PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
unknownna

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by unknownna »

phi108 wrote:??? How can I enjoy sprites that are the exact same sprites that I have been seeing since Doom 2?

And I guess a simple solution is to delete all of the weapon sprites in sprites/, so I'll settle for that.
...They might be the same sprites, but with new offsets to match the psx counterpart without getting extremely pixellated as I've said many times by now.

Alright, but it won't be like the psx ones though. :?
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Enjay wrote:Curious. It does that for me too, but not with GZdoom. It doesn't look like the kind of thing I would normally associate with the differences between those two ports.

When I played it with Zdoom, The BFG appeared briefly immediately on starting the first level (ie, I didn't have the BFG), then the BFG flash (but no gun) then it started to cycle through a bunch of splash sprites in the top left corner and by the time I quit, it was showing crosshairs in their untranslated colours in the top left. I loaded the files up with exactly the same options in GZdoom and it worked. :shrug:
I deleted the weapon sprites with the custom offsets and the problem is fixed. I may just leave those out of the next release.
phi108 wrote:You need to leave out the weapon sprites. They are currently too high, with a gap between the bottom of the sprite and the bottom of the screen, and lowering them makes them exactly like the iwad gun sprites, so less is more here.
And I think there is new hud scripting or something, but it just causes problems, so leave it out. Just replace graphics for the normal doom hud. Or use SBARINFO. Its simple ad less obtrusive.
I will see what the general consensus is for the weapon sprites. It doesn't matter to me either way. Like I said above, I may just get rid of the sprites.

The reason I didn't replace the graphics for the normal doom hud is because it doesn't do some of the things the PlayStation hud does, like the weapon selection box and exploding head.
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

I see. Well, if the custom weapon offsets are causing the hud problems, you might as well just remove them. :|
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I have six recommendations, three for fenderc, one for the users, and two for graf and randy;

User:
1. Set your resolution to 256x200 on software
Modders:
1. Make custom boom colormaps for each light level by first applying normal fog, then apply universal darkening so in dark rooms even at close up walls won't be fullbright, and third apply an extra "sharp" fog at 192 mapunits and you have perfect psx light.
2. Make a .bat file that sets movebob to 0.125 and r_visibility to 16.
3. Realign the sprites (not weapons!) to be PERFECTLY horizontaly centered and be not below, not above but at the floor. (think gzdoom's sprite re-aligning)
Coders:
1. 16-bit color software :P
2. MENUDEF lump (custom menus)
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Sodahollic wrote:1. Set your resolution to 256x200 on software
I don't recommend that because it makes the colored lighting look like crap. I use the native resolution of my display with OpenGL rendering.
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

If you remove the weapon sprites with the new offsets, it would be kinda pointless to call it a psx tc.
Not pointless, sorry, but just try to not forget your original goal. :wink:

The random messages in the up left corner zdoom and gzdoom software mode exclusive. I tried it in skulltag software mode and it doesn't screw up there. Odd.

This will look very bad in the current software renderer due to the limitations of the doom palette.

It would be nice if you at least included the weapons as an alternate .pk3 for those who want it.
Last edited by unknownna on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

unknownna wrote:Actually, if you remove my weapon sprite alignments, it would be kinda pointless to call it a psx tc.
Well, I will add it to my list of things to ponder (remove or keep). Let's move on for now and focus on other bugs or changes. :)
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

fenderc01 wrote:
Sodahollic wrote:1. Set your resolution to 256x200 on software
I don't recommend that because it makes the colored lighting look like crap. I use the native resolution of my display with OpenGL rendering.
Quoting myself...
Sodahollic wrote:1. 16-bit color software :P
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

As for bugs. i sent you a pm about the MAP34 ones.

It seems that during convertion of the maps, some sectors that are supposed to glow etc have changed. They hurt you like lava/slime. This used to be obvious with the E1Mx exit rooms.

That's the most common bugs I've found.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

unknownna wrote:We decided to not use the real psx weapon sprites because they were way too small for this and scaling them up would only result in a big pixellated mess. :roll:
[wiki]HIRESTEX[/wiki]
I will see what the general consensus is for the weapon sprites. It doesn't matter to me either way. Like I said above, I may just get rid of the sprites.
I'd rather see the PSX sprites. Some of them actually look neater. Also, I don't mind the pixelly-ness; just make sure to utilize HIRESTEX so that it can scale neatly in higher resolutions (since I play exclusively in 1280x800).
The reason I didn't replace the graphics for the normal doom hud is because it doesn't do some of the things the PlayStation hud does, like the weapon selection box and exploding head.
[wiki]SBARINFO[/wiki] does indeed make use of the exploding head. As for the selection box.....
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

I do like the sound of this :D
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

phi108 wrote:But fenderc01, make sure you look into SBARINFO for the hud
Does anyone know if there is a way to set the width of the HUD using "SBARINFO"? I am able to do this in ACS using "SetHudSize", which is what I am currently doing. I was going to try switching to SBARINFO, but if i can't scale the graphics, then I guess I have to stick to my current method of drawing the HUD. The PlayStation HUD has a width of 256, by the way.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

I created the flames intro for PlayStation Doom. I will include it in the next beta. Here is a demo of it. Let me know what you think.

Flames Title Screen Demo (1.49 MB)
Last edited by fenderc01 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Neilson

Post by Chris Neilson »

Nice titlemap
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

fenderc01 wrote:Flames Title Screen Demo
Impressive. Most impressive. Indeed you are powerful.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”