[Pogostick] 0.9 Online! | Where are your contributions!? :(

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AFADoomer

Re: [Pogostick] Doom Platformer v0.5 online | Help & Contrib.?

Post by AFADoomer »

Tormentor667 wrote:Oh yeah, the key isn't needed anymore, thx to the automatic rotation from Worst. Now only the direction of Inward/Outward should be fixed at well :(
It's not perfect, but... Add to the code:

Code: Select all

script 308 (void)
{
	While(TRUE)
	{
		ThrustThing(192, 2, 0, 0);
		delay(1);
	}
}

script 309 (void)
{
	While(TRUE)
	{
		ThrustThing(64, 2, 0, 0);
		delay(1);
	}
}

script 301 (void)
{
	ACS_Terminate (308, 0);
}

script 302 (void)
{
	ACS_Terminate (309, 0);
}
And add/change in the KEYCONF:

Code: Select all

addmenukey "Inward" +platin
alias +platin "puke 308"
alias -platin "puke 301"
defaultbind "kp8" "+platin"

addmenukey "Outward" +platout
alias +platout "puke 309"
alias -platout "puke 302"
defaultbind "kp5" "+platout"
Only problem is that he slides instead of having a walking animation...
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Wow, this is popular. I was gone for 1 whole day and it is up to 6 pages.

I think I found a bug...the inward and outward controls are mixed up. What I mean is when you face right and press the inward arrow, you go inward or in this case up. Okay, got that, but when I face left and press the inward, I go outward (down). Eh?
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Okay I edited E1M1 into a level for this... following layout changes.

1. Stair Armor moved onto path. Outside area removed.
2. All areas past the beginning rooms have been lifted to match stair armor height.
3. Computer room flipped, outside nukage pool area is in background now.
4. Computer room enclosure removed due to not being able to see through walls.
5. Curve before zigzag path removed.
6. Shotgun secret area, path to outside secret area, upstairs armor secret area, and switch to outside from stairs secret areas are removed.
7. Final room before exit made smaller.
8. Pillars in final room shrunk for better visibility.
9. Switch moved into linear path.
10. Bounding impassible lines added to prevent straying from the path and becoming stuck.
11. No items were removed, but items were moved around to new locations.

Now this -is- incomplete. It doesn't have the darkness to the right of the player. For two reasons. The first being that I did put the darkness there and realized the rest of the wad (all of Ultimate Doom) was still there. So I then opened the file up in XWE while it was still open in Doom Builder and that caused it to become corrupt (don't do that). Second reason is because I dunno how Torm did the darkness on his map and I'd feel much more comfortable with him doing it; after all his wad his vision. Not to mention it's still in Doom 1 format (cause I couldn't figure out how to convert it) and won't work loading it with Pogo (because I don't know why my last map didn't so I assume this one won't) so Torm has to add that info in. But other than that it's 99.9% complete.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Heh, thx Skunk ;) I will try to fix it up and release it in the upcoming version of Pogostick :) Good work ;)
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Alright, as promised here's an alternate method of controlling the player. Torm, help yourself to this code if you like. Also, I still need jumping doomguy sprites if anyone has them!

Remember, the controls are different so you will need to go into the controls menu and bind keys. I recommend using the arrow keys.

spidey-pogo-2.pk3 (edit: link updated)

Last edited by bagheadspidey on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Since this mod looks promising, I tried my hand at revising the control scheme. The idea is based upon another platform shooter that I have played. It works like this. The crosshair is in total control of the user. If the crosshair is to the left of the player the player faces left and vice versa. The only snag I've hit is how to get the player to be able to fire behind him/her. Due to other limitations I have to lock the cross hair when the weapon is fired (because I'm too lazy I only added the code to unlock the cross hair to the pistol and shotgun).

This control scheme is good because it allows you to backup while firing at the same time.

[Go down a few posts]
Last edited by Blzut3 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

I've got ESDF keys, E strafe left, D strafe right, S move backward, F move forward. But then you sometimes want to shoot back the way you came. So leftarrow is an alias that uses "puke 307" and switches the bindings for ESDF, and rightarrow uses "puke 306" and switches the bindings back to the facing-right configuration.
The problem is, when a movement key is held down when I use left or rightarrow, the +movement is stuck. I tried putting "-forward; -back; -moveright; -moveleft" at the end of the left and right aliases, but it doesn't work. I just have to make sure no keys are held down when I want to change directions.
When I want to play with mouse, I switch the alias buttons to W and R.

For hanging-from-ledge effect, could there be a ladder type of linedef near the top of the ledge, but not extending all the way to the floor?
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

How do I set up my controls for this because the current controls OBVIOUSLY aren't working correctly. O_o I'm still not turning around.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

skunk, you have to go into the options menu and set up your controls. I use up, down, left, right to move and z,x,c for open, jump, shoot.

Also, look two comments ago, I posted a version with different control scheme where the player moves relative to the camera and can face any direction. Alternatively, the standard zdoom controls can be used with my version (mouse to rotate player and aim up and down, wasd to move). But, i prefer the camera-relative motion.

Blzut also just posted another alternative control scheme that is similar to the alternate controls of my alternative control scheme no it's not. It's p[retty much like abuse's control scheme, actually. Works pretty well, although it still only lets you aim east or west. ;p

also:

If you are experiencing jerky motion, type "cl_capfps 1" in the console. the jerkiness is caused by the camera's position not being updated every frame if you are getting more than 35 fps, which as far as I can tell there is no way to avoid other than capping the frame rate...
Last edited by bagheadspidey on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Ok I played around with the code some more. I finally got firing to the left to work the only downside is for 1 tic the player will start walking the other direction so while firing the chaingun, for example, the player will stop dead in his/her track. Even at that this scheme is a lot better then the tap left and the player faces left scheme (which last time I checked was the same kind of scheme spidey was using).

http://blzut3.maniacsvault.net/Blzut3-Pogostick.zip

If you wish to use this code be sure to look at the modifications made to the decorate lump. The weapons had their fixed cross hair removed and I added the acs_executes for the locking and unlocking code. Also I had to make a "dummy player" which has its states synced to the real player (who is invisible). This requires no changes to the maps.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Guys, there is no need right now to try to improve the code :) The code on my machine - thx to Worst - is already capable of firing to the left, automatically looking into the walking direction (just like in standard Jump&Run platformers) and everything else that is needed :) I will upload a new version as soon as I get home and as soon as I finished the second map of this, so just stay tuned.

And then, if you have improvements for this new version v0.6, feel free to suggest them ;)
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Just wondering, is worst's code able to allow the player to do this (without GZDoom)?
http://blzut3.maniacsvault.net/vertfire.png
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Blzut3 wrote:Just wondering, is worst's code able to allow the player to do this (without GZDoom)?
[pic]
Blzut3's code is pretty impressive, definitely worth a look. Although I still like my simple controls better ;)
Tormentor667 wrote:The code on my machine - thx to Worst - is already capable of firing to the left, automatically looking into the walking direction (just like in standard Jump&Run platformers) and everything else that is needed
Worst's controls sound like they may be similar to mine? Then again, maybe not. It's interesting to see all these control schemes pop up...

Camera Crap...

There's something else... people that get above 35 fps could experience camera jitter -- the camera's position is updated every tic, and it is not interpolated, so the actor seems to jump forward in the extra frames. In my last post I recommended setting cl_capfps to 1 to eliminate the jitter.

Blzut3's latest variation has a side effect of getting around this jitter by having a dummy player who's position is updated every tic and not interpolated, like the camera -- so the dummy player never seems to "jump ahead." Not to be outdone, and none too happy with the cl_capfps solution, I decided to create a silky-smooth interpolated camera that does not cause jitter above 35 fps (i needed this anyway for demon drift, that camera had jitter too) ...

But i guess if you don't want it, I wont bother to post it ;)
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Will we ever be able to shoot straight back (away from screen) and straight towards the screen?
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

phi108 wrote:Will we ever be able to shoot straight back (away from screen) and straight towards the screen?
Tormentor667 wrote:The code on my machine - thx to Worst - is already capable of firing to the left, automatically looking into the walking direction
It sounds like it. Try the thing i posted a few posts ago (here's a link), it does what you are talking about.

edit - oh, what the hell.. all links updated. Interpolated camera included. Get it here.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”