loss for a better way to display that information. I'd like to draw it as a slide bar, but the amount of work to write something like that into my GUI system for a single use didn't make it worth my while. Suggestions are welcome in this department.

Also, there is a delay in the release because of a "new feature" and a new bug with non 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions.
ThatOneZDoomer

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

skadoomer wrote:
ThatOneZDoomer wrote:Upon opening the menu, the time stop effect only works for a limited time, so after being in it for awhile, you're basically helpless to whatever may be out to kill you at the time. I think that's already reported.
Reported, but i can't recreate it. How long are you waiting before it happens? Is anything else broken when you do this?
I timed it at exactly a minute. However, it seems I was a bit off in what actually happens. Time resumes for what seems like a few tics before freezing again, but the music remains on, rather then off when normally in the menu. So other then a few tics passing by and the music playing like normal again, nothing else unusual happens that I know of.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Its fixed now. I actually use the freeze power to stop gameplay, so i really have no control over the music. Does the music stop when entering the statscreen? I've been playing without sounds or music for testing purposes so I really have no idea what it does.
ThatOneZDoomer

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

skadoomer wrote:Its fixed now. I actually use the freeze power to stop gameplay, so i really have no control over the music. Does the music stop when entering the statscreen? I've been playing without sounds or music for testing purposes so I really have no idea what it does.
Yeah, the music only stops when entering the custom menu and due to the nature of the time stop power, there's no way to control it. I guess no music in the menu could be seen more as a feature then a bug. Strange how after a minute of being in the menu, the time stop power would work again, but retain the music, but it sounds like it's fixed now.
skadoomer

Re: Foreverhood Gameplay Beta Test -Revision 2 Now Available-

Post by skadoomer »

Revision 2 is now available. See the first post for downloads.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

When you collect enough Health Regeneration Amulets (when it caps), you're practically invulnerable to small-arms fire. When you take a hit, you regenerate 2 HP per tic. A 70 point hit comes back in just one second.

As you collect more Amulet Chance and Power-Up Chance Amulets, Health and Mana do not ever spawn anymore. ... That can make fighting just a little tough on a player, as then only the weapons ever give mana (that and the Mana Tank power-ups).
Call to Arms (Summon) Amulets, if you get enough, have the potential to summon a full horde of lesser creatures. Is this intentional?

Rockets occasionally do not do much damage at all. On Rocket Level 1 this never happens.
Rocket Level 2 and higher does not want to gib. Rocket Level 1 behaves as intended.

If you are Invulnerable and exit a level, you will still feel the effects except for the faded screen. Reflected shots and godlike visage and everything else remains.

Occasionally, at the start of a level, firing first instead of bringing up the menu locks the inventory selection system and also prevents you from firing. You can still open the "Book" screen but that's all.

Script 400 likes to run-away for some reason. I don't know what it does.

On occasion, before I capped the Amulet... amulet, and the power-up amulet, a dying creature would spawn a blue respawn fog. I don't know what that is.

Player Note: If you use the plasma gun wisely, and level it up very carefully, that gun is very, very fucking scary. :twisted:
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

When you collect enough Health Regeneration Amulets (when it caps), you're practically invulnerable to small-arms fire. When you take a hit, you regenerate 2 HP per tic. A 70 point hit comes back in just one second.
As you collect more Amulet Chance and Power-Up Chance Amulets, Health and Mana do not ever spawn anymore. ... That can make fighting just a little tough on a player, as then only the weapons ever give mana (that and the Mana Tank power-ups).
This is intentional. Foreverhood uses an active spawning system to populate the map with monsters (which is still in development) and makes monsters stronger as you get stronger. This also ties into your other question. The mana and health regeneration are supposed to take away the ability monsters have to drop things, the point being you don't need them as much. Why the amulets do it really have no idea. I have to look into that.
Call to Arms (Summon) Amulets, if you get enough, have the potential to summon a full horde of lesser creatures. Is this intentional?
yes and no. Your supposed to get creatures to help, but not more than like 10 max or so. How many did you get?
Rockets occasionally do not do much damage at all. On Rocket Level 1 this never happens. Rocket Level 2 and higher does not want to gib. Rocket Level 1 behaves as intended.
The spalsh damage is calculated differently because i forgot some code. Since there is no rocket launcher in Foreverhood, its not an issue to me.
If you are Invulnerable and exit a level, you will still feel the effects except for the faded screen. Reflected shots and godlike visage and everything else remains.
I'm not sure how i want to approach this because I haven't tested the timer in a hub environment. All the coding for the powerups work independently of decorate and use ACS's timer function to calculate time. So long as the timer dosn't get reset to 0 for each new map, it should be fine with a simple patch. But again, this is all theory and hasn't been tested yet.
Occasionally, at the start of a level, firing first instead of bringing up the menu locks the inventory selection system and also prevents you from firing. You can still open the "Book" screen but that's all.
Was it open in the end of the last level?
Script 400 likes to run-away for some reason. I don't know what it does.
It handles spawning probability for what any given monster drops. There's probably a bug in it somewhere.
On occasion, before I capped the Amulet... amulet, and the power-up amulet, a dying creature would spawn a blue respawn fog. I don't know what that is.
More experience for the player. Its automatically placed into your experience count when it drops. Its kind of a visual test for the moment to visually see when it was being spawned.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

If anyone is willing to give this a second go, pm me. I have another stable candidate ready that adds in a few new systems and could use the help in looking for bugs.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”