[Pogostick] 0.9 Online! | Where are your contributions!? :(

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
david_a

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer v0.4 online | Help & Contrib.?

Post by david_a »

About the controls... For overhead 2D games, I've seen it where you can only move backward if you are currently firing. The normal state of Back is more like "Flip 180 degrees and swap Front/Back."

I think the second part can be done with simple console aliases, but checking the firing state seems like it would need ACS or something (can you have logic statements in an alias?).

I haven't actually tried playing it since I'm at work, but it looks neat...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Skunk wrote:Just the wolf Chalice and make it dark brown and fill it with blood.
That would do it. I've just had a poke through the beta WAD. There are some cool things in there that I'd forgotten about: like the marine death where he doesn't grab his throat, or the one where his legs and torso separate. :shock:

You can get it here:

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/historic/

doomprbt.zip

Install it then use XWE to read the WAD.

There are also the Alpha versions. doom0_2.zip doom0_4.zip doom0_5.zip

4 and 5 contain the chalice (which does look as if it might just be a Wolfenstein-based one) and there are also the alternative death for the Alpha lost soul and the exploding pinkie death. There is an alternative book pickup too and some other interesting stuff.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Blade Nightflame wrote:As a feature request, it's a No.

But otherwise, I think you'd have to amount to some devilish ACS scripting to do so.
Surely something like this would work if implemented correctly:

Code: Select all

PLAY A 0 A_JumpIf(z - floorz < 2,"Jumping")
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Hey! Are you planning bases with multiple floors/z-height? I'd imagine It could easily be done with transition points like use-platforms or elevators and silent teleporting, and in some places stacks for effect
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Those could all work, and since it's a side-scroller, some good old-fashioned midtexture abuse could help when multiple floors are needed to be onscreen at once without teleporting (floating platforms and whatnot).
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Right now? It's undetailed... unfinished... unsprited...
Spoiler:
But it's inprogress. :P

EDIT: I have a large resolution, but the forum doesn't, so I reuploaded a smaller version.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Skunk wrote:Right now? It's undetailed... unfinished... unsprited...
Spoiler:

EDIT: I have a large resolution, but the forum doesn't, so I reuploaded a smaller version.
The texturing needs work, IMO. You're mostly using very uninteresting textures, which tend to work best as borders or somewhere else where they're not covering a large space.

Maybe try FLOOR0_3 in place of the FLAT20 floor, computer textures in place of those flats you're using as wall lights (there are a lot of flats that just look icky when used as wall textures, bleh), and either CEIL3_5 or FLOOR4_8 or something in place of the CEIL5_2 floor. You could use CEIL5_2 as an 8-unit-thick border around it, though.

It's hard to tell in the low-res jpg screenshot, but is that CEIL5_2 on the walls, or is that COMPSPAN? I think I see some COMPSPAN lines, and the alignment looks weird. If it's COMPSPAN, try adjusting the ceiling height and texture alignment so that the outlines match up with the shapes of your walls. If it's CEIL5_1, try a different texture, but keep the same advice in mind :p
Worst

Post by Worst »

heh, this mod is not a bad idea at all, but the turning sure could use some tweaking :P

If you'd change your script a little, you could allow a bit easier quick 180 degree turning.

//This piece of script starts after the camera position script
// and replaces the old force angle scripts untill the point
// where the pain simulation scripts start.

///////////////////////////
//// FORCE ANGLE //////////
///////////////////////////
int forward=1;

script 305 OPEN //Force the player angle
{
while(TRUE)//Loop forever
	{
	if(forward == 1)
		{
		SetActorAngle(999, 0.0); //face forward(right)
		}
	if(forward == 0)
		{
		SetActorAngle(999, 0.5); //face backward(left)
		}
	delay(1);
	}
}

script 306 (void) //puke this script to face forward(right)
{
acs_terminate(307,0);
forward = 1;
}

script 307 (void) //puke this script to face backward(left)
{
acs_terminate(306,0);
forward = 0;
}
also a modified keyconf like this would make the modified script actually usefull :wink:

clearplayerclasses

addplayerclass JumpnRunDoomGuy

weaponsection PogoStick

setslot 1 FistPlat 
setslot 2 PistolPlat
setslot 3 ShotgunPlat SuperShotgunPlat
setslot 4 ChaingunPlat
setslot 5 RocketLauncherPlat
setslot 6 PlasmaRiflePlat
setslot 7 BFG9000Plat

addkeysection "Platform Controls" Platform

addmenukey "Forward" +platforward
alias +platforward "+forward"
alias -platforward "-forward"
defaultbind "kp6" "+platforward"

addmenukey "Backward" +platback
alias +platback "+back"
alias -platback "-back"
defaultbind "kp4" "+platback"

addmenukey "Inward" +platin
alias +platin "+moveleft"
alias -platin "-moveleft"
defaultbind "kp8" "+platin"

addmenukey "Outward" +platout
alias +platout "+moveright"
alias -platout "-moveright"
defaultbind "kp5" "+platout"

addmenukey "Use" +platuse
alias +platuse "+use"
alias -platuse "-use"
defailtbind "enter" +platuse

addmenukey "MoveRight" +goright
alias +goright "puke 306;+forward"
alias -goright "-forward"

addmenukey "MoveLeft" +goleft
alias +goleft "puke 307;+forward"
alias -goleft "-forward"
also with a little console binding you can get the inwards and outwards keys work the opposite after turning 180 degrees..(eg. towards the screen in both cases) however these console binds i tried, can get a bit bugged temporaly if you press a lot of keys at the same time :?

bind a "+goleft;bind s +platin;bind w +platout"
bind d "+goright;bind s +platout;bind w +platin"
hope this helps a little :)
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

esselfortium wrote:
Skunk wrote:Right now? It's undetailed... unfinished... unsprited...
Spoiler:

The texturing needs work, IMO. You're mostly using very uninteresting textures, which tend to work best as borders or somewhere else where they're not covering a large space.

Maybe try FLOOR0_3 in place of the FLAT20 floor, computer textures in place of those flats you're using as wall lights (there are a lot of flats that just look icky when used as wall textures, bleh), and either CEIL3_5 or FLOOR4_8 or something in place of the CEIL5_2 floor. You could use CEIL5_2 as an 8-unit-thick border around it, though.

It's hard to tell in the low-res jpg screenshot, but is that CEIL5_2 on the walls, or is that COMPSPAN? I think I see some COMPSPAN lines, and the alignment looks weird. If it's COMPSPAN, try adjusting the ceiling height and texture alignment so that the outlines match up with the shapes of your walls. If it's CEIL5_1, try a different texture, but keep the same advice in mind :p
Yep, like I said, undetailed, unfinished, unsprited, but inprogress. :P I'll take your advice.

This level is going to be one of those stereotypical sidescroller "elevator" levels where you have to ride the big freight elevator while enemies suddenly appear and attack, so i'm going to need to learn some scripting...

EDIT: And if after I'm done the level still sucks you can fix it. :P
Last edited by Skunk on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

for me it dosnt work =( something about LookEx its complainin about =(

[EDIT] and all of a sudden it works... strange :P /me likes it alot :D
tho the key thingys was.. kinda wrong lol :P im gonna change that :D
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Hey, this is really cool. Only problem for me so far -- the crosshairs slow things down a lot for me, and I have a fairly reasonable system. Might have something to do with the software renderer? An option to turn them off would be nice; you don't really need them if autoaim is on.

edit - no they don't, my sound daemon wasn't loaded and for some reason that was slowing down zdoom. Oops.

The controls could be different, but what you have seems pretty decent to me. I have an idea for alternate controls that would let you use a jump animation and control the player more intuitively; I'll play with it and post it here. Question - does anyone have jumping sprites for doomguy? I'll need some to test this.

edit - just noticed the custom palette ;)
Last edited by bagheadspidey on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

bagheadspidey wrote:edit - just noticed the custom palette ;)
Too bad he didn't make it with your program, huh Spidey? :P Hey Torm, have you seen Spidey's invention yet?

My elevator level... the intro is done, elevator is almost done, then the warehouse and finally the exit. Then it's needless detail time! 8D
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

I demand either a megawad, or a series of conversions of wads from normal DOOM to this. KDI2D, anyone?
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

found a small bug in the map - the last door only opens once. If you open it and let it close without entering, you can't finish the level.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

So you ran from the Hell Knight too huh? ;)
Enjay wrote:Slight bug: the last door is set to open from the outside once only. So if you run back out, the door will shut and you can't get back in again.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”