[Pogostick] 0.9 Online! | Where are your contributions!? :(

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LilWhiteMouse

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer v0.5 online | Help & Contrib.?

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Blzut3 wrote:The idea is based upon another platform shooter that I have played. It works like this. The crosshair is in total control of the user. If the crosshair is to the left of the player the player faces left and vice versa.
Offtopic'ish.
Spoiler:
TomD666

Post by TomD666 »

I think it was Abuse.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

The game I have played with the control scheme I implemented was "eXtinction" by cgs software. It was on "Game Give Away of the Day" sometime last year. I've never played the mentioned DOS game.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

New Version Online!
So, what's actually new in http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/pogostick_v06.zip ?

New
- Moving script is now final (except a very small change conc. turning around corners, expect that in v0.7)
- New HUD (some more info and nicer display)
- Bonus system (collect Blood Diamonds for Bonus Levels - coming soon)
- ...and many more little nice changes, feel free to try ;)
Blzut3

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer v0.6 online | Try! It rocks! :)

Post by Blzut3 »

The controlling scheme is still crap in my opinion. I can't shoot right and move left at the same time.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmm, not being able to back off and fire at the same time is a significant problem IMO.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

I edited the code to work with pogostick v0.6 and made it multiplayer compatible.

http://blzut3.maniacsvault.net/Blzut3-Pogostick-V2.zip
Spoiler: ACS
Worst

Post by Worst »

set your keys like this, and you'll be able to back off and shoot at the same time :)

KP8 - Inward
KP4 - MoveLeft
KP5 - Backwards
KP6 - MoveRight
KP2 - Outward

Imo, both alternative controlling versions you two made are pretty neat, but..

In my opinion the point of the doomplatformer is to restrict the movement to a more 2d appeal, only being able to move left or right and a little inwards outwards movement. Badgeheadspideys version doesnt quite suit these limitations, but It'd be awesome in a isometric mod or something 8-)

you might be asking why to limit it?.. limitations are a wonderfull thing, they give you more challenge( and they make your mapping efforts easyer :P)

as for blzut3s script, its pretty cool, and you even managed to get it aim freely up and down :)
but then again, I dont know if being able to aim like that is fair towards the monsters which cant do that :P

then also something worth pointing is that there's currently somesort of multiplayer support in all of the scripts.. I havent checked your scripts, so I wonder how easy would it be to implement mp support in them?

anyways, this is just my opinion, and I'm just fine with the current controls too :tongue:

EDIT:
:O
I'm not sure though if your script is compatible with the new turning chasecam code(not completely yet found in v0.6 I think), but eh, why dont you start a sister project or something? :P
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

I think its fair. The monsters are able to fire at you even when they are not lined up with you on the y axis. So what if you can drop a rocket on them from above? :p Besides this closes the line between GZDoom users and ZDoom a little bit more (well this is a bigger deal if this mod turns out to be Skulltag compatible).

"Turning chase cam" code? As in there is no restriction to a left to right map as seen in the demo map? If so as long as it stays within 90 degree increments it shouldn't be too hard to adapt my script to it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Worst wrote: KP8 - Inward
KP4 - MoveLeft
KP5 - Backwards
KP6 - MoveRight
KP2 - Outward
That does work, thanks. Unfortunately I find it quite awkward. Having one button always making you walk backwards regardless of which way you are facing doesn't seem very natural to me and I seem to be ending up pressing the wrong reverse direction button all the time but maybe I'll get used to it.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

My guy still doesn't turn around. I dunno what else to do. I can get him to go forward back peddle and strafe but not turn around and go the other way.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Keep up the good work, Tormentor! :thumb: This is really fun to play. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Something that has been suggested to me, and I really think it would work, is a "hold" button to preserve your facing when you move. I don't know how easy it would be to code but lets imagine the following movement setup.

kp8 move away from the camera
kp2 move towards the camera
kp6 move right, facing right
kp4 move left, facing left

Now, imagine an additional function bound to kp5. Whilst kp5 was held, the functionality of kp6 and kp4 would change slightly. They would still reverse the direction of your movement, but would not turn you around. So kp5 would essentially toggle the turn180 part of the movement code. That way you could easily choose to back off or about face without having to press different buttons for essentially the same direction of movement. Want to run away? Press kp4. Want to back off whilst firing at the enemy? Press kp4 and kp5. I think that would feel and be a lot more natural than kp5 always being the walk backwards button regardless of which way you were facing.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I like that idea, Enjay. :thumb:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

esselfortium wrote:I like that idea, Enjay. :thumb:
I like that as well though I have no idea how to achieve this with the KEYCONF lump, so if someone has an idea, feel free to post it :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”